Your ideal NX1 Settings

Geoff CB

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

thank you @August McCue !

+15 mbl , -4 saturation, -3 contrast (NEVER drop the contrast lower than the saturation), -10 sharpness (slightly sharpened in post) and 0-255 luma range.

lens used was the Contax Zeiss 50mm f1.4 AEJ

Are you still using film convert for the grade or are you keeping the grade more minimal since changing to normal gamma?

On 30/06/2016 at 6:24 PM, kidzrevil said:

@ricardo_sousa11 @Parker I spoke to FILMCONVERT and they said they are working on the NX1 profile and it should be out soon. I expect to see even better work from you guys when the nx1 camera pack is out :-D

Would love to get in touch with them and check what they are doing with it, maybe give them some footage for beta testing!

Anyway, hase been testing some filmconvert grades :

RQewaXb.jpg

uta4GNL.jpg

FccCuP6.jpg

JcoCXhE.jpg

AAK6SAL.jpg

Still not totally happy with it, but they do look quite filmic imo, and they seem less agressive than some luts I usually use.

Well, I gave Ricardo's settings a try. I really like it! Here are a few grabs from a recent promo video I did for the band I play in. You can watch the full video at our Facebook page. Really quick, no budget. I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff and enjoy doing it for fun, the process, and for promoting my band.

Rokinon 12mm F2 for the ultra-wide. Canon FD 24mm F2 for the wide and close-ups. Tiffen Black Pro Mist 1/4 and Genus Eclipse ND Fader were on the FD 24mm. 

Grading was FilmConvert Red Epic M Redcolor 3 - Redgamma 3, FJ Velv plus FCPX Color corrector.

Audio was Rode Video Micro straight in to NX1

UHD-1 24p with Vasile's latest nx-on-wake mod 180mbps downsampled to 1080p ProRes HQ using RockyMountain then upscaled to 2048 X 1080p in FCPX

Kitchen Cabinet Promo1.jpg

Kitchen Cabinet Promo2.jpg

Kitchen Cabinet Promo3.jpg

Kitchen Cabinet Promo4.jpg

edit: It seems the jpgs added a little yellow to the images

6 hours ago, timmyturntable said:

@iamoui These look really nice...organic, even.  How do you like film convert for the NX1 footage?

@timmyturntable Thank you! That's kind of you to say. 

I really enjoy using FilmConvert. I started using Andrew's Gamma DR settings, applying his LOG LUT, then using the Sony A7S slog + gamut profile and I really liked it. Now I use Ricardo's standard profile settings and use the Red Epic M Redcolor3 - Redgamma3 profile and I love it! It's hard to get bad colors out of the NX1. Right off the bat it delivers a great image and colors, especially for the price. Using the bit rate hack (180mbps) and downsampling to 1080 ProRes HQ is amazing. The image is very workable and you can pretty much achieve any look you want in post. 

@ricardo_sousa11 Nice images...you definitely get to go to some cool events!  My entry this month is certainly not as polished as yours, but, nonetheless, here it is...

Still using your settings.

Quick question...do you find it hard to focus with the Sigma 18-35mm?  I have it as well and it is a royal pain to make sure I am sharply focused, as compared to my Rokinon 35mm (which this was shot with).

Tim

33 minutes ago, timmyturntable said:

@ricardo_sousa11 Nice images...you definitely get to go to some cool events!  My entry this month is certainly not as polished as yours, but, nonetheless, here it is...

Still using your settings.

Quick question...do you find it hard to focus with the Sigma 18-35mm?  I have it as well and it is a royal pain to make sure I am sharply focused, as compared to my Rokinon 35mm (which this was shot with).

Tim

Super cute babies!

Sometimes at 18mm or so, its hard to tell if its tack sharp or not, so when im in trouble, I just turn on peaking and all is great. Any other 35mm made for fullframe (like the rokinon or sigma art or something) are 35x1.5 crop, so you do get a bit more zoom, its easier to see if its in focus or not.

The screen on the NX1 is great, but a tiny bit too small, it might be a good idea to get an external monitor, im thinking of getting one soon.

On July 14, 2016 at 9:59 AM, ricardo_sousa11 said:

Super cute babies!

Sometimes at 18mm or so, its hard to tell if its tack sharp or not, so when im in trouble, I just turn on peaking and all is great. Any other 35mm made for fullframe (like the rokinon or sigma art or something) are 35x1.5 crop, so you do get a bit more zoom, its easier to see if its in focus or not.

The screen on the NX1 is great, but a tiny bit too small, it might be a good idea to get an external monitor, im thinking of getting one soon.

Thanks!  Cute is the word...

It makes sense that this is easier to see if it's in focus with the 35mm.  I'm going to try the focus peaking and see where if that helps.  I hate to leave such a beautiful lens in the bag all the time :)

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone still active in this topic?  Two questions for you all: 1).  I have noticed that even when using the .95 green in the Gamma DR settings, green is still quite strong.  Anyone else gotten this as well?  2).  What are you all using for white balance since tint doesn't lock down in kelvin mode?  Chip chart or white paper with custom mode?  Daylight modified? (I tried using daylight and it was a bit off) Thanks folks!