best clamp for a kowa 16s?

elgabogomez

I see 3 options on eBay that may work on a kowa 16s, a rápido technology adapter (wich requires 3 or 4 pieces from their website), a vid atlantic clamp that is "universal" for small anamorphic adapters (kowa, sankor, sun, etc.) or a Raf camera adapter for the kowa 16h... The kowa 16h is different from the 16s, but as far as the backend of the 16s, it appears that 52mm is the diameter so it should work with the raf camera adapter.

What option would you buy? rápido tech, vid atlantic or raf camera??

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

A couple of things are preventing me to go with the Redstan clamp, first is sadly Price, i live in Mexico and the pounds to pesos convertion is making it expensive (100 dollars to pesos is 1650.00, 100 pounds to pesos is 2600.00). Second is the time it will take from UK to California (i live at walking distance to San Diego, Ca) and third, judging from the pictures at Redstan, it looks like the adapter doesn't go flat with the end of the kowa at the taking lens connection, it seems to be a few mm recessed so it will vignette a bit more when on a wider lens. Any users of a kowa 16s and a redstan clamp that can assure me that it  is really  worth it??

A couple of things are preventing me to go with the Redstan clamp, first is sadly Price, i live in Mexico and the pounds to pesos convertion is making it expensive (100 dollars to pesos is 1650.00, 100 pounds to pesos is 2600.00). Second is the time it will take from UK to California (i live at walking distance to San Diego, Ca) and third, judging from the pictures at Redstan, it looks like the adapter doesn't go flat with the end of the kowa at the taking lens connection, it seems to be a few mm recessed so it will vignette a bit more when on a wider lens. Any users of a kowa 16s and a redstan clamp that can assure me that it  is really  worth it??

There are other alternatives but Redstan's clamps will get you closest to you taking lens. They are also the easiest to use, the safest being your anamorphic lens will not fall to the ground when your adjusting your alignment, and the sexiest in my option. You get what you pay for. Redstan is the man and his clamps are amazing but if you are in a crunch for time and money, Jim at  Rapidotechnolgy could have a alternative. http://www.rapidotechnology.com/ 

There are other alternatives but Redstan's clamps will get you closest to you taking lens. They are also the easiest to use, the safest being your anamorphic lens will not fall to the ground when your adjusting your alignment, and the sexiest in my option. You get what you pay for. Redstan is the man and his clamps are amazing but if you are in a crunch for time and money, Jim at  Rapidotechnolgy could have a alternative. http://www.rapidotechnology.com/ 

Thanks, Ian. 

Hi, Elgabogomez, Check this link here for the setup of your Kowa 16S using Rapido Adapter:  

http://www.rapidotechnology.com/products-services/customized-step-up-down-rings/adapter-for-kowa-lens/kowa-16s

The differences between Rapido Adapter and Redstan Adapters are: 

1): You could reuse the main adapter for other anamorphic lenses if you have, just get customized step-down ring to match the rear thread of other anamorphic lens. Usually the step-down ring is between 15$-5$. 

2): Quick processing/shipping time, I usually ship from Los Angeles in 2-3 days if I have parts in stock. :-)

3): Quick customer support, you can always find me on Facebook by searching rapido.technologies@gmail.com. I will verify every details, before shipping the adapter to you, just to make sure you will get what you need. 

4): Customization is possible: if you have some special requirement, I can modify the existing adapter to meet your need. 

Btw, there is a recent review video from Tito about my adapter, check the link below: 

https://rapidotechnology.wordpress.com/2015/11/29/rapido-adapters-is-reviewed-by-tito-ferradans/

I also have some pictures to show you how the system works: 

https://rapidotechnology.wordpress.com/2015/11/15/pictures-from-recent-customers/

Please let me know if anything that I can help. :-)

Jim Chang

Rapido Technology

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Raf make a 16-s adapter... also it's perfectly machined to fit the back size (as is the 16h version). Yes it's not a 2-piece adapter, but with a small bit of ingenuity you can modify it to be ;)  . It's price is very good and even if you don't make it a two piece alignment will be super easy because it's a mm perfect fit around the back end.

• 2 months later...

Hi everybody.

I heard that Redstan stopped to manufacture these adapters, and just selling remaining stock at the moment. So, I suppose he'll not object copying of his design now.

That is why we made first adapter of this type (M62 filter thread to Kowa-16H and others with 52mm rear diameter).

Here is the link http://www.rafcamera.com/en/adapter-52mm-to-m62x0-75-rr

Limited quantity is made to check demand.

Our version of this adapter keeps 1.5mm distance between rear end of Kowa and front glass of taking lens. It is possible to get closer for my particular lens, but I suppose it may be unsafe for some other lenses, so our adapter allows Kowa rear end to go only 0.5mm besides front plane of a taking lens filter rim.

Another feature is intermediate flat spring preventing damage of Kowa barrel by adapter tightening screws (3 of M5 screws are used).

Current price is $45 + shipping.

If you need some customized adapter, we are ready to make it (average time of availability since drawing is approved is 10 days).

Thanks.

Raf.

v2-explained.gif