Ursa Mini 4.6K new footage and info...

John Emery

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Some very exciting footage. I am really enjoying the colors the camera is producing so far. Very nice indeed. Something to follow, for sure!

Also, here is some more footage showing a lot of different situations - one including internal 1080p shooting w/ rolling shutter instead of Global Shutter. Blackmagic is making things very interesting with this new camera...

http://nofilmschool.com/2015/11/brand-new-blackmagic-ursa-mini-4-6k-footage

I have to say I'm not blown away. To me it doesn't look much better (if at all) than the 4K Ursa.

Seriously? I'm absolutely blown away by how much detail there is in the highlights and shadows.

Compare the first few shots from: https://vimeo.com/139130557

To the first few shots of: https://vimeo.com/146086078

You can see how much detail is hidden in her hair.

000.png

001.png

And here in more ideal lighting conditions with a bargain-basement Samyang lens the sharpness and color pops in a super pleasant way:

so sharp. maybe too sharp. on my 4k television, the rocks on the beach almost appear to vibrate. :)

I bet the URSA Mini 4.6k would look great with vintage glass. whenever I see a camera that looks a little too much like video, I try to remind myself that both Drive and Friends with Kids were shot with the same camera in the same year and one looks like a proper movie while the other nearly looks like a sit-com.

I have to say that I'm not totally convinced neither... nice DR, sharpness and so... but it's missing a bit of the cinematic/organic mojo of the other BM's (for my liking). It could be the color grading or how it was shot, dunno. Insiders are saying that they're still working on those colors over at BM, so... I think I'm just going to sit on the fence for a little longer.

so sharp. maybe too sharp. on my 4k television, the rocks on the beach almost appear to vibrate. :)

good point. in general, a phrase i originated, "less is more" really applies here. if you dont mind me asking zak, ~how~ exactly are you watching said video? I was really looking forward to getting myself a 4k set at the end of this year but i cant figure out a good video solution for it since my mac (or any mac) only does hdmi 1.4, limiting the refresh rate to 30hz, and tvs dont have minidisplayport (?!!) and theres no adapter (?!??) 

do you have a PC going straight into a 4k set? media dongle? ouija board? hows that goin? additionally if anyone knows how to get ~any~ mac to do UHD out at 60hz to a 4k tv lemme kno ive given up

I bet the URSA Mini 4.6k would look great with vintage glass.

hell yeah lol

StoneColdBeerSalute.gif~c200

side note: steve austin now has his first official beer from el segundo brewing company, find broken skull ipa at a hipster bottle shop near you. ironically this is a respectable ipa, a far cry from the natural light beer bashes of his past

whenever I see a camera that looks a little too much like video, I try to remind myself that both Drive and Friends with Kids were shot with the same camera in the same year and one looks like a proper movie while the other nearly looks like a sit-com.

fascinating, an example im not familiar with, ill have to look it up~! of course i know what you mean, but would you mind elaborating? youre sayin, they were both shot on alexa with different lenses, yes...? i feel like im missing a bit of your insight ;)

hi kaylee, i watched it thru the Vimeo app on an Apple TV. so it was playing in 1080p. 

and yeah, just referring to light, filtration, lenses, production design, post color, etc. meaning, what a camera is capable of shines in the right hands and looks like mud in the hand of another.  here's a sample frame from Friends With Kids...

jdZOjhN.jpg

everyone who has released URSA Mini 4.6K footage has been in a race to be amongst the first crop of footage out there, which is why each of them has had the same caveat: don't judge by the grade. 

The first test clips of any camera must always be taken with a grain of salt (if that's the right phrase). When I saw these takes:

UrsaMini1.jpg

UrsaMini2.jpg

... I thought the Ursa Mini 4,6k sensor had another of those blooming problems, and a very big problem. It turned out:

Ursa-Mini-4.jpg

Only recently, I followed a discussion in another forum on the usefulness of glass filters in the 4k era. Though you can't substitute ND filters or IR-cut-filters, you should better not use any kind of diffusion, contrast, mist, glow or colors. These effects you can better apply in post. The Tiffen "DFX" filter suite is a revelation, for example. The subtleness with which you can limit the effect can't be reached by glass. Try the 15 day demo!

All in all, I am convinced by the colors and the detail. 

With more time and care, the image from this camera will be outstanding. The test clips look very, very rushed and those testing haven't had much time with the camera yet. 

At first, the A7S was throwing out an awful image almost everywhere online. Cut to 18 months later, and I'm seeing fantastic looking footage shot with the camera, now users have got round the grading challenge. 

Wow. For those not seeing the awesomeness of this camera please check your monitor. Maybe you have the suck button pressed.

1. There is obvious DR there not really seen with anything close to our level. 
  2. Colors are very similar to BMCC, but better. They told us this. And this is the one thing they are still dialing in, according to the testers.
  3. It is plenty detailed, but to me it doesn't feel overly detailed. 
  4. Rolling shutter is surprisingly minimal. 
  5. Where's the noise? Don't get me wrong, its there. But dang.
  6. AND... I still haven't even seen a raw frame. Have you?

Wow. For those not seeing the awesomeness of this camera please check your monitor. Maybe you have the suck button pressed.

1. There is obvious DR there not really seen with anything close to our level. 
  2. Colors are very similar to BMCC, but better. They told us this. And this is the one thing they are still dialing in, according to the testers.
  3. It is plenty detailed, but to me it doesn't feel overly detailed. 
  4. Rolling shutter is surprisingly minimal. 
  5. Where's the noise? Don't get me wrong, its there. But dang.
  6. AND... I still haven't even seen a raw frame. Have you?

Right dude?

I get a camera with a 5" 1080 folding monitor, 4.6k sensor able to capture 15 stops of light, slo-mo, and an internal 10-bit or RAW recorder. It doesn't use proprietary media and the accessories are reasonably price. All for less than $5000.

Oh wait, hold on, I get the lack of enthusiasm: it doesn't shoot over ISO 9000, hasn't got triple-pixel laser auto focus, no 8-axis stabilization, and, it doesn't even make my bed for me!

I mean, shit, Red Raven has TWO fans, Ursa doesn't even have one. Blackmagic, Grant Petty, epic fail.

With more time and care, the image from this camera will be outstanding. The test clips look very, very rushed and those testing haven't had much time with the camera yet. 

At first, the A7S was throwing out an awful image almost everywhere online. Cut to 18 months later, and I'm seeing fantastic looking footage shot with the camera, now users have got round the grading challenge. 

Exactly. Hook's original 4.6K footage was outstanding. 2 of the shooters on the new stuff admitted they added too much sharpening, or diffusion etc which is causing strange highlight blooming.

This was inevitable... We are at/past the point of clear, definable quality increases... Now it is going to be more and more down to lighting, composition, grading etc to create that wow factor in image quality.

True story: new A7S user says: "I don't need to get any lighting gear now I have the A7S"...:flushed:

The world's best cinematographers will make a much better film with a smartphone than the average joe would with a Red Dragon and Cooke primes. Now with the accessible price of the URSA Mini, there will be volumes of negative comments blaming the camera for poorer than expected quality.