Scarlet W - why would I get a Raven?

Jonesy Jones

With their new Scarlet announced which seems pretty great, why would I get a Raven (except of course for a B cam)? I realize $5K is not chump change, but if I were going to buy Raven, wouldn't I just get the Scarlet W?

http://www.red.com/products/scarlet-w?utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=CTA_button&utm_campaign=SCARLET-W_Launch

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

What glass I own or use would be my main consideration when deciding between the two.  If I rarely or never use pl glass i'd lean towards raven.  I don't believe the comparative gain in image quality/frame rate would be enough to make a perceivable difference over the scarlet-w for the  majority of projects these cams will be used for. (depending on actual performance once the cams are available of course)  For projects that require the best, a highly spec'd Alexa, a Weapon, or F65 would be in order anyways.   The roughly $5k savings I would spend on other imaging tools like a quality set of sticks/head, a decent jib, or a grading panel,  all of which can still be used with all the new cams that come out next year... and the next....

That's some crazy frame rate options. Still, wonder how it stacks up to the Ursa mini as far as value goes. The mini seems like a lot of camera for the $$. 

I'm sure Ursa Mini is a better value, but it cannot even compete with those frame rate options. Along with 2K 240fps, and 2K ProRes full frame that isn't cropped.

The Scarlet-W looks like the best camera they have made in a while. 

Again, don't preorder.  Wait for it to come out.  Do tests.  Rent it.  Use it against other cameras.  Then decide.

Pre-order a $10,000-$20,000 piece of kit is perhaps the dumbest thing in the world to do.  

Find out what surprises can happen with their camera.  How it handles dynamic range, etc etc.  How its fan works - all that stuff.

Early adopters always get burned.

I ususally wait a year after the camera is out to buy it.  And in the meantime rent it for gigs and test it.