Camera settings help.

craigbuckley

So I am still getting the hang of my gh2 and I have been fooling around with the settings a bunch. I know its better to use a camera in the MANUAL exposure mode but when I use it in AUTOMATIC it looks so much better.

I can't figure it out. I have my gh2 on a tripod with a 24mm canon fd f2.8. I point at the wall and switch between the A dial and the M dial and when its on the A dial it has way more light and looks much better compared to the M dial... And I compared the two settings of each dial but they are pretty much the same- same ISO, same aperture, same shutter speed....

What could cause this drastic difference?

Thanks.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The A dial is Aperture Priority, which allows you control of your aperture but shutter speed and ISO shift (if you want the ISO to shift). Also, since there's not electronic communication from your lens to the camera, it might be trying to compensate for the image it sees since it's not getting any data from your lens. What are your settings?

for video you should be on Cinema 24p mode on the GH2 as that is AVCHD

A and M are interlaced modes not progressive and they have auto iso if you shoot video in those modes...not good....

turn the dial to M with the little camera logo that is cinema mode and set the rec quality to 24H in the menu.

Andrew Read's GH2 book fully describes how to set your GH2 up for shooting the best quality AVCHD 24p

I purchased that book and set up my gh2 exactly how he had described but thats not the problem. Even under film mode with the exposure set to A its way more clear and bright than compared to the M mode. So I know it means my setting in manual mode aren't right but I checked them and they looked the same as the A settings... It seems raising the ISO makes it brighter but under the A settings it says ISO is at a low 160... I figured if I could get the settings in manual mode to be exactly as they are  in aperture priority, then I would know what would be causing the darkness.. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

So I am still getting the hang of my gh2 and I have been fooling around with the settings a bunch. I know its better to use a camera in the MANUAL exposure mode but when I use it in AUTOMATIC it looks so much better.

I can't figure it out. I have my gh2 on a tripod with a 24mm canon fd f2.8. I point at the wall and switch between the A dial and the M dial and when its on the A dial it has way more light and looks much better compared to the M dial... And I compared the two settings of each dial but they are pretty much the same- same ISO, same aperture, same shutter speed....

What could cause this drastic difference?

Thanks.

is this after you record or just looking at the lcd/lvf without recording? the gh2, and even the gh1 at times, have some weird quirks as to how it shows the image through the camera. sometimes it will drastically change when you hit record; but if you know your exposure for a given shot, it shouldn't matter what it looks like when you're not rolling.

stick with manual mode, 24p cinema if that's your intent, 'sh' for 720p/60fps. 1/50 shutter speed (1/125 for 60fps) and then use iso and aperture for exposure. the live histogram is very helpful for this, as, like i said, the lcd/lvf isn't always accurately displaying what it will look like when you hit record

I purchased that book and set up my gh2 exactly how he had described but thats not the problem. Even under film mode with the exposure set to A its way more clear and bright than compared to the M mode. So I know it means my setting in manual mode aren't right but I checked them and they looked the same as the A settings... It seems raising the ISO makes it brighter but under the A settings it says ISO is at a low 160... I figured if I could get the settings in manual mode to be exactly as they are  in aperture priority, then I would know what would be causing the darkness.. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

if you use A or M on the dial they both have auto iso when you shoot video in those modes

so thats why it suddenly looks brighter - its the camera internally going 'lets massively increase the iso for this shot'

plus your files are interlaced not progressive

So just keep it in cinema mode for all video - forget A and M as these are mainly for taking stills not video .

I keep my camera on cinema 24 p mode all the time

I mainly use 1/50 sec shutter all the time Craig

as I am in Europe and we have 50hz mains electricty

keep the iso as low as you can I try shoot 160 or 200 iso mainly

Use fast lenses if it is dark

get a Pentax C mount 25mm f1.4 cctv lens if your canon 24mm f2.8 is still too dark

Ok thanks guys but I think you are misunderstanding me...

@gravitatemediagroup

I have been using my camera everyday shooting things and trying new exposures, only using manual mode so you don't get it... I use manual exposure under FILM MODE when I am in the VIDEO dial, (I don't record video under the M or A dials, I meant A or M under exposure under film mode)...

And when I start recording the exposure does not change so I know its not a pre-shot thing. Its basically I have my 24mm in a pretty well lighted room and the video is pretty dark with my aperture all the way open and my shutter speed at 50, but once I adjust the ISO I can see better... The thing is I don't want to over use the ISO, so I try to mimick the settings under A exposure mode (when in film dial) because it looks so much better, but I can't get it to look like that manually is my point.