NX1 Fun with new Adobe CC H.265

DBounce

Playing with the NX1. The grade is all over the place, and yes, I know that parts are over/under-exposed. This is just for fun and exploring the art of the thing. Images were just some random stuff that I had in the camera. All footage is handheld (no warp applied). Did the edit in Adobe CC with the new H.265 support. All in all, took about 40 minutes. It's HD resolution, but I think the HD looks pretty good down-sampled from 4k. 

music_video fun.mov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Wouldn't be surprised if the nikon buyout is true.  Love this sensor. Crisp hd and 4k... can't wait to do some slow-motion;-) Great lenses. Long battery life. No overheating issues. Modern UI. Nice colors... I could go on and on. It's an awesome value. Something tells me that pretty soon people will be happily paying 3x this money for the same thing with a nikon badge on it. 

Can't wait to really start putting this thing though it's paces.

Playing with the NX1. The grade is all over the place, and yes, I know that parts are over/under-exposed. This is just for fun and exploring the art of the thing. Images were just some random stuff that I had in the camera. All footage is handheld (no warp applied). Did the edit in Adobe CC with the new H.265 support. All in all, took about 40 minutes. It's HD resolution, but I think the HD looks pretty good down-sampled from 4k. 

music_video fun.mov

Not sure what you wanted us to check out in particular. It's way too stylized to say anything on the PQ side, but I do like the hand-held movement.

The handheld movement was with the DIS on.  I believe that coupled with the size of the NX1 makes it easier to wield.

I'm curious to see how the 120fps HD turns out.  So far I can tell you I'm really liking h.265 with Adobe support. From what I can see PQ is very good on the NX1. Better than sony and Panasonic.  I've had blackmagic cameras,  and while they have great pq, they would not be my first choice as a carry everywhere camera.  Plus they don't shoot stills,  so there's that.  

I'm thinking the NX1 is a keeper.

Ooh, neat! I must've read some bad information. Did they specify 8-bit or 10-bit? 

Here's the actual section of the email, there are no secrets here so I see no reason why not.

• Does the camera output clean video in 4:2:2 or 4:2:0? I've been seeing both quoted and just want to know for sure.
    4:2:2
  • Also, when it converts the sensor feed into H265 internally, does it use 10bit or 8bit colour depth? I noticed the ProRes app converts it into ProRes 422 so just wanted to check. Judging by the smoothness of the colour gradients in the video clips Samsung uploaded it looks like it could be 10bit, please confirm?
    It's 8bit when recording internally.  The image quality is much smoother and better because of the new codec (H.265). It has much better compression ratio than H.264.
  • Will Samsung release a benchmark app to test how long the conversion time is? For example, the user selects a resolution/ frame rate and clip length and it can predict how long it will take?
    It will take about 5 minutes  to convert for 1 minute clip.
  • Rumour has it that the camera can output 7K video at 30fps or 1080p at 120fps (in theory). The UHS-2 card slot has enough bandwidth to send that footage to a card so between those two thing it could happen. Maybe. In a future software update? 
    This is not have been confirmed and we can't comment on this. :)

Here's the actual section of the email, there are no secrets here so I see no reason why not.

• Does the camera output clean video in 4:2:2 or 4:2:0? I've been seeing both quoted and just want to know for sure.
    4:2:2
  • Also, when it converts the sensor feed into H265 internally, does it use 10bit or 8bit colour depth? I noticed the ProRes app converts it into ProRes 422 so just wanted to check. Judging by the smoothness of the colour gradients in the video clips Samsung uploaded it looks like it could be 10bit, please confirm?
    It's 8bit when recording internally.  The image quality is much smoother and better because of the new codec (H.265). It has much better compression ratio than H.264.
  • Will Samsung release a benchmark app to test how long the conversion time is? For example, the user selects a resolution/ frame rate and clip length and it can predict how long it will take?
    It will take about 5 minutes  to convert for 1 minute clip.
  • Rumour has it that the camera can output 7K video at 30fps or 1080p at 120fps (in theory). The UHS-2 card slot has enough bandwidth to send that footage to a card so between those two thing it could happen. Maybe. In a future software update? 
    This is not have been confirmed and we can't comment on this. :)

Sounds like the nx1 is a beast.

It's still not clear from that conversation whether the HDMI out is 8-bit or 10, but it sounds like 8-bit 4:2:2. Still, that's better than I thought.

I know, I should have phrased the question better. The way the answer is phrased suggests 10-bit out, a spec repeated by Tom's Review and a few others (8-bit is also quoted by various sites). I don't have an ext. recorder to check.

I know, I should have phrased the question better. The way the answer is phrased suggests 10-bit out, a spec repeated by Tom's Review and a few others (8-bit is also quoted by various sites). I don't have an ext. recorder to check.

I suspect the nx1 is underestimated by many. 

I agree, the way it's phrased implies 8-bit internal, 10-bit external.