Sony NEX-5N film

ewanthomas

I shot a documentary last week about a Polish, Sussex based Landscape Photographer, Sławek Staszczuk here in the UK.

I'd read Andrew's great blogs about the Nex-5N and really liked what I read but this was the first shoot I'd really used it outside on location. And it was brilliant.

I got the amazing 35mm SLR Magic F1.7 (which is simply magical) and it was perfect for capturing shots at dawn as we walked to the amazing white chalk cliffs of the Seven Sisters. I took my 550D along (and it fell in the sea, smashing a Tokina 11-16mm in HALF!) which was a blow, but by then it was all about the 5N and the best footage by far that I shot was on that. Some shots were a bit soft (absolutely no light before dawn!) but worked to create the atmosphere.

I'm blown away by the quality of the 5N, it grades really nicely, even the 16mm pancake that comes with it works a treat and the movable LCD is great. The quality is simply stunning for a small camera and hopefully with the EOS - Emount adapter I'll be able to use all my Canon glass on it soon.

Big thanks to Andrew for all the blogs about the 5N, really helped me find a camera that works wonderfully for this sort of film-making.

Here it is [url=http://vimeo.com/35988208]THE SHOT - documentary about a landscape photographer[/url]

Let me know what you think. Thanks

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Thanks Amro! Really appreciate your comment. I've got a Manfrotto tripod (I think it's the 190 legs with a cheap pan head on it) it's not great for video (bit too light) but it is great for running around with because it's so light. For my handheld shots I just pull the legs out and hold the tripod! I'd love to have the time to get a steadicam up and running but most of the time you'd miss too much I think. It's not an ideal solution but the 5N is so light I find it's pretty easy to hold the camera for a while like this. You should definitely shoot something with yours! Love to see it.