Panasonic developing 8K sensor for consumer and broadcast cameras

Andrew Reid

BMD is moving away from MFT??? What silliness, they announced not one new MFT camera but *TWO* new MFT cameras at the last NAB! What greater commitment is there than announcing more new cameras for the MFT mount. 

For me, their new MFT cameras that don't record internally are professional/industrial niche products.  I was hoping for a 4K version of the BMPCC, or one with photo capability, or a better screen, etc.  But hey, I'm the last one who wants to give an opinion about something I know NOTHING about!  So I may be more than silly, I may be dead wrong.  And to clarify, I don't believe the future of MFT is dependent on BM in any way.  Panasonic and Olympus are still innovating.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

These R&D announcements usually don't map particularly well to reality.  Often they are more PR than R&D.  What Panasonic needs and needs badly in the GH5 is something to compete with the stuff coming from Sony and Blackmagic.   They need high quality 96 FPS 4k with global shutter around 30-60 FPS and less photo sites to improve low light. I don't have an opinion one way or another on micro 4/3.  If they made it a Super35 sensor that would be great.  Micro 4/3 would be just fine as I have Speedboosters.

These R&D announcements usually don't map particularly well to reality.  Often they are more PR than R&D.  What Panasonic needs and needs badly in the GH5 is something to compete with the stuff coming from Sony and Blackmagic.   They need high quality 96 FPS 4k with global shutter around 30-60 FPS and less photo sites to improve low light. I don't have an opinion one way or another on micro 4/3.  If they made it a Super35 sensor that would be great.  Micro 4/3 would be just fine as I have Speedboosters.

There are no real global shutter now but artificial GS can make it low or less rolling effect.

such as Multi-Voltage readout for each frame?

• Administrators

Or is it just pushing sausages out of a grinder?

Camera factory or sausage factory? Which is more advanced. And other stupid questions by Trifin :)

Only kidding dude...

By the way I see you are still shooting with the 5D Mark III. Raw?

I ought to have updated my profile - I shoot a lot on the Nikon 5300 at the moment. I keep the 5d for when I feel like it  (a bit of full frame love). Also nice for timelapses etc and yes raw.

I know it's been discussed to death but higher resolution isn't really innovating. Or maybe it is? But for me, as an artist, it doesn't seem that compelling. I don't mean that in a filipant way - when was the last time you thought your stills cam needed more MP? For me and video; 4k capture would be more than enough (1080p output).