Olympus EM-D ii Stills Graded with Color Charts

Ed_David

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I normalized. Messed with color contrast highlights lowered. Added film grain. Added blue in shadows. Contrast. A whole bunch of messing around to make it feel like fiji eterna.

Camera is great in everything but crappy fluorescent lighting. Sensor stabilization is a miracle.  Would rate it at 400 iso for clean video.

Shot with 7 to 14mm olympus pro lens

Was a body rig....snorticam attached to actor.

Nice looking images; confirms my experiences with the EM5II.  Out of the box you're not going to get the ideal motion picture images from it, but a little manipulation in cam and in post you can make it look very respectable.

I dunno.  I've found it more than capable.  Others not so much.  

As for the film...I want to know what's in the case.  It's Marsellus Wallace's soul, right? ;-)

There is some random ND solution for the lens but I didn't think of buying it in time.

So we shot in daylight at 200 ISO it's lowest setting and a f-stop around 5.6 or 8.  This is how people used to shoot outside, at f/8 - like the westerns.  But of course it is not ideal, but using tape or gaffer nd to the lens, well it's rigged to the guys body so didn't really want to try that.

But maybe tomorrow I'm bring a few pieces of ND and try taping to the lens - maybe a horrible idea.

The camera is good going out 4:2:2 8-bit, but internal codec is h.264, best setting is intraframe h.264 and I felt it didn't have enough resolution or it had some kind of weird softness to the camera.

Shot day 2 today - went really well - a bunch of interiors, playing with light.

Again still think this is mostly a 400 ISO camera to get decent results.  After the A7S which is clean up to I think 2000 ISO, it's an interesting test. The moire on this guy is pretty bad.  I think most micro 4/3rd sensors suffer from this issue.

The problem is the snorricam rig is attached to the actor and he's wearing it 10 hours a day - so every pound is multiplied by 3x and it's going into his back, not his chest - so it really digs it hard.  It's super painful.  We did it with the metabones ultra and a Tokina lens and it added about 1.5 lbs in weight - so it added x 3 about 6 lbs in weight which made it really heavy for him.  

The ergonomics of this snorricam rig from the back like from a video game 3rd person perspective is super super tiring.  I could only last in my tests for about 20 minutes before I started to feel serious fatigue, and he's running, moving up and down, moving everywhere - it's a super demanding rig, and the actor is not a stunt person who worked out his lumbar area for a month prior to the shoot.

Why to use the Olympus - because It's a short film commissioned by Olympus. :) 

Ed, thanks for that! 

Sounds like an excellent reason for using Olympus cameras ;-)

Please keep sharing your experience : I love my EM5 MK 2 for stills and suspect that, if I just tried hard enough, there might be some way to usefully use it for film making, despite its shortcomings... Yes, fizzy codec and moiré...

stills day 3.

Lesson learned the hard way - use the on camera histogram - anything underexposed will have really bad chroma macroblocking or something random.  Neatvideo can't clean this up.

Also I wish I had more time to do underexposure and overexposure tests.

I think it can be clean up to 640 ISO - I don't know actually that well.

Shoot is done.  Film should be ready early next year.

Blackmagic DaVinci ResolveScreenSnapz190.jpg

Blackmagic DaVinci ResolveScreenSnapz180.jpg

Blackmagic DaVinci ResolveScreenSnapz178.jpg

Blackmagic DaVinci ResolveScreenSnapz177.jpg

Blackmagic DaVinci ResolveScreenSnapz176.jpg

Blackmagic DaVinci ResolveScreenSnapz159.jpg

Blackmagic DaVinci ResolveScreenSnapz143.jpg

Blackmagic DaVinci ResolveScreenSnapz142.jpg

Blackmagic DaVinci ResolveScreenSnapz138.jpg

Blackmagic DaVinci ResolveScreenSnapz137.jpg

Blackmagic DaVinci ResolveScreenSnapz136.jpg

Blackmagic DaVinci ResolveScreenSnapz130.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

stills day 3.

Lesson learned the hard way - use the on camera histogram - anything underexposed will have really bad chroma macroblocking or something random.  Neatvideo can't clean this up.

Also I wish I had more time to do underexposure and overexposure tests.

I think it can be clean up to 640 ISO - I don't know actually that well.

Shoot is done.  Film should be ready early next year.

Blackmagic DaVinci ResolveScreenSnapz190.jpg

Blackmagic DaVinci ResolveScreenSnapz180.jpg

Blackmagic DaVinci ResolveScreenSnapz178.jpg

Blackmagic DaVinci ResolveScreenSnapz177.jpg

Blackmagic DaVinci ResolveScreenSnapz176.jpg

Blackmagic DaVinci ResolveScreenSnapz159.jpg

Blackmagic DaVinci ResolveScreenSnapz143.jpg

Blackmagic DaVinci ResolveScreenSnapz142.jpg

Blackmagic DaVinci ResolveScreenSnapz138.jpg

Blackmagic DaVinci ResolveScreenSnapz137.jpg

Blackmagic DaVinci ResolveScreenSnapz136.jpg

Blackmagic DaVinci ResolveScreenSnapz130.jpg