Why 4k TVs Make Movies Look Like Soap Operas

DBounce

I don't know in your countries how broadcast tv looks. I bought a new 4K 55" panasonic tv here in Italy. I dedicated 10 minutes to cancel any "improvement" to the image from the tv set. But the problem is broadcast, it looks like shit. SD is a seminar on compression artefacts. HD is somehow better (only 5 channels on national TV in Italy and not all the time!).  SKY satellite is horrible too. Then I watched one of my videos on YouTube (with the tv app) and it looked wonderful! It's pretty sad that broadcasting is destroying the work of thousand of professionals.

I still remember when broadcast was the quality and for the web the bad one!!! Nowadays is the opposite!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I've lost count at how many family/friends TV sets I've "fixed". 

Quite recently I walked into a friends house and they were watching the Walking Dead. My first reaction was "why does it look so cheap"? and within 5 seconds I picked up the remote and turned off that awful "Tru Motion" thing. As if by magic, The Walking Dead didn't look cheap anymore - it was looking great. Nobody in the room noticed the difference untilI I switched it to compare. "You are a genius!" they said. Erm...

To be honest, it absolutely bamboozles me why the TV manufacturers have this hideous setting on as default. It's as if they are trying to programme our minds to watch things differently. But it's just not right. Like the Hobbit in 48fps... it's horrible. The magic is gone. 

The magic of natural, seamless 24fps is timeless. It works. It doesn't need altering. The TV manufacturers need to stop. 

To be honest, it absolutely bamboozles me why the TV manufacturers have this hideous setting on as default. It's as if they are trying to programme our minds to watch things differently. But it's just not right. Like the Hobbit in 48fps... it's horrible. The magic is gone. 

When they have TV sets side by side on the display show, all that truemotion stuff makes them look "better". I've turned this off on quite a few TV sets and a lot of people say they liked it better the other way :S

What I am missing are 4K movies, I want to buy quite a few classics on 4K for pixel peeping, but they are just not available, there is just this 4K remastered, but it's plain 1080p.

Mods, please change the title of this thread.  As has been stated it has nothing to do with resolution nor the latest generation of TVs.  This BS has been going on for years.

Also TVs are set up a particular way to appeal on a brightly lit showroom floor surrounded by a bunch of other TVs they are competing with.  They are NOT set up the best way for a dimly lit videographer's living room.

I sometimes don't really notice the settings till I pop one of my movies in.  Then it leaps out at me that the settings are terrible.  The amped up sharpening is the worst.