Nikon bought Samsung NX mirrorless tech. End of Samsung NX (?)

Pavel Mašek

Why not run 2 mounts in parallel?

Produce fairly hollow mirrorless bodies with F mounts for the pros who don't want adapters.

Meanwhile, produce NX mount bodies for those who want smaller bodies with smaller lenses. As NX mount becomes more mature, some F mount users will slowly transition over. And Nikon could continue to support F mount for decades really, it would transfer new lens development to NX mount.

In the meantime, they'd probably have pro Nikon shooters who buy both, one for work and one for play.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Since they supposedly acquired it for a professional grade mirrorless system, they likely don't give a rats ass about speed boosters. Professionals buy real lenses, not speedboosters to jerry rig the system.

Yes.  That's right!  Professionals never use speedboosters/focal-reducers!

Likewise, professionals would not care to have a mount that takes tilt-swing/tilt-shift adapters nor adapters that allow behind-the-lens filtration.

Furthermore, a professional would never want a camera that can be adapted to Canon EF, Nikkor and PL (and almost anything else).  I mean, think of all the pros who own Canon and/or Nikkor glass -- why would such pros ever want to be able to go to a rental house to use high-end PL lenses?   .../s

I agree with Mercer that the NX mount is DEAD and it's terrible news for anyone that invested in NX glass like me.   Nobody is going to make an adapter to use NX lenses on any other mounts, so when my NX1 (which I love by the way) falls behind the tech curve in a few years, my two Samsung S lenses that I bought for $2,500 and my two other NX lenses become useless to me.  

Yeah, why would professionals want to use all the glass they already own for different cameras and mounts if they could just give them to charity and "buy real lenses" ;-) <3

You can still use adapters, a speed booster isn't critical. And with a Nikon mount a smart adapter would be much more viable. Or you could just by a lens with an actual Nikon mount already in place, there are tons of those around.

This idea that a speedbooster is a make or break item for someone who makes money from their equipment seems ridiculous to me. It is more a concern for amateurs who can't afford to buy appropriate equipment for the job.

I agree with Mercer that the NX mount is DEAD and it's terrible news for anyone that invested in NX glass like me.   Nobody is going to make an adapter to use NX lenses on any other mounts, so when my NX1 (which I love by the way) falls behind the tech curve in a few years, my two Samsung S lenses that I bought for $2,500 and my two other NX lenses become useless to me.  

Sell them NOW and buy yourself a really good set of Nikkor ai-s manual lenses. Keep your less expensive ones for autofocus and native support. 

Well, not exactly. Samsung is a far, far, far larger company than Nikon. All they're doing is buying/licensing Samsung's technology.

That's the question of the day... If true, did they buy the technology outright, or are they licensing it?

You can still use adapters, a speed booster isn't critical. And with a Nikon mount a smart adapter would be much more viable. Or you could just by a lens with an actual Nikon mount already in place, there are tons of those around.

This idea that a speedbooster is a make or break item for someone who makes money from their equipment seems ridiculous to me. It is more a concern for amateurs who can't afford to buy appropriate equipment for the job.

A speed booster in front of an APS-C sensor allows the sensor to utilize almost the entire image circle of full frame lens -- that means you are getting the full resolving power from that lens, plus you are getting shallow DOF on wider views, plus you are gaining about one stop in exposure!  If you use full frame lenses on smaller sensors without some kind of speed booster or focal reducer, you are just throwing away resolving power of the lens.

Also, as many have stated in different ways, shallower mounts on the camera allow a lot more versatility.

A speed booster in front of an APS-C sensor allows the sensor to utilize almost the entire image circle of full frame lens -- that means you are getting the full resolving power from that lens, plus you are getting shallow DOF on wider views, plus you are gaining about one stop in exposure!  If you use full frame lenses on smaller sensors without some kind of speed booster or focal reducer, you are just throwing away resolving power of the lens.

Also, as many have stated in different ways, shallower mounts on the camera allow a lot more versatility.

Unless, of course, you are using a lens designed for an APS-C sensor. Which is what the NX lenses are.

The comparable situation is Canon with EF versus EF-S lenses.

Or did Samsung cut out their camera division and sell it to Nikon outright? I don't think we'll figure any of this out before an official press release hits.

I think they sold their camera division with the ability to use any existing tech in their mobile division. 

• Administrators

What are you a banker? Why the hell are you investing in lenses?

Just shoot!!!!

nikon will keep F-mount. That's it. Japanese compagny like nikon are proud, so proud, no way they would adapt to any other system. They might source the sensor tech from samsung or get the one from Leica SL and apply nikon magic to it. Or wait till sony accept to sell recent BSI tech 

They most likely will release fm2/f3 style body with Evf and will sell like hot crepe if the video spec aren't too bad.  

....Keep on dreaming nx user  hahahahahahahaha

Or if you can somehow manage to scrap up $400 at the time, you will be able to buy a used NX1 off ebay probably and continue using your expensive lenses.

nikon will keep F-mount. That's it. Japanese compagny like nikon are proud, so proud, no way they would adapt to any other system. They might source the sensor tech from samsung or get the one from Leica SL and apply nikon magic to it. Or wait till sony accept to sell recent BSI tech 

They most likely will release fm2/f3 style body with Evf and will sell like hot crepe if the video spec aren't too bad.  

....Keep on dreaming nx user  hahahahahahahaha

I agree with you, Sir. There is no way a highly regarded Japanese company "goes all the way" with

one of the most important Korean companies out there. It would make Nikon look

terrible in their home market. More than that, it would a sign of weakness. Japanese companies detest showing their weaknesses.  

There's a lot of pride here, specially when you consider the not totally

healed socio-cultural consequences of WWII between the Korean and the Japanese. 

I don't discard some kind of agreement through the back-door, though. 

What are you a banker? Why the hell are you investing in lenses?

Just shoot!!!!

LOL.  I'm definitely not a banker and I plan to shoot with these lenses for the next few years until my NX1 is a relic.  I didn't buy them for a monetary return on investment, but I did expect the NX system to live on so I could continue to use these awesome lenses with new Samsung NX2/3/4 bodies for years to come.  It's disappointing that Samsung took that option away and tied the useful life of these lenses to my NX1. 

Unless, of course, you are using a lens designed for an APS-C sensor. Which is what the NX lenses are.

So, now you are saying that Nikon should use the NX mount and that professionals should throw away all of their full-frame, Nikkor F lenses?

The comparable situation is Canon with EF versus EF-S lenses.

So, professionals who own L glass should throw it all away and get EF-S lenses?