Bolex 16/32 1.5x Anamorphic wildlife video 4:3 mode 4k

Ian Edward Weir

I just finished my new anamorphic wildlife video. I filmed for three days over the last few months on St. Vincent Island Wildlife Refuge. A very unique and beautiful place. So before you and I get lost in Starwars, The Revenant and The Hateful Eight, please sit back relax and take a journey through this wild island with me. 

Technical:
Filmed on a Panasonic GH4 in 4k
Bolex 16/32 1.5x anamorphic lens with Voigtländer 25mm F0.95, Voigtländer 42.5mm F0.95 and Takumar SMC 135mm F2.5 V2 as taking lens. I shot in anamorphic 4:3 mode on GH4.

• 1 month later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Interesting choice using 4:3 mode with a 1.5x anamorphic, as it'll give a 2.0 aspect ratio.

I've previously shot 16:9 at 1.5x, yielding 2.66 ratio. It looks super wide, and is quite pleasant, although there's always the temptation to crop the edges a little to bring it into the more common 2.39/2.40.

I might have to do some tests shooting 3:2 4K photo burst with my GX8, as 2.25 with a little horizontal crop probably yields the most over all resolution. Having said that, the far edges of the Bolex when you're pushing it close to the vignette (50-56mm EFL) probably benefit from a little edge crop from 2.66.

I'd be interested in your thought process to use 1.5x on 4:3.

PS. Forgot to add. Great video and really nice quality. I think the GH4 struggled a little in some scenes, especially in the highlights. Those Voigtlanders though!! 3D pop in abundance.

Just looked at your Baby Hypergonar with the Oly Pen F. The light and content seemed even nicer in this one. I don't think the Hypergonar can hold a candle to hanging on to resolution like the Bolex though. The think I was always find amazing with the Bolex, is you can use it wide open on all lenses with no discernible loss of sharpness (except in the taking lens).

Thanks for sharing. Nice results.