Poll... STARWARS WILL BE RUBBISH?

richg101

STARWARS will exhibit every aspect true film enthusiasts hate about modern cinema  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Rather than a movie for real film enthusiasts, those who go to see the movie will likely come away feeling like they watched a movie not far off Transformers or a Marvel based film.

• No way. The new Star Wars is obviously going to do the business and fulfil my every want and need from a cinema experience.
    • I'm not watching it because I know it'll be garbage, just like nearly every modern cash cow milking session of a trusted franchise.
    • I'm going in with an open mind. I hope they don't make the same mistakes as seen in Jurrassic World

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I will watch it, but I'm afraid it will be as described in answer two. Episode IV in 1977 ended a decade of independant cinema, with fresh, unpredictable stories and often very subversive messages. In one way it was pure cinema, in another it was the death of cinema. Another undead film.

I will watch it. I actually scheduled an off day just because of it. But not necessarily because I'm such a Star Wars fanboy. Just because the largest cinema screen (260m²) here in Austria with NEC digital 4K projection, imm sound/Dolby 23.1 (69 360° surround speakers, 5 vertically projecting ceiling speakers, creating a 3D sound) and super comfy VIP chairs is usually reserved only for movies with the audio post-synchronized in German language. Yugh. I don't get that. I've watched the last Indiana Jones that way and it made it twice as bad as it already was. :) Just do subtitles and then you might even pick up a thing or two in English, people (like they do in The Netherlands, you know). Anyways. This is the first time I've seen them offering a movie as Original Version with that UCI Kino iSens-format. So, I'm kinda most excitied for the cinema experience itself. But I did love the earlier Star Wars movies. I guess nobody really liked the later ones all that much. But I think it will be hard to top an old classic like that, they'll need to bring it. If the light saber is any indicator this movie is doomed to be kinda ridiculous. But..! I'm going in with an open mind... and hopefully we see some of that old glory. Either way, I'll at least be an experience richer.

I'm so excited.

Then don't hide it! Are you about to lose control and do you think you'll like it?

Yes. Opening night I'm sticking to regular format for nostalgic purposes. The next day IMAX 3D.

Nice! Twice the fun. I was in London around newyears, partly just to see The Hobbit at the ODEON BFI IMAX theatre. Now, the movie wasn't that great, but the experience was!

Seeing a film shot anamorphic on custom built 35mm Panavision Millenium and IMAX cameras will be worth a watch, if not for the spectacle/ geek factor alone. The next film 'Rogue One' will be on Alexa 65 with Tarantino's Ultra Panavision 70 anamorphic lenses.

Regardless of being a fan or not, it's good to see filmmakers are making films that actually bother to bring back spectacle to the cinema experience. 

If it was not for George Lucas' pushing of technology for the original trilogy and the advancement of digital camera technology (specifically Sony) for the repulsive prequel films, we would not be running around with 4k cameras for under $100k right now - or be able to afford any digital post production software (including Photoshop). So directly or indirectly, every filmmaker who shoots digital or uses post production software owes a debt of gratitude to the Star Wars franchise and the bearded cocaine addict George Lucas.

...any digital post production software (including Photoshop). So directly or indirectly, every filmmaker who shoots digital or uses post production software owes a debt of gratitude to the Star Wars franchise and the bearded cocaine addict George Lucas.

How's that? Because Thomas his brother worked at ILM? And AE... someone told them the force is with them?

Intrigued!

If it was not for George Lucas' pushing of technology...

Let's not give the guy undue credit. He gets enough of that as it is. 

He was on the vanguard of digital, but the industry was moving forward regardless. 

NHK had a lot more to do with camera design and capabilities than George ever would. 

...That's not to say Sony wasn't keen to let the world know who turned to them to do real-world-test-work with their HD cams.  Not bad PR to have a famous camera geek (who just happens to be the creator of the industry's most important entertainment property) give it a "thumbs up."  

As for the new film. I think it will be very competent, kind of fun, and all that.  But, our zeitgeist just isn't the same anymore to make StarWars as magical as it originally was. 

Much like superhero movies now, as Disney cranks out numerous movies based on this universe, it'll be impossible to not be blasé about it. You'll probably enjoy 'em, but it'll never be transcendental as StarWars was during the Empire Strikes Back years.  

As for "Awakens," I already bought my ticket. 

Hey, capturing a fraction of nostalgia is worth $20 and a few hours if my time.  The Mouse knows this.

Its JJ Abrams, so if Star Trek is anything to go by then it'll be good - can't see him messing up, can you?

But i've still got in the back of my mind that its Star Wars & so nothing will top the first film or the sheer wonder/impression that viewing it at the time had.

The only film of that era that absolutely topped Star Wars was Alien.

