Your ideal NX1 Settings

Geoff CB

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I shot a couple of cinemagraphs with the NX1.

Sadly gifs crush the quality of the files and it looks like behance compresses them even more.

Any tips on that?

Here is a retouched fullHD frame:

DCI 4k

vivid picture profile

standard gamma

sharpness minimum, black level maximum, contrast -5

nikon 20mm f2.8

flavie.jpg

On 4/22/2016 at 9:25 AM, ricardo_sousa11 said:

Anyway,speaking of stock, do you think I can put up some of those clips from Alest for sell ? Do those things make money ?!

I have no idea how well people do with stock - I do notice a lot of the same photos on different sites, so apparently the thing to do is get on every possible site?

2 hours ago, KarimNassar said:

I shot a couple of cinemagraphs with the NX1.

Sadly gifs crush the quality of the files and it looks like behance compresses them even more.

Any tips on that?

Here is a retouched fullHD frame:

DCI 4k

vivid picture profile

standard gamma

sharpness minimum, black level maximum, contrast -5

nikon 20mm f2.8

flavie.jpg

Wow. Have to try those settings.

20 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Wow. Have to try those settings.

thanks, those settings got mentioned a couple time in this thread I believe.

21 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

@KarimNassar looks really good ! How do you like the nikkor ais lenses with the nx1 ?

I own the 20mm and the 50mm 1.8 (cheap plastic version). both small, lightweight and convenient. I am a nikon d800 shooter so those are the only 2 I used and cannot compare them with other brands. Happy with them though.

Gifs were too heavy and the quality was too bad so I had do opt for a looping youtube video instead.

I uploaded the cinemagraphs here:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/36514809/Cinemagraphs-Flavie-Lea

Would appreciate your support by clicking the blue like button if you like them!

here is a hd vs 4k screen grab (retouched)

hd4k.jpg

25 minutes ago, KarimNassar said:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/36514809/Cinemagraphs-Flavie-Lea

Would appreciate your support by clicking the blue like button if you like them!

here is a hd vs 4k screen grab (retouched)

I have to ask :-) - what technique/workflow do you use for creating these cinemagraphs from NX1 video files? They are very nice!

25 minutes ago, Pavel Mašek said:

I have to ask :-) - what technique/workflow do you use for creating these cinemagraphs from NX1 video files? They are very nice!

The popular youtube channel phlearn made a video about this ;-) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DU0Sim_BJ4

Although I used premiere instead of photoshop but the technique is the same. There is also a dedicated app for this called Flixel if you are on a mac. I'm on pc didn't use it.

Here is a retouched 4k screen grab, sharpness is set to minimum and yet feels a little over sharpened already (didn't sharpen on top in post):

right click open image in new tab:

4kgrab.jpg

Christ the NX1 and NX500 shoots some truly sexy colours with the various picture profiles, I am going to use them way more from now on imao.

Almost brings me back to the film, you just shot it and did not care much about the colour because it looked pleasant to begin with.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get the picture profiles in NX1 as LUT's? 

Or whether if I had like a colour chart, I could shoot it with the various picture profiles and turn them into a LUT, would that be possible?

Reason why I am asking is because the picture profiles do not apply on RAW image only JPEG's and the JPEG engine in the NX1 and NX500 sucks a lot its not like Canon or Nikon which gives beautiful JPEG quality.

Another reason is to apply them to GammaDR video, I got a colourchecker I was wondering if there is a process no matter how hard to get the correct colour information from the picture profiles and turn them into a LUT, I know you can grade to those colours but I rather avoid that as much as possible because its extremely time consuming to get the colours even 90% correct and then when I have like 15 different profiles I want to turn into LUT its consuming a lot of time, if anyone know an easier way it be cool to store the picture profiles as LUT's.

EDIT:
I went on the big web and found something that would work my way, maybe its of interest to you guys? I will try it out and post some results.

http://blog.xritephoto.com/2009/10/creating-dng-profiles-with-the-colorchecker-passport/#sthash.oKJXc8j5.dpbs

In my quest to find a way to get the Picture Profiles off the NX1 into LUTs so I can easily apply them to my RAW images which wont carry over the JPEG settings has led me to a road that is not very easy, I almost punched my laptop screen trying to figure out I could do it by using the Digital Camera Profile which turned out to be a nightmare.

