Buying a Canon 7D mkII

Henry Gentles

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Come on men, wildlife shooting, birds require long focal... APSC size is an argument to consider... 24x36 is 1.6 times less longer...

Then NX1, 5DIII, all "full frames" are non sense.

For vidéo though i should not take a canon... It is great when you don't want to shoot some serious work, but the codec and the manner to use the sensor in video is just weird...

Time to define your needs for video...

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

It's the best Autofocusing system and lens collection in the world for bird/wildlife/sports application. Nothing beats that beast for speed, reliability and ACCURACY in every shot. You'll know when you use it. 

Video quality, it's identical to the 5D MKIII (H.264). So softer than 1080p but sharpens nicely. No aliasing/moire, a stop better low light performance vs D5300 series (surprisingly very close to 5DIII in noise). The colours are of course nice. It has a very competeny audio setup along with a headphone jack and silent manual controls. Also clean HDMI out that carries audio,and unlike all nikons it can be set to any frame rate and has embedded timecode for triggering. It has a dedicated Dead-on 24p mode (not 23.97), first I've seen in a DSLR, the camera warns you not to use it unless you're intercuttung with negative film footage. Has the only video AF system that works and tracks subjects. 

The reason why we video people don't like it is because the Nikon D3/500 series offer comparable IQ (slighly less video features) but at 1000$ less. And because at the 7DII cost we can buy higher resolution 4K cameras. Basically, we can't pay all that extra money for the camera's sports/birding/wildlide/ovf/AF/stills ability just to use it for video, very dumb choice. But for someone doing both, it's one of the best choices. Just shoot with zero sharpness and apply post sharpening and you get a very nice 1080p image, even better than our beloved D5000 series. You'll be pleasantly surprised by it's video capability when you're a web reader, and you'll be shocked by the stills performance and quality engineering put in that body. You can basically play football with it and continue shooting the after party. 

Come on men, wildlife shooting, birds require long focal... APSC size is an argument to consider... 24x36 is 1.6 times less longer...

For vidéo though i should not take a canon... It is great when you don't want to shoot some serious work, but the codec and the manner to use the sensor in video is just weird...

nx1 is apsc...

When did the nx1 turn fullframe? Was it the same time as the 70d did?

Yeah they're only $1500 now, here in Australia so just can't say no to this, mechanically it's basically a 1D but in apsc and better noise specs!! Unbelievable value! I have an old 5D mkii which I love, and want to go to 5D mkiii but I'm hoping that in a few months they will drop massively in price or they have something better coming out, either way I'm crossing my fingers I can get another bargain like the 7D mkii!!

• Administrators

For telephoto / wildlife a 7D Mk II with Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 beats 5D Mark III with 70-200mm F2.8L any day, just so much nicer to carry around than that fat bastard :)

I am using the sigma zoom on the NX1 for 4K at the moment. It is also par focal!

The biggest edge for 7D Mark II in video mode is that it does real time vignette correction, chromatic abberation correction and lens distortion correction(with Canon lenses), it basically gives you 99% of the optical performance of an ultra high end cinema lenses. Also it's great for VFX shots since vfx artists don't need to undistort the plates before comping.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Yes the added corrections are absolutely awesome. They just make lenses better. I really loved the Distortion correction.

@Zach Ashcraft just keep in mind, although I am recommending the 7DII and find it a great video camera for the reasons mentioned before, it IS of low resolution/sharpness. If you were shooting with any 4K camera or a C100/A7s type of resolution, when you first import the 7DII files, you'all be disappointed, simply soft. A big part of that aside from lower real resolution than full HD, is that Canon at zero sharpness PS setting which you will use, does indeed add ZERO sharpening to the image, the 1Dc at 4K is soft. So like the 5DIII, the image gets SO much better when you apply a sharpening filter in your NLE. The image comes to life, you can see detail that were invisible, and it comes closer to modern 1080p cameras. It responds to sharpening better than any camera I've seen perhaps due to the All-I 90mbps coded! zero digital sharpenin, and zero aliasing/Moire artifacts. So make sure you don't get too disappointed with the first import. The camera is indeed lower real resolution vs many modern cameras and lower sharpness so if highly detailed 1080p/4K is a priority in your shooting type, steer away clear from the 7DII, use a 4K camera or at least a sharp 1080p one (c100/a7s) For example shooting landscape or stock footage. But if you're shooting video/film/music and for 1080p monitor consumption it really is good enough 1080p sharpness and is a camera with many benefits not found anywhere else. 

Yes the added corrections are absolutely awesome. They just make lenses better. I really loved the Distortion correction.

@Zach Ashcraft just keep in mind, although I am recommending the 7DII and find it a great video camera for the reasons mentioned before, it IS of low resolution/sharpness. If you were shooting with any 4K camera or a C100/A7s type of resolution, when you first import the 7DII files, you'all be disappointed, simply soft. A big part of that aside from lower real resolution than full HD, is that Canon at zero sharpness PS setting which you will use, does indeed add ZERO sharpening to the image, the 1Dc at 4K is soft. So like the 5DIII, the image gets SO much better when you apply a sharpening filter in your NLE. The image comes to life, you can see detail that were invisible, and it comes closer to modern 1080p cameras. It responds to sharpening better than any camera I've seen perhaps due to the All-I 90mbps coded! zero digital sharpenin, and zero aliasing/Moire artifacts. So make sure you don't get too disappointed with the first import. The camera is indeed lower real resolution vs many modern cameras and lower sharpness so if highly detailed 1080p/4K is a priority in your shooting type, steer away clear from the 7DII, use a 4K camera or at least a sharp 1080p one (c100/a7s) For example shooting landscape or stock footage. But if you're shooting video/film/music and for 1080p monitor consumption it really is good enough 1080p sharpness and is a camera with many benefits not found anywhere else. 

Appreciate the thoughts. I went back in my archives and reviewed some of the footage I've shot on the 5D3 over the years, and was really pleased with how it looked. The only exception really is landscape shots, or wide exterior/establishing shots. Overall though I find I like the image more than much of what i've shot on the a7s and a7rii, and I'm not entirely sure why that is. All this to say, I've got access to a C100MK2 at work so its there if I ever need it! 

Mine is arriving today, and I'm really looking forward to the dual pixel AF on the Ronin-m. 

Mine arrives in 2 Days, can't wait!! Didn't read all the specs properly but it shoots 60fps, so it may be a very useful camera for sharp servo shots for slo mo with its amazing AF?

Well, prepare to be slightly disappointed. I guess I should've read up on this more, but it actually doesn't do servo AF at 1080/60. It'll do it at 1080 24fps and 30fps, and 720 60, but not 1080 60. I am a little annoyed because while this is somewhat documented around the web, it doesn't appear to be on the specs list of B&H. 

Alas...maybe in a firmware update. Initial impressions are good though. Nice to have a camera that actually responds quickly when I press any button. 

Well, prepare to be slightly disappointed. I guess I should've read up on this more, but it actually doesn't do servo AF at 1080/60. It'll do it at 1080 24fps and 30fps, and 720 60, but not 1080 60. I am a little annoyed because while this is somewhat documented around the web, it doesn't appear to be on the specs list of B&H. 

Alas...maybe in a firmware update. Initial impressions are good though. Nice to have a camera that actually responds quickly when I press any button. 

Yep, 60p/50p - no Dual Pixel AF and Servo focus mode: http://***URL removed***/reviews/canon-eos-7d-mark-ii/14