In the end, its going to be what its going to be - some will love it, others will be dissappointed. Its going to be interesting though & probably the best Blockbuster there's been for quite a while or will be for quite some time.

How's that? Because Thomas his brother worked at ILM? And AE... someone told them the force is with them?

Intrigued!

http://www.creativebloq.com/adobe/history-photoshop-12052724

Let's not give the guy undue credit. He gets enough of that as it is. 

He was on the vanguard of digital, but the industry was moving forward regardless. 

NHK had a lot more to do with camera design and capabilities than George ever would. 

...That's not to say Sony wasn't keen to let the world know who turned to them to do real-world-test-work with their HD cams.  Not bad PR to have a famous camera geek (who just happens to be the creator of the industry's most important entertainment property) give it a "thumbs up."  

Lucas had to drag Sony into the movie camera business, at first they (or NHK) did not see the importance of filmic frame rates or how to accomodate PL lenses - so he convinced them to collaborate with Panavision and started the conversation between filmmakers and electronics giants. The Alexa has become the benchmark film crew friendly camera because it successfully fuses Arri's excellence and experience in film cameras, and transposed that to digital. Incidentaly the sensor inside an Alexa was developed by Sony.

I don't think Lucas has enough credit, it's far too easy to flame him over the prequels and forget how much he nurtured and pushed technology in vision,sound,editing,animation to where we are today. He also gave his 4 billion dollars to charity from selling Star Wars to Disney after proclaiming 'I have enough money'. 

The Force Awakens will probably be appropriate for most fans to have further distance from the prequel films, as well as set up a new generation to be introduced. They have more films planned until at least 2019 so I don't think Disney will be worrying about the health of their cash cow, or critic reviews. People will always watch these films and it's a smart move getting different directors for each film, as if any individual film sucks - it will be on the head of that specific director.

I'm expecting The Force Awakens to be like the best made fan film ever made...if it can offer new and interesting things within its expectation, that will be a welcome bonus.

http://www.creativebloq.com/adobe/history-photoshop-12052724

His brother still works at ILM too: appropriately enough, he was Visual Effects Supervisor on all three of the new Star Wars films. Without the original Star Wars, there would have been no Photoshop; and with no Photoshop, your job, this magazine and the entire graphics design industry would be very different from how they are today.

Ahha ...well it must be a 'force' thingy, as I -not even for a little bit- get how the job of the brother is related  to 'ILM/Lucas' being the creative force behind Photoshop.

[snip] Fortunately for the future of digital imaging, this wasn't a long-term deal, and John soon returned to Adobe to drum up more interest.[snip]

Don't you think John is a little bit unfaithfull in this part of the article. There we have our beloved Lucas being a creative force and all and before you know it, this little weasel John visits Adobe to sell Lucas out.

And some ten years later Lucas even makes John his Visual Effects Supervisor on the new starwars films. I don't think Lucas has ever realised how mean John has treated him back in those days.

I am sure I am in the minority, but I see Abrams' Trek reboot as reason to expect the opposite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B22Uy7SBe4

The second one was so full of holes and such a ridiculous premise that set the whole story in motion - it was flat out awful and had as many holes as the last Christopher Nolan Batman film. After the "terrorist attack" the whole Star Fleet executive branch decides to meet in what looks like a Hilton banquet room with no protection? They don't go underground? And I know it seems far fetched - but they don't go into space where they can't be tracked? I mean they have a whole Star Fleet to protect them, instead they opt for the continental breakfast so they can get slaughtered by one guy in a Jetsons car. Good lord, gimme a break. If I wasn't with my wife, I would have walked out right there. That was beyond stupid and it only got worse as the movie dragged on. I hope in this one the plot doesn't play second fiddle to JJ's idiotic anamorphic shaky cam. KAAAAHHHHHNNNNNN!!!!!!!

I'm going to watch the new movie because Star Wars was the coolest thing I saw as a kid. I hope it doesn't disappoint. With Lucas not very involved, there's a chance.

Back in the day they would make movies where the target audience would identify with the character, I can't see this being the case with the new Star Wars unless they plan to change their audience.

Disney is hoping to bridge the gap between lifelong Star Wars fans, and a new generation that aren't fans yet. They're giving the original characters one last goodbye, and bringing in new characters/stories. Sounds like they're going the Marvel route with genre films in the Star Wars universe.

Talking about cash cow milking: http://i.imgur.com/THMdEqj.jpg and http://i.imgur.com/R2zYkAj.jpg

On a side note, I recently rewatched Prometheus. I guess my first expectations from that movie really turned me off since I didn't enjoy it much the first time. The second time I watched it, I found that I enjoyed it. Guess it really helped when I already knew that the film showed the alien universe in a very different way than what I had first expected.