Adobe Premiere Pro CC Now Supports H.265 NX1 Files

nougat

Adobe Premiere Pro CC was updated today to support H.265 files  I imported several NX1 H.265 clips directly into Premiere and they play and edit beautifully without any glitches or lag.  I even tried multiple transitions and LUTs on my clips and it slowed it down a little, but still no problem editing.

I have a Windows 10 PC, I7-4770K, 16GB ram, GTX970 4GB, separate SSD system, work and render drives.

Adobe After Effects and Media Encoder were also updated to support H.265.

Thank you and great job Adobe!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thank you for the update.

What do you mean by "seperate SSD system"? Internal SSD that are used only for Premiere?

I have 1 SSD as my system drive, 2 SSDs in a raid 0 array for my working files (video clips ) and a fourth SSD as my render drive. 

Update: Editing is still silky smooth, but rendering in HEVC with the highest settings going to take ~23 hours to render a 23 minute sequence.  Yikes!  I will play around with other render options. 

The Nvidia GTX 960 has a dedicated H.265 hardware encoder / decoder, I wonder if it helps vs the GTX 970.

I think it probably would be faster encoding if Premiere can use the hardware encoder properly.  Sadly, I bought the GTX 970 just before they released the GTX 960.

Update 2:  I changed the render settings to "good" instead of "highest" and it cut the render time to ~50 minutes for the same 23 minute sequence.

Update: Editing is still silky smooth, but rendering in HEVC with the highest settings going to take ~23 hours to render a 23 minute sequence.  Yikes!  I will play around with other render options. 

How much time does it take on your computer to render this 23 minutes video to 4K H.264 MP4 in 50Mbps?

Here is a comparison of HEVC vs Prores I did an hour ago. To me banding is still less apparent in Prores but for most projects HEVC will be my choice for saving space on my HDs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOzJntHIn5U

Thanks for doing that! You just saved me the trouble. It's interesting that there's a little less banning in ProRes, but the colors look bettering HEVC. Is your footage form an NX1?

Playback is as smooth as ProRes on my early 2015 iMac 5K. Getting rid of all my "4K H.265 converted to 4K ProRes" files was like Adobe buying me a hard drive!

Here's a comparison straight out of my NX1 with nothing adjusted or corrected, screen shots from a 4K file in Premiere Pro. I used Wondershare Video Converter to get the ProRes file.

compare.jpg

After uploading this, the difference isn't as clear as on my monitor. I guess the forum compresses the file or something. But the unconverted H.265 file is much closer to the colors in real life. The converted file has a slight pink tint to it.

Playback actually seems smoother with H.265 than with ProRes (probably due to easier disk reads). However, H.265 levels are off and is losing quite a bit of shadow detail with correction (see below) compared to ProRes. Also, SpeedGrade doesn't seem to support it yet, so trying to grade Premiere Pro projects doesn't work...yet.

Shadows-H265.PNG

Curtain-H265.PNG

Shadows-ProRes.PNG

Curtain-ProRes.PNG