Nikon bought Samsung NX mirrorless tech. End of Samsung NX (?)

Pavel Mašek

They could put a native Nikon F mount on it like their DSLRs but size advantage of mirrorless would be lost.

This doesn't have to be the case, in fact it could be the other way around. Let's take the nikon fe for example. This camera is as small as it can get without becoming too small. The only problem facing a digital Fe is making the sensor electronics plus screen thin enough. Wide angles are the only lenses that benefit from short flange distances, if you remove the mirror in that hypotetical Fe you can place optics inside the camera and come close to the sensor, on the other hand longer lenses would benefit from this aproach as they would be 3cm shorter and balance better, for very long lenses this is meaningless, but who wants to use such long lenses on a small body.

And then the reality check, the current sony FE lineup isn't really small, they are closer to DSLR lenses as they are to tiny leica m stuff, so having 3cm of that lens sticking inside the body would make things more compact.

The only problem with this approach is the current placement of electronic contacts on the g lenses.

Nikon made such a lens 50 years ago, it's the nikkor-o 21mm.

http://mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/RF-Nikkor/RF21mm/index.htm

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I really don't see why Nikon would keep the NX mount when they have a half century history with treasured Nikkor glass. In the 70s and 80s when Canon, Olympus, Pentax, etc changed their mounts, Nikon designed their cameras around their lenses.

Not to mention, think about how much of a boost their lens division will get by the onslaught of new customers. 

With all do respect to Nikon they can buy all the patents they want. The NX tech will be useless without the designers and developers that made it. Does Nikon have anyone that REALLY understands UHD 4k? Or what about h.265? Buying the patent doesn't give you the knowledge and real insight just the right to use the patent. My point is that Nikon COULD have made a NX1 camera long before Samsung but chose not to or was technically unable to OR was afraid. How does a handful of patents and blueprints fix that? Do you REALLY think Nikon is going to make a touch interface as good as the NX1? Are they just going to tweak what's already there? Will you see a nikon mirrorless with Bluetooth/Wifi and NFC that is not intentionally crippled in some blatant way just to "protect the top of the line?" I mean the Nikon 1 line is the "Call me maybe" camera equivalent.

It's FAR FAR fetched but what I hope is that Samsung is not selling but partnering with Nikon. Nikon gets $$ for its brand and Samsung would get a know name on the NX line and they are taken serious and start to move. There would have to be more than that to it like a solution to lenses (or lake there of) issue in the NX line. Some of the Nikon AF patents would help the NX# out as well. Nikon would want some of the tech to filter into their other line.

I do own an NX1 and both PRO S lenses. It is an amazing camera. Everytime I use anything else it feels like putting down a chainsaw and going for an axe. Then when I pickup the NX1 again it's like sitting in a proper Italian sports car. It feels right. It's not just fast it corners well. It's fun to drive. There are details here and there that just make it right. The 4k video is AMAZING. I also have a Panasonic DVX200 and the NX1 has SO MUCH better quality and color in the video. Samsung you stole my heart... you really did.

Mercer, it has not to be one way or the other. If they keep nx, then an intelligent adapter could be easily made to existing nikkor lenses.

The other way around would not work and would make the camera (unusefully) thicker.

I understand that, but Samsung has a very small lens line up comparatively, why would Nikon change the tradition of their lenses because Samsung has some good sensor tech and heat dissipation technology? I can't imagine that this tech is only usable for mirrorless cameras? Why would Nikon abandon decades upon decades for the NX mount? It makes no sense. Loyal Nikon customers and your average everyday consumer do not want to be bothered with an adapter. IMO. 

I understand that, but Samsung has a very small lens line up comparatively, why would Nikon change the tradition of their lenses because Samsung has some good sensor tech and heat dissipation technology? I can't imagine that this tech is only usable for mirrorless cameras? Why would Nikon abandon decades upon decades for the NX mount? It makes no sense. Loyal Nikon customers and your average everyday consumer do not want to be bothered with an adapter. IMO. 

Nikon would be wise to keep this NX mount and make an adapter BECAUSE it would help the current NX camera users(and lenses owners) to stick with the new Nikon mirrorless system. Otherwise I go to the GH# or Fuji X-T#.

