Ursa Mini 4.6K new footage and info...

John Emery

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have been watching a lot of Ursa Mini videos. I like the footage and will probably get one for narrative work.

But, does anyone else but me get a turqoise feeling whenever you see sample footage?

With the GH4 it is kind of a magenta feeling and with the A7S series its kind of blue.

Whenever green pops up its like the only thing I remember because it looks odd.

Maybe I am crazy, or looking to closely.

This color

Turquoise-Green-Glitter-128x128.thumb.jp

I have been watching a lot of Ursa Mini videos. I like the footage and will probably get one for narrative work.

But, does anyone else but me get a turqoise feeling whenever you see sample footage?

With the GH4 it is kind of a magenta feeling and with the A7S series its kind of blue.

Whenever green pops up its like the only thing I remember because it looks odd.

Maybe I am crazy, or looking to closely.

This color

Turquoise-Green-Glitter-128x128.thumb.jp

Am I crazy?

Screen Shot 2016-01-22 at 12.24.57.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-22 at 12.24.44.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-22 at 12.23.58.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-22 at 12.22.51.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-22 at 12.19.33.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-22 at 12.19.54.png

Maybe its a teal and orange choice by the cameramen, but there's a whole lot of teal, and not much else. As I said, analyzing footage is not my specialty. I would be glad to be wrong.

Am I crazy? 

No.

It's orange/teal grading, which by a popular philosophy optimizes the color contrast and heightens overall clarity of the image. Background is, that when you grade perfect and vivid skintones (which is really very easy with BM footage, as well in ProRes as in raw of course), turquois is the contrasting color, the opposite on the color wheel.

This can be done with GH4 and A7s as well, only that both (particularly the Sony) can't capture this range of skintones in the first place, so it will never look that good.

Teal looks good?

Arguable. That's why I wrote popular philosophy. It's also known as the blockbuster look, as advertized by MagicBullet guru Stu Maschwitz. The pro arguments are valid. But others (among them the author of the Resolve manuals, Alexis vanHurkman) claim that skin should always be allowed to reflect light and therefore shouldn't be of a specific color (and also that light always should have a color, a "mood-cast" if you will), which makes the whole o/t approach useless. Another point is that this kind of grading is so common now that it makes films almost indistinguishable in terms of visual style. But don't mistake this grading for the BM sensor's "color science".

Arguable. That's why I wrote popular philosophy. It's also known as the blockbuster look, as advertized by MagicBullet guru Stu Maschwitz. The pro arguments are valid. But others (among them the author of the Resolve manuals, Alexis vanHurkman) claim that skin should always be allowed to reflect light and therefore shouldn't be of a specific color, which makes the whole o/t approach useless. Another point is that this kind of grading is so common now that it makes films almost indistinguishable in terms of visual style. But don't mistake this grading for the BM sensor's "color science".

I think I feel your latter point. I am subconsciously feed up with the grade.

If only someone would put the effort in, like the Raven promo, then we could get excited

If only someone would put the effort in, like the Raven promo, then we could get excited

With the appropriate effort, controlled lighting, make up, costumes, production design and digital re-lighting, you can do this with almost any camera. I saw a very sophisticated ad, shot with the A7s, and I would share the link, but unfortunately I have to leave for work now ...

With the appropriate effort, controlled lighting, make up, costumes, production design and digital re-lighting, you can do this with almost any camera. I saw a very sophisticated ad, shot with the A7s, and I would share the link, but unfortunately I have to leave for work now ...

We forget that these days. These cameras are all powerful tools. We dwell in minutiae.

Teal/Orange is very popular right now, but it actually has been used for a long time. It adds the ultimate in color contrast with orange hues for skin and teal hues for backgrounds/shadows. Another reason it's effective is that blue in a background creates the illusion of distance when orange/red is in the foreground. If you reverse it, and have orange/red in the background with a blue/teal foreground the distance appears shorter.

• Super Members

Another reason Teal/Orange works well is that its a natural occuring color from real life. If I look out my window about 3h from now it will be Teal/Orange.

In other words, even if its an artifical look in most scenes the brain wont dismiss it as "unreal" since it at least can look like that sometimes.

Thats why the grade in Matrix when they are inside the Matrix enhanced the "artificial" feel.

same here. it is simply because everybody is throwing the exact same LUT on every single piece of footage.

Especially redundant on blackmagic cameras footage. Youtube and vimeo are over flooded with them. 

Since it's an easy go to "it looks cool" solution,  it is often poorly done and people look like walking oranges.

All these type of heavily stylized luts you can find online have done quite a disservice to many people imo. Sure it's easy and fast, but what happened is all videos now look the same. The grade should first and foremost support your story anyways, then be visually pleasing.

(among them the author of the Resolve manuals, Alexis vanHurkman) claim that skin should always be allowed to reflect light and therefore shouldn't be of a specific color (and also that light always should have a color, a "mood-cast" if you will)

read his book on color correction, very interesting. Now I need to put the knowledge into practice...

• Super Members

same here. it is simply because everybody is throwing the exact same LUT on every single piece of footage

I feel the exact same way with Drones, Sliders, and Gimbals. It all moves in trends. It will go away soon and then come back again.
First it was saturated, then low sat, now its high again.. its an endless loop. 

I feel the exact same way with Drones, Sliders, and Gimbals. It all moves in trends. It will go away soon and then come back again.

I bought into the gimbal hype and the footage looks like it was shot by the terminator.

its good if you want to follow or circle something with a quickish walk/run. But all other shots are better on shoulder or with a tripod.

About saturation... yeah, I was watching some vlogs, Casey Neistat, and it suddenly occurred to me that the Canon footage is actually more enjoyable to watch these days because it is so refreshing. Not that I don't get a little bit peeved at the sheer vacancy of brain stimulation in most vlogs, but I enjoy the saturated look. I can dig it. Plug n play.

• 2 weeks later...