Why I still want a Canon DSLR

Zach Ashcraft

As a (primarily) short documentary/small commercial WORK shooter, I think Dual-Pixel autofocus is the greatest thing since sliced bread. It works so well on the C100 mk II and is a dream for what and how I shoot. Since picking up a Ronin-M I've been dying to use it on the gimbal. Alas, the a7rii continuous AF is an improvement over previous models but it just isn't in the same league as the Canon tech. 

If the 5d mark IV simply had dual-pixel AF, and comparable 1080P to the C100, I would be a happy camper. I don't need 4K, I don't need 120FPS (though it'd be nice), just really nice 1080P at 24 and 60FPS. Throw in a wide-DR profile while you're at it. 

For stills, while Sony seems to be quite proud of their 399 AF Point Phase Detect system, the fact of the matter is that I still trust the AF on my t2i to be faster, more reliable, and better in low light than the AF on my a7rii or a6000. I still can't get over the feeling that I'm trying to operate a computer every time I pick up a Sony camera, whereas Canon just feels so intuitive that I literally can adjust any setting on the fly without looking at the camera. 

Are these requests unreasonable? Will Canon "Get there" one day or will we forever receive mushy, soft 1080P footage from Canon DSLRs? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The thing is, between 5D IV, C100 II, C300 II, C500 and respective successors I don't see why Canon would implement these things in the 5D IV. Looking at the focus of the cameras and their respective price points, Canon seems decidedly to go in direction of a clear segmented product portfolio with no cannibalisation. You probably won't get the C100 II features in the 5D IV, at least it would be a huge surprise, they clearly try to make the incentive for people to upgrade to the Cinema EOS line.

The thing is, between 5D IV, C100 II, C300 II, C500 and respective successors I don't see why Canon would implement these things in the 5D IV. Looking at the focus of the cameras and their respective price points, Canon seems decidedly to go in direction of a clear segmented product portfolio with no cannibalisation. You probably won't get the C100 II features in the 5D IV, at least it would be a huge surprise, they clearly try to make the incentive for people to upgrade to the Cinema EOS line.

I agree for the most part on features. And I definitely don't want them all. Don't need built in ND's, XLRs, clear scan, Clog, etc. All I want is a sharper image and a little more dynamic range

I'm still a big fan of Canon's dslr's, I'm hoping the 5d4 has enough to bring me back to Canon. I love the image from the A7rII, but I really prefer the handling of the 5d3. I just don't have the time to shoot raw and Canon's 1080p leaves a lot to be desired.

Dual pixel AF on the 5d4 is a given since its all over the entry level cams that have been introduced since. I think there's a good chance for C-log. I'd be surprised if it didn't have 4k just because its the big buzz. The Cinema line appeals to a different user base, lots of TV productions, rentals and such where ND's, built in XLR's and manual controls are the norm - and stills aren't needed.

I still think the 5d4 gets two variants, one with a bump to the 32-36mp range and 1080p and one with fewer MP and 4k - maybe like a s35 4k mode with 1:1 pixel readout. The lower MP sensor and 4k will also anchor the next 1dx that will spell the end of the 1dc.

That's my prediction and the 5d4c will get me back to Canon.

You could make a strong case that the 1DC is still the best 4K camera in the DSLR/Mirrorless bracket. If the 5D4 has a similar image, perhaps with a nicer 1080/60p mode, it would be a very in demand camera.

I think the 1DX II may actually give us a few more bangs and whistles though... Possibly even 10bit and a big DR increase.

That's funny. I've used Canon for 5 years and just bought an A7r II.  The feeling i got it's that i'm really using a piece of technology and this is one of my favourite things about using Sony.

Everyone has their own preference of course. For me, the a7rii does feel like a piece of technology, whereas a Canon feels like a tool. When I pick up a hammer, I know how to use it very intuitively, same with Canon DSLRs. I find myself looking at the camera (often the menus!) more often than at my scene or subject with the Sony, and that frustrates me.

Maybe I'm just getting too old :d