Your ideal NX1 Settings

Geoff CB

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

I would like to remind all of you that filmconvert has specific NX pack that one can download for free (if has the app).

Last time I tried it, it wasnt a very good solution, with a magenta tint all over the image, but that may have been changed/updated. Its still an expensive app for newcomers (149$ if im not mistaken).

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 minutes ago, ricardo_sousa11 said:

Last time I tried it, it wasnt a very good solution, with a magenta tint all over the image, but that may have been changed/updated. Its still an expensive app for newcomers (149$ if im not mistaken).

It is very peculiar how they can get it so completely wrong. Maybe it's a firmware thing or something.

42 minutes ago, Blah Blah said:

It is very peculiar how they can get it so completely wrong. Maybe it's a firmware thing or something.

They probably tried to go with some peoples settings at green 0.95, but they should fix it, I dont think i've seen anyone using it with the NX1 profile, it works much better with any of the others.

On 11/13/2016 at 2:59 PM, kattouf said:

arourke! that lut is just AMAZING. I used your settings but didn't touch the MBL (except one high contrast scene) just amazing.

Smart Range+ ON and Exposed for Highlights ISO 100. My best footage ever. :-)

Converted to Prores SQ with RockyMountain, then applied your lut. no other changes. perfect!

Glad you liked it! I plan on touching up the lut with the knowledge I have gained from making more luts since, but I am also pretty happy with it as is. I have a few more coming soon.

On 11/10/2016 at 11:23 PM, SuperSet said:

arourke, are all these LUTs meant to be used with the Color Checker?

I have made all of them with the base correction with the Color Checker, but it is not necessary to use them. I have designed them to not require one, but may end up posting luts that you could stack after applying a color match/correction base per each shot for improved accuracy (if you have a color checker and use it for each shot). Just use the suggested in camera settings in combination with the lut. On a side note these are all made for 0-255 which premiere clips to 16-235 on h265 files. I just use RMMC to convert to prores.

On 11/10/2016 at 0:03 AM, Kisaha said:

@arourke and others: I suggest creating a "LUT" thread, inside the NX1/NX500 sub forum, and if anyone has any LUT and settings to provide, we can keep all that knowledge clean and tidy, over there.

Great work Arourke, thank you.

I have been focusing on creating a main group (probably 10) and will limit posting of alpha/beta test versions of them for now. I do think an individual thread would make sense. Partially due to the amount of photo/video needed to properly present what each lut does, but to also not crowd/bury other settings. Organization also helps!

On 11/10/2016 at 4:22 AM, Marco Tecno said:

@arourke : if possible, I'd like you to create similar LUTS for the following in camera settings:

GammaDR, 16-235, R1, G0.95, B1, sharpness -10

All the rest at default.

Thanks in advance.

I am working on this. I have a backlog of video shot with these settings (so I have some motivation to rework the main accuracy one). The colors/saturation/luminence do not uniformly scale between in camera settings, so it does require me to remake the lut(s) from scratch. Fortunately I have gotten better after creating a few.

6 hours ago, arourke said:

Glad you liked it! I plan on touching up the lut with the knowledge I have gained from making more luts since, but I am also pretty happy with it as is. I have a few more coming soon.

I have made all of them with the base correction with the Color Checker, but it is not necessary to use them. I have designed them to not require one, but may end up posting luts that you could stack after applying a color match/correction base per each shot for improved accuracy (if you have a color checker and use it for each shot). Just use the suggested in camera settings in combination with the lut. On a side note these are all made for 0-255 which premiere clips to 16-235 on h265 files. I just use RMMC to convert to prores.

I have been focusing on creating a main group (probably 10) and will limit posting of alpha/beta test versions of them for now. I do think an individual thread would make sense. Partially due to the amount of photo/video needed to properly present what each lut does, but to also not crowd/bury other settings. Organization also helps!

I am working on this. I have a backlog of video shot with these settings (so I have some motivation to rework the main accuracy one). The colors/saturation/luminence do not uniformly scale between in camera settings, so it does require me to remake the lut(s) from scratch. Fortunately I have gotten better after creating a few.

Oh I forgot...if you can, please make one for color space 16-235, in addition to the settings I pointed.

@arourke To do tenths of similar luts for different settings will be an impossible task. Let's concentrate with the settings you find most reliable and we will follow. Maybe just the 2 color spaces, as most of us work with the 16-235. 

Thank you very much for your input to the community. Much obliged (too much Westworld lately!).

9 hours ago, ricardo_sousa11 said:

Thank you so much!

As far as color goes, everything was graded with one lut (Greenleaf), without any adjustment.

Heres a small Before/After :

https://vimeo.com/192050191/a9f067a86b

Your an artist ricardo!  To be honest the Before is great too! i had thought from the screen grabs the after was the flat image :-)  Still amazed you produce such footage. i assume 120fps?

25 minutes ago, kattouf said:

Your an artist ricardo!  To be honest the Before is great too! i had thought from the screen grabs the after was the flat image :-)  Still amazed you produce such footage. i assume 120fps?

Thank you so much!

The before does look good on its own, the luts only give it a personal touch and change the feel of the image.

All clips were recorded at 1080p 60p and 4k, the 120p option works amazingly but only until ISO 100-200, after that it softens the image and becomes hard to properly grade it.

4 hours ago, bigp said:

Ricardo, you got it go'in on. Great cinematography...  should be working as a DP on a movie set somewhere.

I got a nx 500 that I use mostly for stills but must start using it more for video seen as it has the same sensor as the NX1 and people are gettign such great footage with it!

Thats the goal!

If any of you guys want to try this on any other system, or settings, send me a couple of video files and I show you how they look on the Lut. Later today I will open a thread, so its easier to keep track of everyones opinion, Im really excited to know what you guys think!

21 hours ago, ricardo_sousa11 said:

So, i've decided to make a small teaser for one of the Luts, Greenleaf, its one of my favorite, but also one of the most moody/muted ones, so it may not be to the liking of everyone, but its one of my favorites.

Let me know what you guys think :

Looks great, Ricardo!  Can't wait to try them out on my footage.

On 11/17/2016 at 3:08 AM, Marco Tecno said:

Oh I forgot...if you can, please make one for color space 16-235, in addition to the settings I pointed.

Here are the ones for 16-235. These are all (beta) versions. I tested it out on some older footage and seemed to work good. The brightness isn't standardized/corrected so I would recommend bumping them up the shadows and lowering the highlights.

16_235_R1G95b1-GDR-velvia.cube

16_235_R1G95b1-GDR-astia.cube

16_235_R1G95b1-GDR-1dx.cube

16_235_R1G95b1-GDR-690.cube

16_235_R1G95b1-GDR-chrome.cube

16_235_R1G95b1-GDR-nuetral.cube

These are the most recent settings for my recommended settings:

NX1-luts-beta.zip