Poll... STARWARS WILL BE RUBBISH?

richg101

STARWARS will exhibit every aspect true film enthusiasts hate about modern cinema  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Rather than a movie for real film enthusiasts, those who go to see the movie will likely come away feeling like they watched a movie not far off Transformers or a Marvel based film.

• No way. The new Star Wars is obviously going to do the business and fulfil my every want and need from a cinema experience.
    • I'm not watching it because I know it'll be garbage, just like nearly every modern cash cow milking session of a trusted franchise.
    • I'm going in with an open mind. I hope they don't make the same mistakes as seen in Jurrassic World

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I was talking with some friends a few hours ago, all big Star Wars fans, and it was funny how all 4 of us had a different ranking of all 6 previous episodes. So I thought I would spice this up a bit:

Mine was: VI-V-III-IV-I-II

(VI and V would really be a draw... I think Empire is a better film, but Jedi just resonates with my childhood a bit more)

Yours guys?

I was talking with some friends a few hours ago, all big Star Wars fans, and it was funny how all 4 of us had a different ranking of all 6 previous episodes. So I thought I would spice this up a bit:

Mine was: VI-V-III-IV-I-II

(VI and V would really be a draw... I think Empire is a better film, but Jedi just resonates with my childhood a bit more)

Yours guys?

I'd say IV, V, VI, III, II, I

I'll re-assess Friday.

I really enjoyed it.

I didn't read any leaks or spoilers, but still has my assumptions about the majority of the framework going in and most of my hunches were correct.

All the acting felt great to me. There were some really promising moments for future set ups. I'm really excited to see what Rian Johnson does with it.

There was some stuff I didn't love, but nothing I hated. I'm eager to watch it again

I really enjoyed it.

I didn't read any leaks or spoilers, but still has my assumptions about the majority of the framework going in and most of my hunches were correct.

All the acting felt great to me. There were some really promising moments for future set ups. I'm really excited to see what Rian Johnson does with it.

There was some stuff I didn't love, but nothing I hated. I'm eager to watch it again

I think Rian Johnson will bring a fresh style to the series. He's a great choice for the second one.

Well, I enjoyed it a lot... but didn't love it. A bit like with the first Hobbit film, quite good but not LOTR level. I few things bugged me and didn't make much sense... Why did they kill Luke? Just kidding;), (Sorry, had to do it)... spoiler free... the biggest issue was the "abilities of (some) the Jedi"

There's a scene where a character is very conflicted and I liked the lighting they had. Red on one side of the face, light blue on the other. I liked the movie, but as a huge star wars fan, there were a lot of scenes I mentally compared to the originals as they unfolded. I was thinking "JJ, there's homage and then straight up ripoffs." I saw a headline calling it a Mashup Masterpiece and yeah. Perfect description. 

Kinda on subject with cinematography and the like, did anyone notice the focus pulls felt a tad too quick? I'm not sure if my eyes deceive me, but there seemed to be a lot of focus breathing going on too. It's quite a pleasing aesthetic overall, just several quirks here and there in particular for me, but you can't please everyone.

Kinda on subject with cinematography and the like, did anyone notice the focus pulls felt a tad too quick? I'm not sure if my eyes deceive me, but there seemed to be a lot of focus breathing going on too. It's quite a pleasing aesthetic overall, just several quirks here and there in particular for me, but you can't please everyone.

Yep, I found them quite evident, and I could have sworn that some of the shots were a touch out of focus... but nice retro feel to it. 

Kylo Ren is a great new villain. Nothing like him before in Star Wars. Temper tantrums with a light saber. Anakin had moments but his were more anger. Kylo's were more uncontrolled and wild. So stoked to see what Rian Johnson does with him.

I liked Kylo too. And yes, in Rian Johnson we trust, a perfect match for a darker Episode VIII!!

I liked it too, not as overly JJ as those Star Trek movies, but the whip pans and shallow DOF quick zooms are as played as the flares, so glad he's not doing the next one. My only real complaints is the plot was pretty transparent, nothing at all was surprising. Second, it's basically a remake of the original, but I get it, they're bridging the old with the new. Lastly, they changed the pitch of the blasters and put too much bass in the light sabers, they sound funny. I watched Empire and Jedi earlier in the week, I think they should have kept the same sounds.

I agree with others, Kylo Ren is badass, a much darker dark side. Love it.

Saw it in a packed theater, every time one of the old favorites appeared on screen the place erupted in cheers, a cool moviegoing experience. 

Saw it opening night last week after ordering tickets like 3 months ago... Never did that before, ha.

Really great moviegoing experience: cheers and applause from the audience, a great atmosphere. And the film totally earned it, I feel. Yeah, the plot is quite similar to Ep. IV but they nailed the characters, I cared for 'em and the film is just good fun. Very much looking forward to the next one.