Not just vinyl for hipsters! The return of Ultra Panavision 70! Film is back with a vengeance and Tarantino has a behind the scenes look for us

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

So now I've seen it in 70mm and digital. Was surprised I'd think the projection method actually changed anything, but the detail and texture, maybe dynamic range and motion, and sound all seemed lacking in digital projection. I don't want to totally just trick myself into thinking it made all the difference, and maybe the screen was just too dim for some reason and the sound was too low (also, it was only 1080p projection I'm sure)

does film in projection have more dynamic range than digital? Don't know if a pro could spread some knowledge. Film can have like twelve stops, while digital screens have like eight? So at the least you'd need to grade properly to have a film image optimized for digital right? Which tarantino wouldn't have done I'm guessing, hence clipped shadows.

I know nothing about sound, but tarantino and paul thomas anderson were saying 70mm sound is magnificent, and after seeing both, I'd have to agree.

So again, maybe I'm building it up in my head, but this might have ruined most movie going experiences from now on.. long live film

I went to see the 3 hour  roadshow version at one of the locations in Florida with the custom 70mm projectors installed.

The attributes of film were magical and did not dissapoint. In my opinion it kicks the best digital has to offer to the curb. The overture and intermission were also a classy throwback, but........in spite of the amazing format and talent, the whole thing left me empty and uninspired.   Extremely long drawn out takes seemingly unnecessary to the story.  Stage like lighting. Unmotivated to the scene nuclear highlights (table tops inside cabin).  Racial themes that left one wondering whether Tarantino intended for the audience to laugh uneasily or have empathy for the characters.  

At the very least I expect to be mildly entertained and at best to gain insight or a perspective from another's point of view.  

It's like experiencing the most expensive meal on the menu and then after digesting it, realize a simple homemade meal is far more tasteful and satisfying.  

I went to see the 3 hour  roadshow version at one of the locations in Florida with the custom 70mm projectors installed.

The attributes of film were magical and did not dissapoint. In my opinion it kicks the best digital has to offer to the curb. The overture and intermission were also a classy throwback, but........in spite of the amazing format and talent, the whole thing left me empty and uninspired.   Extremely long drawn out takes seemingly unnecessary to the story.  Stage like lighting. Unmotivated to the scene nuclear highlights (table tops inside cabin).  Racial themes that left one wondering whether Tarantino intended for the audience to laugh uneasily or have empathy for the characters.  

At the very least I expect to be mildly entertained and at best to gain insight or a perspective from another's point of view.  

It's like experiencing the most expensive meal on the menu and then after digesting it, realize a simple homemade meal is far more tasteful and satisfying.  

Yeah it seemed like the first Tarantino movie where he sort of phoned it in.

Its coming to Stockholm!
The theatre managed to borrow a projector from a museum :)
I will be there on monday.

http://www.sf.se/filmer/The-Hateful-Eight-70mm/

Saw it in Stockholm a couple of days ago. The 70 mm image was special, but also the atmosphere in the venue, felt like there was an excitement in the crowd. 

The movie itself was not Tarantinos best, but the experience was great! 

I haven't seen it in a 70mm capable theatre but WOW ! There is something magical about this 70mm film, it looks "full" for a lack of a better word where as footage from digital sensor like our dslr's look thin in comparison. I really dont know how to describe it but the look was totally organic. Of course I know it had to have gone through some type of digital alteration with color grading etc. but man it looked good. Looking out the window in the indoor scenes when the sun was setting just the color and dynamic range alone showed me how inferior digital is in comparison to film. For digital to catch up I think emphasis needs to be put on dynamic range and color science instead of just resolution. Once again an amazing piece of work by Tarantino