Your ideal NX1 Settings

Geoff CB

Just have to say after shooting in both UHD and DCI 4K... I really think DCI really shines. I have't measured the differences, and I'm only using the eye test, but I will now shoot exclusively in DCI over UHD. Gamma DR, DCI 4K and the 16-50mm S lens is a dream. Loving this camera, and can't wait to see what some of your custom settings look like. I will have to experiment some more after I finish up my latest project. You guys are awesome!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On April 3, 2016 at 6:38 AM, Brad Bjornstad said:

Just have to say after shooting in both UHD and DCI 4K... I really think DCI really shines. I have't measured the differences, and I'm only using the eye test, but I will now shoot exclusively in DCI over UHD. Gamma DR, DCI 4K and the 16-50mm S lens is a dream. Loving this camera, and can't wait to see what some of your custom settings look like. I will have to experiment some more after I finish up my latest project. You guys are awesome!

I heard the dci image is a bit softer but that doesn't sound like too much of a bad thing on the nx1. Happy you found a setup that really works for you !

Here's the leak to my latest

password : roman

custom gamma c with -6 hue, -4 saturation, 0 contrast, -10 sharpness & 16-235 luma (seems to be the ideal luma range for adobe premiere compatibility with nx1 files. Premiere stretches the luma range to 0-255 with no artifacting/banding)

zeiss milvus 35mm f2 no filter

Pretty cool look kidzrevil. Not to my taste but good edit. 

Here is a little less custom setup. 2 NX1's and a D750. The close up stage left is with the D750 and the wide and handheld are NX1's. Shot in 4K on the NX1's with the Normal gamma vivid setting with +4 Black level. Audio was off the sound board into the wide shot NX1.

• 2 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, timmyturntable said:

Ricardo...your films always look great.  What lens?

Thank you :D

I use mostly the Samyang 14mm f2.8 and 24mm f1.4, however, I recently sold everything and am now rocking a Sigma 18-35mm f1.8.

12 minutes ago, SR said:

Really nicely put together. Can I ask, how do you achieve such transitions?

I editted in premiere and then exported to AE for the transitions, I still havent found any plugin that makes this automatically, so I do it manually (scale/rotation/etc) and then I add blur to make it smooth.

I have a question guys... maybe slightly off topic... what Picture Profile on a A7s II / A7r II would the NX1's Gamma DR compare the most to?

I really like the results I get with Gamma DR and it's a blast to grade. Sometimes I get banding in walls or skies but then no one notices once it's on YouTube because there will be banding in most cases after their compression. People complain mainly about the Sony's results with Slog2 and Slog3 colors but those are probably way flatter than Gamma DR so, I wonder if I would even get into those deep waters if I would try to match the same dynamic range / latitude with one of the Cine styles?

kidsrevil, I love those shots. Is that straight out of the camera or graded?

I wonder how much the tiffen filter effects the image. Don't you use ND or do you stop down with the shutter?

6 hours ago, Phil A said:

I have a question guys... maybe slightly off topic... what Picture Profile on a A7s II / A7r II would the NX1's Gamma DR compare the most to?

I really like the results I get with Gamma DR and it's a blast to grade. Sometimes I get banding in walls or skies but then no one notices once it's on YouTube because there will be banding in most cases after their compression. People complain mainly about the Sony's results with Slog2 and Slog3 colors but those are probably way flatter than Gamma DR so, I wonder if I would even get into those deep waters if I would try to match the same dynamic range / latitude with one of the Cine styles?

Im wondering about this as well, currently the nx1 is my b cam to the a7s (or the other way around, im not sure yet). Im still on the fence wether I should go all sony or all nx1.

8 hours ago, ricardo_sousa11 said:

I editted in premiere and then exported to AE for the transitions, I still havent found any plugin that makes this automatically, so I do it manually (scale/rotation/etc) and then I add blur to make it smooth.

Ricardo, try using a 3D camera in AE with motion blur on, and use camera position and rotation for transitions like that. Kind of the same look but I imagine it would be a little quicker with the camera?

@Gerbert Floor thank you ! I do not use ND's I will use a small aperture and high shutter speed if I have too. The image is graded with impulz luts and deluts, it was simply to test how vimeo handles the different luma ranges. The camera has decent dr and you can still get clean images if you under expose and boost exposure in post. To me the nx1 is comparable to the a7s cine profiles in terms of latitude in the mids

AE is like Photoshop, a dozen ways to get to the same end point that all depend on what tools you reach for. I do reach for the camera for lots of motion that's not really 3D or what the camera was "intended" for - things like easing and DOF, etc can be very handy. Love how your titles are locked to the images though, that was very cool!

3 hours ago, M Carter said:

AE is like Photoshop, a dozen ways to get to the same end point that all depend on what tools you reach for. I do reach for the camera for lots of motion that's not really 3D or what the camera was "intended" for - things like easing and DOF, etc can be very handy. Love how your titles are locked to the images though, that was very cool!

I was going to keyframe them, to move together with each individual shot, but simply didnt have time :/

Yeah, AE has a thousand different ways of doing exacly the same thing, its just a matter of finding the best way for you, I dont use the 3D camera much, but it might be much faster for these types of stuff.

17 hours ago, ricardo_sousa11 said:

I was going to keyframe them, to move together with each individual shot, but simply didnt have time :/

Yeah, AE has a thousand different ways of doing exacly the same thing, its just a matter of finding the best way for you, I dont use the 3D camera much, but it might be much faster for these types of stuff.

Sliding waaaay off topic here, but… 3d stuff is great for giving stock photos a little kick - 

19 minutes ago, M Carter said:

Sliding waaaay off topic here, but… 3d stuff is great for giving stock photos a little kick - 

I had done this animation shortfilm, a few years ago, quite amateur, but I used that technique : 

This was supposed to be a "dynamic" storyboard, to then try and make a full shortfilm, but it ended up being shelved due to lack of budget!

Anyway,speaking of stock, do you think I can put up some of those clips from Alest for sell ? Do those things make money ?!