Your ideal NX1 Settings

Geoff CB

1 hour ago, Cinegain said:

Hair, fabric, buildings. When sharpness locks on it's damn detailed. But not in a brittle way. Colors, mood, works. Nice.

thank you ! Im really impresed with the camera with these new settings. Next ill try to shoot without the diffusion filtration and see what happens 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

thank you ! Im really impresed with the camera with these new settings. Next ill try to shoot without the diffusion filtration and see what happens 

What are your custom settings? I've pretty much come to the conclusion that you can get results out of this camera in standard, gamma c, or gamma dr. It has such great color out of the box.

1 hour ago, kidzrevil said:

I'm curious about your in-camera settings as well, mate!
And what diffusion are you using?

3 hours ago, DPStewart said:

I'm curious about your in-camera settings as well, mate!
And what diffusion are you using?

Right now I am using standard gamma with -10 sharpness -2 saturation and -9 hue and tiffen black satin for diffusion. The diffusion looks really organic but I am gonna test without any filtration in front of the lens and see what that does for me in terms of resolution

the hue shift gives it real "analog" looking colors. There is a shift in blue towards cyan and skin tones are more reddish pink instead of the greenish yellows you get from sony bodies. I really like it so far but I have to test using lower saturation settings. The aim is to get saturation low enough so bright colors dont clip and exceed the color gamut but not so low that lightly saturated areas look greyed out. Coming very close to the ideal image suitable for post work without totally flatenning the image and destroying its tonality. 

I do need help testing the cameras dynamic range using different luma ranges. Strangely enough 16-235 seems to give me way more DR than 0-255. It's very obvious even when exposing in camera

18 hours ago, ricardo_sousa11 said:

Some new stuff im working on :

SXarzsa.jpg

SKAvnDB.jpg

MdhTl8I.jpg

All videoframes, im thinking of probably starting that stock footage thing sometime near.

Wow, well done man. Amazing colours. Do you have any channel on vimeo or youtube? I'd like to follow u. Cheer!!

On March 27, 2016 at 8:37 AM, ricardo_sousa11 said:

Damn this looks great, shes beautifull ! What were your settings for this ?

Portrait

-4 sat, -9 hue, -10 sharpness & 0 contrast

Graded clip from my custom portrait settings 

And this one is a graded clip with my custom gamma c settings 

4 hours ago, August McCue said:

Searched the forum and couldn't find the answer. Which pack of Deluts works best with the NX1? Don't want to buy a pack that the NX1 can't handle. 

Deluts 1,2 & 3 but deluts are the quickest way to introduce macroblocking and banding into nx1 footage

On 3/30/2016 at 3:40 PM, MKSN said:

Is there any tips here for the slowmo?

120fps or in camera 0.25x 30fps? What about profile settings? 

Thanks!

For 120 fps get the look you want in camera. The compression makes it difficult to get a good flat picture for grading. This video is my favorite settings for it.

I think it's also super important to light it well. I think for the 120fps mode you want ISO 100 - 200.

I'm slowly grading my Spain material and I see why people could judge the NX1 too sharp when downscaled to 1080p. I think I'd rather have only 1080p / 2.5K resolution but more color bit depth. What a pity that we directly jumped to 4k and now discuss 6k/8k but never even got really good quality Full HD (10bit 422 thick codec) on a wide front.

52 minutes ago, Phil A said:

I think it's also super important to light it well. I think for the 120fps mode you want ISO 100 - 200.

I'm slowly grading my Spain material and I see why people could judge the NX1 too sharp when downscaled to 1080p. I think I'd rather have only 1080p / 2.5K resolution but more color bit depth. What a pity that we directly jumped to 4k and now discuss 6k/8k but never even got really good quality Full HD (10bit 422 thick codec) on a wide front.

You're right. I wouldn't dare go above 100-200 iso at 120fps. You can see the drop off in quality. I'll stick with 1080 at 60 

2 hours ago, Phil A said:

I found that to be true as well. For 120p, lots of light and keep ISO 100-200.

On 11/21/2015 at 5:04 AM, Andrew Reid said:

And you think the camera is the problem?

There are two approaches you can use

If you don't plan to grade the image and just want great colour out of the box stick it on 0-255, normal picture profile, avoid raising the black levels or using gamma DR. Don't forget to remap 0-255 to 16-235 in post to get rid of the harsh clip to highlights and crushed black details.

Or you can raise the black levels and use gamma DR then grade it, do all sorts... To say quality decreases is not correct. You can apply a range of very artistic looks to the flatter output.

I read in your guide that you suggest not touching the black level but I see here you mention raising them when using gamma DR. Was this a new discovery you had after the guide? I'v been wondering because I see a lot of people in here messing with the black levels and some are getting decent results.