Over at Nikon rumors, there has already been plenty of talk about a FF mirrorless. According to their sources, it will have the F mount. It will not be available until late 2016, so most likely it will have the Samsung tech. Or from this point on the Nikon tech. 

http://nikonrumors.com/2015/04/20/new-nikon-full-frame-mirrorless-camera-on-the-horizon.aspx/

I'm hoping Andrew will do another one of his famous comparison videos. This time between the NX1 color and D750 color. Because that will be the next debate... Which color science will the new Nikons have?

Again, it would NOT abandon anything, by going with nx mount. Nx to F dumb adapters already exist, and if they join forces they could easily build intelligent ones.

I see several reasons for going nx mount. First, as already said, more versatility due to shorter flange (a lot of legacy lenses could be adapted, something impossible with F). Second, arriving on the market with a nice lineup of lenses designed for a mirrorless system. Third, the nice i-Function. Fourth, the size of cameras. Fifth, the possibility of having pancake designs.

They could just rebrand the existing lenses, perhaps releasing a faster focusing 30mm pancake.

Nah. Adapting to NX is still a pain.

They just need to copy what Sony did. The E-mount covers both APS-C and full frame, is wildly adaptable to just about anything you'd like to throw at it. Even Sony's own A-mount lenses through the Sony A- to E-mount adapter with translucent mirror tech and built-in AF motor. Or throw on a third party lens with electronic connectivity. Even use focal reducers! Forget that with a NX-mount. I really don't see any future there. 'But they can use the lens line-up'. Yeah well, they can also get you Nikon lenses... Listen. Sony had to start E-mount somewhere too. And like 43 to M43 and A to E-mount with a manufacturer's adapter, you can take your already excisting eco system and give it a new market as well.

They only need to copy what Sony did and do it for with Nikon adapting priorities. So a solid adapter for Nikon glass as well. Not a native existing Nikon DSLR-mount, that'd be silly to put on something mirrorless. And the NX-mount isn't going to work either.

Again, it would NOT abandon anything, by going with nx mount. Nx to F dumb adapters already exist, and if they join forces they could easily build intelligent ones.

I see several reasons for going nx mount. First, as already said, more versatility due to shorter flange (a lot of legacy lenses could be adapted, something impossible with F). Second, arriving on the market with a nice lineup of lenses designed for a mirrorless system. Third, the nice i-Function. Fourth, the size of cameras. Fifth, the possibility of having pancake designs.

They could just rebrand the existing lenses, perhaps releasing a faster focusing 30mm pancake.

But they wouldn't be able to do FF by sticking with the NX mount, and judging by Sony's profits from FE cameras, I'd bet Nikon is targeting the A7's. A Nikon NX1 really makes no sense for Nikon just from a lens standpoint. Using Sony as a comparison, FE lenses are better than the adapted A-mount lenses, adapters suck compared to native glass. Plus that price point is virtually no-mans-land for APS-c sensors. Samsung found out the hard way, people opted for larger sensors in the same price range - the A7's. Samsung sensors and processors in Nikon cameras make a lot of sense because now they can have the latest and greatest and not be subject to Sony's endlessly changing priorities.

I don't think there's any chance Nikon would use the NX mount in a new Nikon mirrorless based on Samsung tech. They'll take what they want and adapt it to their FF F mount ... I hope. Current Nikon users will want full compatibility with their lenses and this will sell the most cameras for Nikon. To use the current NX mount would make no sense for Nikon IMO. Very good news for Nikon users !!

This rumor doesn't make sense.  Originally, there was "big news" that samsung will shake up both Nikon and Canon; basically the whole imaging field.  SoooOooooOOooo ultimately, this so-called "big news" is samsung is going to start selling sensors to Nikon??  That was anti-climatic.  Since there are no real mention of the size of sensor, I'm assuming crop sensors no less.    I don't think Samsung has facilities to crank out fullframe sensors.  They would have to make a major capital investment to do that.  I doubt they would do that for little old Nikon in a dwindling marketplace that Nikon plays in.  The market place does not justify Samsung in spending money to create full frame sensors for Nikon.  It rationally does not make sense since there is a high risk of failure.

