Nikon bought Samsung NX mirrorless tech. End of Samsung NX (?)

Pavel Mašek

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I just hope they will keep NX mount, but to be honest - why would Nikon do that (?)

Speed to market, an instant range of well rated, fast lenses with a good AF system (compared to their current mirrorless lens range, which is dreadful). They would also have the benefit of being instantly popular with anyone invested in the NX system.

I guess it depends on whether Nikon have any interest in FF mirrorless?

This is actually good news.

It depends... I have couple of NX lenses and they may become useless after I stop using NX1 (which hopefully not happen in next few years). There is question also about product warranty - will Nikon provide service for Samsung NX? We will have wait on CES probably...

It would be great if Nikon would keep NX mount and keep all Samsung current lenses in the production....

I sincerely hope nikon does not take the NX mount, they need a nice short mount for speedboosters or with a larger diameter and no plastic stuff between the mount and the sensor so the speedboosters can recess into the housing.

They might even use the F mount if they find a way to make the screen, sensor electronics,etc... thin enough. This would actually make the most sense, wideangles that penetrate, and long lenses that balance nicely.

Unless Nikon has no plans to introduce a new camera with the "newly acquired" Samsung tech until next year, then I would assume they are only sourcing the sensor. It takes time to implement this technology into their current facilities and design. 

Chipsets tech too - almost as important as the Samsung's sensor tech. Remember, the NX1 samples a 28mp sensor, full readout, at 120fps, and encodes it in H.265 (that needs much more processing power than H.264) without transforming the camera in a ambient heater. And the use of Tizen as the camera's operating system.

I think that Samsung's tech in the processing pipeline (sensor + chipset) is leaps ahead of everyone else, including Sony.

• Administrators

This one stacks up.

Can think of at least 5 ways it makes perfect sense.

Only question mark is what sensor size and lens mount they will have on it.

Easiest would be to keep NX mount and rebrand the S lenses, plus build fully functional electronic Nikon F mount adapter for it.

This would be similar to their approach with the 1 series mirrorless cameras.

They could put a native Nikon F mount on it like their DSLRs but size advantage of mirrorless would be lost.

Then again the NX1 was never a 'small' mirrorless camera, it was much more in the mould of a 7D Mark II.

Chipsets tech too - almost as important as the Samsung's sensor tech. Remember, the NX1 samples a 28mp sensor, full readout, at 120fps, and encodes it in H.265 (that needs much more processing power than H.264) without transforming the camera in a ambient heater. And the use of Tizen as the camera's operating system.
I think that Samsung's tech in the processing pipeline (sensor + chipset) is leaps ahead of everyone else, including Sony.

Very good points. This tech will really propel Nikon, if the rumor is true, to the next level.

However, I wouldn't expect a Nikon NX2. If true, Nikon acquired the tech for Nikon products, not to rebadge Samsung products. I don't know if I would even expect Nikon continues with h.265. 

For all we know they may be acquiring the tech for their J line. 

well then,  that will be a decided step backwards. 

Not if you look at market segment and who the tech is for. If it is for the consumer who bought a 4K television, then you are limiting your sales to people who buy Samsung televisions. 

Or is it for enthusiasts? 

I really don't know what Nikons plans are for the Samsung tech. 

From what I know, Samsung and Mitsubishi work together on cmos technology since 2002 for cellphones and mobile application.

Make your maths... ;-)

I don't think neither of these company will need to flush down anything as they work on it together.

• Administrators

I don't think neither of these company will need to flush down anything as they work on it together.

We are not talking about the entire history of all Samsung CMOS technology since 2002 though.

We are talking about their 2014 APS-C sensor and the advances made for that... Samsung got a poor return on that investment from just the NX1 and NX500 due to the lack of sales.

Keeping the nx mount would be the wisest move. Compatibility with great s lenses (small for what they are) and small pancakes, with many mf legacy lenses, thin body. So a big range of existing and great native and legacy lenses.

A nx to F intelligent adapter would make things just perfect. A huge range of bigger but good lenses.

The best of both worlds.

Ok Andrew, my fault, I am so naïve...

I think the return on their investment is that they have implemented the NX500 production on the international market, showed the NX1 and all this while they already knew they would sell their technology to Mitsubishi who contributed to help them reach this achievment.

So cutting off NX1 comes at a time where it did cost nothing to them, even more, it made them earn quite enough to be satisfied, while every "know it all" was bullshitting about H.265 poor choice.

If mitsubishi uses and enhance it they will even have the benefits of the NX1 true achievement for them.

Finaly, if Samsung ever provide a NX2 anyday, they would even be taken much more seriously. It is a win win for them and for us too.

But it is only an opinion made on absolutely nothing else than thin air... I am delusional ;-)