4 ways to video shooting, which choose

elrond2000

Hi everyone,

i need some tools for use to make video:

1) for youtube channel with rock drilling tools: interviews, advices, demonstration of tools (for example in quarries)

2) for making clips for Non-governmental associations (documental, advertise)

3) for stills in high iso

i thought about 4 ways to do it:

1.nikon 750d

2.sony a7s

3. panasonic gh4

4. canon 70d + 6d (i need stills too, in 6d moire could be problematic in quarries environment)

All in the same price range (sony a7s needs metabones for usability so it wolud cost more)

i wouldn't to use ML and RAW (canon gives only advantage in having 2 cameras instead of 1)

easy of post-production would be an advantage.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I think the camera you choose (from this list and similar models) is fairly meaningless. 

I could wake up tomorrow and find someone wanted me to shoot this exact gig. I wouldn't go out and buy a camera specifically for it. If this one project is all you'll ever do in your career, focus on the exterior setting and how you'll get good, clear shots of industrial work on a location. Do you need close-up gear? Overhead shots? Do you need audio? Do they want it to look sort of cool and stylized (jib, slider) or strictly informative/training style? How about scrims, reflectors, negative fill so your outdoor shots can be clear and not confusing?

If you want to shoot all kinds of commercial gigs over the next couple years, get something that can handle a variety of work.

There are only two really major differences in the tools for these gigs - a "video" camera (fixed power zoom, XLR jacks, viewfinder, built-in ND) which is good for more event and news-style shooting but (until you really spend some $$) has a more "video" look (which can be improved by a good operator)… or a more "pretty" camera - interchangeable lenses, control of DOF, larger sensor for a more "filmic" look than most "video" cams. DSLR, BMC, etc. And you need stills, so DSLR is likely the way to go for you. And you'll need a good tripod at the least, and possible good audio gear - field recorder, mic and blimp.

Your list is all over the place in sensor size - do you care about the look from the sensor? And a bigger question is do you (or will you soon) need 4K for reframing, keying, stabilizing. Either way, look into something you can build on and make money with for at least a couple years. Heck, a Nikon D7100 or 7200 would handle this gig fine. 

Dear M Carter ;)

thanks for your post - of course you're right. But for now i only need advice which system would be more suitable for these kind of work. To choose tripod and external mic is more easy for me than a main body.

Panasonic GH4 seems to be very versalite camera (especially with metabones XL adapter which gives crop 1,3 for 1080 and 1,5 for 4k). 

it gives also few advantages:

1. shallow DOF with metabones and very acceptable DOF without (for work that not need extremly DOF) 
  2. adapters almost to every mount (in nikon not avaliable),
  3. in the future to have more cinema look buying BMPC is an options (lensens and adapters will fit),
  4. size/weight/portable is an advantage

Maybe i need to find someone having this baby near me.

I used dslr's for many years (pentax and canon's) i know their strenghts and weakness. So it's difficult to choose between dslr and mirrorless, but i think that mirroless are future of photography.