Adobe Premiere Pro CC Now Supports H.265 NX1 Files

nougat

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Fotasy Adapter $15 - Cheap and works fine on Non-G lenses, very slight amount of play

fotodiox $30- Better fit than the fotasy, new version doesn't have the issue with lens detected as not mounted.

Best option, and only one for G lenses $300 : Novoflex NX/NIK Lens Adapter

Have not given any of the ebay G adapters a try.

Thanks! 

I was asking. Currently having an A7R II. 

Thinking about NX1 for video / D810 for stills (therefore Nik NX compatibility). 

Fotasy Adapter $15 - Cheap and works fine on Non-G lenses, very slight amount of play

fotodiox $30- Better fit than the fotasy, new version doesn't have the issue with lens detected as not mounted.

Best option, and only one for G lenses $300 : Novoflex NX/NIK Lens Adapter

Have not given any of the ebay G adapters a try.

I have and use the cheap ebay/amazon rainbow imaging Nikon G to samsung nx adapter and it's been great.

I use it for all my nikon AIS lenses and AF or G lenses, mainly the tokina 11-16. It's been great for the 6 months I've had it.

As I wrote earlier in this thread, it's just a matter of lifting the level back up, the plugin retains all the detail. E.g., see below for levels with the H.265 plugin before lift, after lift, and the corresponding ProRes levels. Especially note the apparently crushed blacks come back to full life after lift. This is a non-issue and the resulting H.265 is better than ProRes, so THERE IS NO NEED TO USE 16-255.

Before.PNG

After.PNG

ProRes.PNG

Sekhar, do you lift shadows or blacks? By how much? Thx.

You need the lift the overall levels, NOT for a specific range like shadows (because that would alter the relative levels within the image). And yeah, you can do that any number of ways, like with the Fast Color Corrector or more directly with the Pedestal effect (set to +0.08). I myself actually use SpeedGrade to lift the overall offset.

Can you do the opposite? Record in 16-235 and bring back 0-255?

You can adjust anyway you want. The key (and this is critical) point is that the new H.265 plugin isn't losing any info, it's just interpreting the levels differently, meaning you can always recover full details in post. Since this happens with every clip, you might want to create a preset till Adobe comes up with a switch/option for the plugin.

i always wondered the same thing. I mean...16-235 is a smaller discrete interval than 0-255. So, it's straightforward that you can map 0-255 exactly to 16-235, but is the opposite possible?

What am I missing?

I think it's a just a flag on the file, it doesn't change the way it records.

The 16-235 is considered broadcast safe. It should be used in camera only when one is not planning to grade the footage.

I think it's a just a flag on the file, it doesn't change the way it records.

The reason is that it DOES change what is recorded, by reducing the discrete steps that the full range of intensities are recorded. When broadcasting the footage most of the times it is not important but during grading the footage will be more prone to banding.

There should also be a flag in the file that some programs use to display the footage correctly. This is a bug in premiere and it is easily fixed by applying an adjustment layer with the levels increased. But adobe should fix it. 

i always wondered the same thing. I mean...16-235 is a smaller discrete interval than 0-255. So, it's straightforward that you can map 0-255 exactly to 16-235, but is the opposite possible?

Yes. Premiere (and most NLEs) work in 0-255 RGB mode. 

The 16-235 is considered broadcast safe. It should be used in camera only when one is not planning to grade the footage.

The reason is that it DOES change what is recorded, by reducing the discrete steps that the full range of intensities are recorded. When broadcasting the footage most of the times it is not important but during grading the footage will be more prone to banding.

There should also be a flag in the file that some programs use to display the footage correctly. This is a bug in premiere and it is easily fixed by applying an adjustment layer with the levels increased. But adobe should fix it. 

Yes. Premiere (and most NLEs) work in 0-255 RGB mode. 

I actually thought it just tells player how it should be display. Good to know it actually changes the way it records, so you basically loose information when you set 16-235?