I think the guy who runs http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/; the guy who originally started (or at least amped) this round of rumors is grasping for straws.  Initially, he implied that the rumor was basically going to blow our minds.  He said to wait until noon London time for his "official sources" to give him more information.  We have past the deadline and the best he could give us is that samsung is going to sell sensors...???  Dude, I think his "official sources" never came through and the guy is pulling stuff out of his butt.  After all, what evidence does he have???? All we know is that Samsung is closing marketing channels.  If we sit back and look at all the concrete evidence, it just points to Samsung closing their camera business.  That is all.  The "hail mary pass" would be Samsung rebuilding a new camera line which is a distance 2nd.  I could be wrong, but until official statements are made; the rumor that Nikon is going big with samsung sensors is full of poop.  Samsung is not going to be researching and developing sensors for a third party.  Hell, Sony doesn't even do that.  Sony basically creates sensors FOR THEMSELVES first (A7S, A7Rii, etc), and than begrudgingly sells it to other companies.  Perhaps, samsung might give Nikon left over NX1 sensors for a line of Nikon cameras, but even that, I highly doubt.

This rumor seems believable to me.  What I am curious to see is how Samsung technology would fit into Nikon's model of what they offer for cameras.  Do they come out with a mirrorless camera to compete with Sony and Panasonic, or improve their DSLR line to make Canon's consumer/prosumer offerings even more embarrassing?

Tbh there has been no official word from samsung or nikon, so all is speculation. But if true there is one thing you can count on,  you will be paying 3x the money for the nikon version of the NX1. Not sure if that's a win for anyone here. And don't expect Samsung's level of commitment as far as firmware upgrades go.  This is exactly why I bit the bullet and got the NX1. Unless my eyeballs are upgraded, the NX1 should be good enough for the next few years. At least until 8k is mainstream. 

I don't think there's any chance Nikon would use the NX mount in a new Nikon mirrorless based on Samsung tech. They'll take what they want and adapt it to their FF F mount ... I hope. Current Nikon users will want full compatibility with their lenses and this will sell the most cameras for Nikon. To use the current NX mount would make no sense for Nikon IMO. Very good news for Nikon users !!

I wrote this several times but many ppl seem to ignore that... Nx to F is possible, vice versa isn't. So no problem with compatibility with F lenses if using nx mount. Plus...with F you use only F lenses. With NX you use a lot of legacy lenses. Including F.

Just pros no cons. Smaller bodies, small lenses already available at launch, lots of bigger Nikkor lenses via intelligent adapters, loads of legacy lebses via manual adapters.

If this rumor is true, I find it troubling for two reasons.

Firstly, Samsung is a member of the open source Tizen consortium and Tizen is the open source OS used on the NX cameras, and Nikon is not a member.  Samsung has binary blobs that deal with most of the cameras' functionality, but given that the OS is open source, there is hope that code/functionality could eventually be modified and enhanced by end users.  I doubt that Nikon sees the potential of open source, and it is possible that they might even take measures to thwart attempts by end users to modify/enhance functionality.

Secondly, consolidation is generally a bad thing for end users, in that it removes competition and innovation and breeds manufacturer complacency and hubris.  There has been entirely too much consolidation/mergers in this and many other industries.  The more players in manufacturing, the better.

I wrote this several times but many ppl seem to ignore that... Nx to F is possible, vice versa isn't. So no problem with compatibility with F lenses if using nx mount. Plus...with F you use only F lenses. With NX you use a lot of legacy lenses. Including F.

Just pros no cons. Smaller bodies, small lenses already available at launch, lots of bigger Nikkor lenses via intelligent adapters, loads of legacy lebses via manual adapters.

We read what you said, we just disagree with the point. Why would Nikon want to alienate their existing customer base just so they can utilize a few Samsung lenses? Why would millions of Nikon lens customers want to use an adapter? Why would Nikon care if the new owner of their FF mirrorless camera can buy vintage Canon FD lenses... Actually that is a good reason for them not use the NX mount.