It's Christmas!! New music video I shot on the RX10 II

Oliver Daniel

Here is the first ever project I shot completely on the Sony RX10 II. 

It's a traditional low budget British Christmas video, quite the opposite of my usual stuff. 

Shot in Slog2. 

Slider is Edekrone SliderPLUS v2. 

Lighting is Kino Flo and Dedo. 

Edited and graded in FCPX.

Crew was me, Director, make up artist and a couple of assistants. 

(Unfortunately I have since sold both my RX10 II's as the sensor aesthetic wasn't right for me). 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

kino flo and dedo for such a cheap camera ??? ARE YOU THAT CRAZY ??? :)

Pretty good. Not a great camera but here it makes it.

This camera needs light. I mean, A LOT of light in Slog2. The RX10 II only does Slog well if it's very, very bright. And I AM CRAZY!!! 

Oliver, that looks great! Nice job!!! It's very cool to see what that camera can do in a professional environment. Are you a touch regretful for selling it?

I don't regret it at all.

I took a massive risk filming the video with a new, untested camera. The great thing was, we only had 6 hours to shoot it and the camera versatility really helped. 

On further projects, I got detached from the camera as I couldn't get the aesthetic I wanted (sterile lens and small sensor). Went back to the GH3 and the image + adapted FD lens is superior to the RX10 II (non-technical, just how it feels). 

Got rid of both my GH3's and RX10 II's and now have the A7S II. The A7R II is now on the way (multi-cam purposes). Not had enough time with the A7S II but impressed so far. 

All in all, you can make professional video quite easily with the RX10 II. It just comes down to what you want as an artist. Unfortunately, the camera was the wrong paintbrush for me. Although it will be right for some! 

Thought the colors were a little muted and off. Especially indoors with for example the red candles was wishing they'd 'pop' a little bit more, food didn't really look particularly appetizing. But a lot can be attributed to individual taste of course (no pun intended). The digital snow also didn't really work for me. You use the same snow animation layer for a close up, when the size of the snowflakes would be increased and they'd have increased separation. The guy looked like a typical camp singer. :) With bronzed face and everything. Brilliant. I bet his home is full of chandeliers and also that he has a white little Shih Tzu. The girl in green was a nice addition, she helped a lot with that smile radiating fun! Fun piece. The shoot itself looks well executed and the RX10M2 does seem quite fun and capable. Well done! Slowmo with it must've been fun!

Thought the colors were a little muted and off. Especially indoors with for example the red candles was wishing they'd 'pop' a little bit more, food didn't really look particularly appetizing. But a lot can be attributed to individual taste of course (no pun intended). The digital snow also didn't really work for me. You use the same snow animation layer for a close up, when the size of the snowflakes would be increased and they'd have increased separation. The guy looked like a typical camp singer. :) With bronzed face and everything. Brilliant. I bet his home is full of chandeliers and also that he has a white little Shih Tzu. The girl in green was a nice addition, she helped a lot with that smile radiating fun! Fun piece. The shoot itself looks well executed and the RX10M2 does seem quite fun and capable. Well done! Slowmo with it must've been fun!

Cheers! 

Thanks for the feedback. 

Sadly I didn't have much time to work on the colour and Slog2 on this camera is a pain in the arse! Snow was a rush job. 

It was a nice simple shoot. Wouldn't put it anywhere near my "Best Of" but sometimes it's quite refreshing to do something a bit more straight forward. 

100fps is this cameras best feature. 

The worst feature is focusing. Manual focusing with this camera is bloody hard, especially on moving subjects.