Video editing station

jonprimo1

Hey guys in planning on building my new video station soon and I wanted to get your guys opinion on these specs. I work with DSLRs as well with the RED. Will this be good enough for my first video editing station? 

• 4th Generation Intel (R) Core(TM) i7-5820K processor hexa-core [3.3GHz, 15MB Shared Cache]
  • 32GB DDR4-2133 DIMM (4x8GB) RAM
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 FH GFX

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Funny, I'm building a 4K editing PC right now and those are the exact same components I picked.  I don't have it all bought / built yet but I think you should be pretty happy with the performance.  All the reviews I read said 6 cores really helped in apps like Premiere so I went with the 5820K (got it at Frys with one of their recent promo code deals for $276 + tax).  Currently shopping for the cheapest X99 board and DDR4 RAM and planning to overclock the CPU to ~4GHz.  Went with the Noctua DH-14 CPU cooler since I want to keep it quiet, but if noise isn't a big issue you might want to go water-cooled.

The 5820K overclocks easy at 4.2Ghz aircooled, for more Ghz the temperatures go high very fast.

We´ll see next year (Q3 2016) Broadwell E in same X99 mainboards:

• Core i7 6950X: 10 cores 3 GHz 3-3,5 GHz $999
  • Core i7 6900K: 8 cores 3,3 GHz-3,7 GHz, $699
  • Core i7 6850K: 6 cores 3,6 GHz-3,8 GHz, $450
  • Core i7 6800K: 6 cores 3,4 GHz-3,6 GHz, $390

Funny, I'm building a 4K editing PC right now and those are the exact same components I picked.  I don't have it all bought / built yet but I think you should be pretty happy with the performance.  All the reviews I read said 6 cores really helped in apps like Premiere so I went with the 5820K (got it at Frys with one of their recent promo code deals for $276 + tax).  Currently shopping for the cheapest X99 board and DDR4 RAM and planning to overclock the CPU to ~4GHz.  Went with the Noctua DH-14 CPU cooler since I want to keep it quiet, but if noise isn't a big issue you might want to go water-cooled.

Awesome. Thanks!

Recently I did a test with 4k editing and CPU/GPS usage:

Your parts are fine but as telluride said use watercooling and over clock for smoother/better perfomance.

Got it! appreciate the help.

That's a super helpful thread Don, thanks for putting all that together.

It doesn't surprise me that you weren't able to get smooth playback with such a high-end system when applying a bunch of post-processing (Lumetri color / LUT, "various other adjustments" and sharpening).  I imagine playback is super smooth with all of these turned off?  The amount of GPU math being done on every 8 megapixel frame must be pretty significant. GPU operations across frames that large have got to take a while.  I work in video games doing post-process passes like anti-aliasing on a 1080p frame is already a big GPU hit.

That's a super helpful thread Don, thanks for putting all that together.

You are welcome! Also sorry for the name misspell, I don't pay attention to auto-correction.

It doesn't surprise me that you weren't able to get smooth playback with such a high-end system when applying a bunch of post-processing (Lumetri color / LUT, "various other adjustments" and sharpening).  I imagine playback is super smooth with all of these turned off?

Yes playback was smooth with most codecs even with effects on. The hardest task was the smoothness when scrubbing which after playback gives you a better idea on the editing smoothness since it includes jumping from frame to frame. 

The amount of GPU math being done on every 8 megapixel frame must be pretty significant. GPU operations across frames that large have got to take a while.  I work in video games doing post-process passes like anti-aliasing on a 1080p frame is already a big GPU hit.

Correct, adding the effects gives GPUs a run for their money... 

I have the 5820k running at 4.4Ghz (could do much better but I didn't want to go past 1.26v), 16GB of ddr4 running at 2666Mhz CAS13, and an AMD Fury. This card can encode h.265 and has a great price/performance ratio (faster than gtx 980 in games).

If you want  even better performance you can increase your RAM Marco! I have had premiere using 120GB for some projects. But even 32gb will help for exporting.