Your ideal NX1 Settings

Geoff CB

6 hours ago, Hene1 said:

Why is it so bad to drop contrast lower than the saturation? I've got good results leaving saturation at 0 and lowering contrast to -3.

Thats up to your personal taste. If you like the image then its a good image :)

i've obverseved when turning down contrast lower than saturation it creates a weird appearance in midtone contrast/saturated. It makes skintones look weird and id advise against it

• 1 month later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 3/17/2017 at 2:31 PM, cojocaru27 said:

hey guys, please let me share with you my last project shot on nx1 entirely. I have spent a month in Africa and this is what i got left of it, hope you'll enjoy it. Any comment is more than welcome :

great work.

I think you forgot to post your setting in the thread titled "Your ideal NX1 Settings" lol.

There is alot of high DR shots in there that were handled really well.

On 17.3.2017 at 10:31 PM, cojocaru27 said:

hey guys, please let me share with you my last project shot on nx1 entirely. I have spent a month in Africa and this is what i got left of it, hope you'll enjoy it. Any comment is more than welcome :

What settings did you use? And did you use ND filter?

hi guys, thanks for viewing the film. I don't use special settings. I prefer to use normal gamma with same old richardo's settings for a flat outcome image and i try as much as i can to expose to the right, preventing highlights from over-exposure. In post i usually tweak the contrast and exposure depending on the look i want to achieve. MOre or less this is my workflow.

I am using an ND filter as i am shooting in the bright sun and you need one to get the shutter right. So i am using a variable ND filter, don't no the brand exactely.

Cheers.

Well I'm a new NX1-user :) Let me start by saying thanks to everyone in this forum for amazing tips! Hope you don't mind me asking a couple of questions. 

I'm currently using Gamma Normal with Sat -4, Contrast -3, Sharpness -10 and MBL 7. Any reason why I should use Gamma DR in stead? Also, what are your favorite plugins for color grading in FCPX? I'm currently using ColorFinale. Should I get FilmConvert too for ex. grain? 

And lastly, a bit off topic - I'm having problems with exposure drifting (a steady beat during filming) when outdoors at night. Does anyone have the same / a fix? 

Mike

How are you guys changing the normal gamma settings? When I go in the menu, where you can select the gammas, I see a small arrow on top of gamma C and gamma DR, where by pressing "up" I can change sharpness, saturation etc. I see no such arrow on top of Normal gamma, if I select it, and can't customize the normal gamma with sharpness or other of those settings. Can you really customize Normal gamma? And if so - how? I'm using the NX1.

2 hours ago, ReinisK said:

How are you guys changing the normal gamma settings? When I go in the menu, where you can select the gammas, I see a small arrow on top of gamma C and gamma DR, where by pressing "up" I can change sharpness, saturation etc. I see no such arrow on top of Normal gamma, if I select it, and can't customize the normal gamma with sharpness or other of those settings. Can you really customize Normal gamma? And if so - how? I'm using the NX1.

Navigation button (Custom wheel) down and Picture wizard opens. You can customize your own settings too there.

Kisaha:

I have noticed that some are complaining about "exposure drifting". I don't have this problem, but if I set this smart range on there will be this annoying changing in exposure sometimes.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Werner H. Graf said:

I dont see any Options in Picture Wizzard *Gamma Normal" for Saturation Sharpness or Contrast

So first you select "gamma normal" in the video menu. After that close the menu. Press navigation button gown, picture wizard opens. Then you can move left and right with navigation button. When you see something like "Custom setting" there is small arrow in top of that. Then press navigation button UP and menu opens where you can set values. Finally press OK and settings are saved.

16 hours ago, BopBill said:

So first you select "gamma normal" in the video menu. After that close the menu. Press navigation button gown, picture wizard opens. Then you can move left and right with navigation button. When you see something like "Custom setting" there is small arrow in top of that. Then press navigation button UP and menu opens where you can set values. Finally press OK and settings are saved.

TNX was not aware of the tiny arrow upward

On 3/17/2017 at 11:31 PM, cojocaru27 said:

Amazing! i liked the edit FLOW and the beginning mostly. Story wise it drifted a little into the wilderness. Techncially awesome though.  Did you use DIS? Clearly exposed for the highlights, in one or two scenes i think you could have sacrificed it a little to gain some shadow but no biggie. Really great work can't believe it came out of the nx1. I will need to take my out now and play with it some more! well done

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2017 at 2:30 PM, kattouf said:

Amazing! i liked the edit FLOW and the beginning mostly. Story wise it drifted a little into the wilderness. Techncially awesome though.  Did you use DIS? Clearly exposed for the highlights, in one or two scenes i think you could have sacrificed it a little to gain some shadow but no biggie. Really great work can't believe it came out of the nx1. I will need to take my out now and play with it some more! well done

thanks a lot. much appreciated.

• 1 month later...

I would like to share my resent settings that I have used couple days (only). What I am looking for with these settings is to reduce the pink/red tone in skin tones that shows sometimes in hands and faces.

Moving the HUE to the right direction helps. I also need to reduce the green color at the same time. There is some problems with some other colors, but I can live with that. At least right now it feels like that. The skin tones have been better now to my eyes. red 1,00, green 0,97, blue 1,00, sat +0, contrast 0, sharpening -4, hue +12, 16-235, normal gamma.

These settings are not fully tested in various conditions, but if anyone has this same issue with skin tones, you may want to try these.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I´m a young DoP in Asuncion, Paraguay. I have done many tests with the NX1 and have been using it for many commercials and resently for the feature film „Saber Crecer“ (To Grow).

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6iQ3mQI9CA

This film has been shot entirely on my NX1 (except the drone shots) using the bitrate mod (160 Mbit/s) and the NXL speedbooster by Luca.

Please let me know what you think :)