G7 Settings?

mercer

• 1 month later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

With the holidays over, I have had a little time to run some tests. Am still using cinelikeD. 

This shot was done wide open with a Tokina lens and a fotodiox vizelex adapter. With Color Finale I applied a light s-curve to the master and then tweaked the blue and red curves a touch. And then finished it with an Impulz Tetrachrome LUT.

image.jpeg

Got a plug in from color grading central called "cinelook w' gorilla grain" so I was messing around with it a little today. It's a neat little plug in with sliders similar to some of the basic red giant plug ins, but it makes my computer run slow while it is rendering. Has anybody else used this product? Also, what settings are people using with the G7? This was another cinelikeD with Contrast at 0, Sharpness at -5, Noise Reduction at -5, and Saturation at -2.

cinelook.jpg

I think it looks pretty good! Last caps have too reddish skintones for my taste - other than that, the woods look spectacular!

Yeah, it's definitely a little too Oompa Loompa.

The images are great! What lens are you using?

Thanks! That was the Nikkor 28mm f2. I used that Fotodiox Vizelex adapter that has the ND filter built into the adapter.

Did a few more tests today, but I decided to try out my Minolta 28mm f/2 lens. I am still testing out that cinelook plug in. For the short I am working on, I think I like the look of the Nikkor lens better than the Minolta, but damn I love this Minolta lens.

minolta 28mm f2 + cinelook.jpg

minolta 28mm f2 + cinelook 2.jpg

minolta 28mm f2 + cinelook 3.jpg

minolta 28mm f2 + cinelook 4.jpg

Wow, I'm jealous... just kidding.   ;)

Really, these look really good.  I wish I can master something like that, as I am getting used to mine.  My settings were said profile untouched, while trying to set the right white balance.

I don't mean to hijack, but I did some shots on CineD as well, tweeked with the color of Davnici Resolve and the end results.   Two sets (before and after)

UTPG7untouchedCD3.jpg

UTPG7untouchedCD4.jpg

UTPG7untouchedCD5.jpg

UTPG7untouchedCD6.jpg

Wow, I'm jealous... just kidding.   ;)

Really, these look really good.  I wish I can master something like that, as I am getting used to mine.  My settings were said profile untouched, while trying to set the right white balance.

I don't mean to hijack, but I did some shots on CineD as well, tweeked with the color of Davnici Resolve and the end results.   Two sets (before and after)

UTPG7untouchedCD3.jpg

UTPG7untouchedCD4.jpg

UTPG7untouchedCD5.jpg

UTPG7untouchedCD6.jpg

These turned out nice. Very clean. What lens did you use here? Is that Union Station in DC? Btw, please hijack, I am interested in hearing what people are using with their G7. My last 3 sets were done with a plug in similar to Magic Bullet Mojo, so there really isn't all that much skill there... Of course I gotten pretty good at moving the slider in the program back and forth... Does that count?

Have any of you tried the Natural picture style? It's worked best for me on all the other Panasonic cameras.

I have tested it once... It looks pretty nice. I haven't attempted any kind of grade with it though. I think @Zak Forsman uses natural with his gh4.

What do you like about it?

So far between CineD and CineV, I like CineD better, but I have a lot more testing to do. Luckily, I finally figured out how to export screen grabs, so I don't bore people with my test videos like I did with the NX500...

These turned out nice. Very clean. What lens did you use here? Is that Union Station in DC? Btw, please hijack, I am interested in hearing what people are using with their G7. My last 3 sets were done with a plug in similar to Magic Bullet Mojo, so there really isn't all that much skill there... Of course I gotten pretty good at moving the slider in the program back and forth... Does that count?

Thanks for the response.  It does look clean, even on the 1080p DNxHD untouched clips.  It's the Union Terminal in Cincinnati - shot in a late midday.  I used both the Panny kit lens and the Canon EF portrait lens.  The kit lens I shot the facade, and the Canon some in the interior.  I felt what I did was shot too dark with the ND filter I used.  I may try other things via Resolve to get my image to pop, I'm just not confident in my overall clips I did - who knows I might change my mind.  I hope to replace my old tripod for an AmazonBasics 67" with double handles.  I would love to make a rig, and of course a slider.  I too like to learn things in the independent film/video set, so I'm all in.

Thanks for the response.  It does look clean, even on the 1080p DNxHD untouched clips.  It's the Union Terminal in Cincinnati - shot in a late midday.  I used both the Panny kit lens and the Canon EF portrait lens.  The kit lens I shot the facade, and the Canon some in the interior.  I felt what I did was shot too dark with the ND filter I used.  I may try other things via Resolve to get my image to pop, I'm just not confident in my overall clips I did - who knows I might change my mind.  I hope to replace my old tripod for an AmazonBasics 67" with double handles.  I would love to make a rig, and of course a slider.  I too like to learn things in the independent film/video set, so I'm all in.

Post some more shots. Do you tweak the cinelikeD profile? I have been using this setup. Contrast 0. Sharpness -5. Noise Reduction -5. Saturation -2. I tried dropping contrast down to -5 as well but since the focus peaking is contrast based I found it unusable at -5. I have also been keeping my luminance levels at 16-255. 

For the test shots I did are untouched CineD - meaning all contrast, sharpness, nr, saturation are at 0.  I may try out a bit of a -2 or -5 for constrast, and maybe a -2 for saturation in regards to post/color correcting.  I try to go a little bit by bit as I don't want anything happening to the shoots I made (and been reading up the possibilities via indep. filmmaking sites); so I may dab at said settings if I can learn to do custom settings.  I been using a luminance level at 0-255, I think my levels are only at 0-255 and 16-235 (I don't know, I'll check again), but without a doubt, I love it.

Here are some shots after correcting them via Resolve 12.  I managed to get some corrections made, and sometimes it gets pooped out which means I have to re-boot my system, so... :)

Corrected and applied Oleg's Kodak Kodachrome 200 lut.

UTPG7CD6_KodakKodachrome200Lu5.png

UTPG7CD6_KodakKodachrome200Lu2.png

UTPG7CD6_KodakKodachrome200Lu3.png

UTPG7CD6_KodakKodachrome200Lu4.png