Adapters for Sony A7 + Canon

Jorge

Hello,

could somebody explain me why most of the users of Sony A7 use Metabones with Canon?
They are the most expensive adapters and they have the same problems than the cheap ones with parasite lights coming into the lens, at least the reviews say that. It is just because the Autofocus "is not that bad"?, personally I don't use AF with video. I am using a Fotodiox and it is terrible but I don't want to spend $800 in another one that is just a little better.

j.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

They are the most expensive adapters and they have the same problems than the cheap ones with parasite lights coming into the lens, at least the reviews say that.

Really? Because most reviews since the first speedboosters came out agreed on it being a fantastic product with excellent build quality.

Apart from that, I have and use several metabones adapters and have had no problems so far with internal reflections so far. The one I use the most is a contactless Nikon F to Sony E speedbooster. And the reason so many people use them is probably because if you are already heavily invested on a particular system's glass (Canon or Nikon), it's great to be able to use it with newer Sony bodies with better specs. Also, many people believe that legacy manual lenses -that can be found really cheap on eBay- are actually better suited for video than AF lenses without aperture or decent manual focus rings.

The Metabones IV solved the flare issue. Firmware updates are improving it every couple weeks since the A7rII's introduction. I bought a Fotodiox to save cash, but it flares so badly its going back. Overhead lights, the sun, car headlights, computer monitors and every other concentrated light source just washes everything out. I'm just going to bite the bullet and get the Metabones.

Anyone here tried to paint inside the fotodiox with some black ink? I've read something about this on an Amazon review. I really don't wanna spend $400, my money worth four times less than the "usual" (Brazil) and I just spent my soul buying the A7r II. (Plus, I've already bought the Fotodiox and there's no "going back", the only way is to sell for somebody).

maybe I was too drastic: fotodiox could work if you have everything under control during the shooting, especially with the lights. here you can see up-to the right how a distant traffic light coming into the lens, for example.

Untitled.jpg

That's really bad. You can't trust in a thing like this. I'll try the painting stuff and see what happens.

So I bought a Metabones Mark IV and it is a big difference with the Fotodiox, not only the AF works faster but it has minimal internal reflections and, best of all, the Metabones for the A7S is almost $300 cheaper that Metabones for the A7R

The commlite adapters are great and only $99. You just need flocking paper to block the light from reflecting off the shiny plastic "tunnel" in the adapter. That's the only design flaw, likely what you are seeing now and is easily fixed.

The metabones doesn't suffer from that, but really has no other advantages that I'm aware of. In fact, the cheaper commlite has been shown to be more reliable with more lenses and works more consistently (metabones users complain of lens disconnects, IS cutting out randomly, etc). I wouldn't spend the money on it personally. 

As far as why people prefer Canon lenses- because there are lots of them, they are of high quality, and you get to use features like IS. None of the other adapted lens types can get you that right now. So, to some, its not just the best choice, its the ONLY choice until Sony rolls out more native glass.