I then just went straight to SpeedGrade and did a ColorMatch and I am actually surprised with how well it works, now I realised I screwed up the white balance on some shots because I only intended to see if the first method would work at all or if I had to go down the grading road, I plan on putting the ColourChecker on a better lit scene and use a white card or grey card for white balance, so the camera gets proper whites/greys with no colour cast from lights but as you can see, the colours really did change and they match the ColourChecker with exception of some white balance issues but that is an easy fix. 

Both Retro and Vivid have the following settings: R1.00 G0.95 B1.00 | 0 Sat | -10 Sharp | 0 Contr | 0 Hue

Left regular 28MP RAW from Samsung NX1 with my early Picture Profile Retro LUT applied, to the right an actual out-camera JPEG with Picture Profile - Retro

SAMSUNG NX Picture Profiles to LUT - Retro Emulation.jpg

Left regular 28MP RAW from Samsung NX1 with my early Picture Profile Vivid LUT applied, to the right an actual out-camera JPEG with Picture Profile - Vivid

SAMSUNG NX Picture Profiles to LUT - Vivid Emulation.jpg

Test on some random JPEG's out the NX1: Left Retro - Right Vivid (Original JPEG was post processed)

_SAM0103 - RETRO.jpg_SAM0103 - VIVID.jpg

Why bother when you can just shoot these in camera and use the JPEG's? Well for some of us the JPEG's are not that good and there is still a lot of blacks being crushed and not a as much overexposure you can pull back, my main reason for a LUT of each Picture Profiles from the NX1 is because they are beautiful and I want to use them with my RAW images but they are also a great asset for video! 

If you want higher dynamic range you can shoot flat and then apply a Picture Profile LUT and get the same colours without having to grade the image and only adjust the basic corrections like contrast, saturation, brightness and white balance. Which for some of us can save a lot of time.

Another reason is that people here have already posted some very interesting settings to use which have some superb results, making a LUT out of it to apply to the image in an instant would be great instead of having to think very hard which one you want to use because its going to stay instead you can select which one you prefer for that scene.

I currently only use the out the camera colours as base with no picture profile, I might also try to make the entire set for the GammaDR so you wont have to apply like 15 contrast settings just to get the colours back and the colour science is usually different for each base. If people have better methods for this I would love to hear them because this was the best method I could find, in the end I have to manually create these and not as simply as just shoot a picture and pull the information out and throw it in a LUT container.

Went to Porto on vacations this past week, what a wonderfull city ! Will be doing a video of it soon (trying to go for a watchtower of turkey feel). Anyway, I found a new 16-50S for 499€ and couldnt afford it, still bummed about it, but I might be able to get it, but its a shame I just got the 18-35mm...I dont really know what to do...

Also, tested some new in-cam settings, here are the graded results !

eqCqzT1.jpg

hXkUZrH.jpg

VbgPfVn.jpg

jdV6m2p.jpg

dMrZmFy.jpg

WwqYnhc.jpg

zG0Q1o1.jpg

u4od938.jpg

jBm5Xlt.jpg

dd7zDyw.jpg

t6iiFTo.jpg

ybqVJxx.jpg

Mi6lfnQ.jpg

9 hours ago, timmyturntable said:

Well, you can't share something that looks as nice as these and then NOT share the in-camera settings :)  Please, Ricardo, do share your latest settings?

Haha will share as soon as I get home, cant remember exacly, but its similar to what has already been shared here.

Could only check the cam now, here are the settings :

Normal Gamma | Saturation -4 | Sharpness -10 | Contrast - 3 | Master Black Level +15 (this is still to be tweaked, maybe at 8-10 should be better to avoid banding).

These are def. my fav settings so far, they remind me a lot of canon flat profile, and already look good on its own, even better graded.

2 hours ago, ricardo_sousa11 said:

Could only check the cam now, here are the settings :

Normal Gamma | Saturation -4 | Sharpness -10 | Contrast - 3 | Master Black Level +15 (this is still to be tweaked, maybe at 8-10 should be better to avoid banding).

These are def. my fav settings so far, they remind me a lot of canon flat profile, and already look good on its own, even better graded.

Those look similar to Casey Wilson's settings a few pages back.