Your ideal NX1 Settings

Geoff CB

10 minutes ago, mercer said:

Pavel, nice work. Cool edit. Okay, it is arguable that you should spend more on lenses than on cameras. Your lenses will out live the camera, so obtaining good glass is essential.  For the type of work you are describing, I would recommend either the Sigma Art lenses or the Rokinon/Samyang/Bower Cine lenses. They aren't necessarily inexpensive, but they are a good value for the lenses. If you don't mind used lenses them there are always deals to be had on eBay, Craigslist, etc... I personally would not recommend the native Samsung lenses. With the future of the NX mount in question, I don't see them as a viable lens investment. But, for the right price, they are great lenses that work beautifully with the NX system. Actually, I think Rokinon has made some of their lenses in the NX mount, so that may be a viable option. Otherwise always get your lenses in the Nikon mount, it has the most cross camera platform compatability if you change cameras in a couple years. However, if you are looking for auto focus and exposure then pick up a couple more Samsungs and be done with it. Btw, I love Takumar lenses, I recently picked up the 35mm f2 lens for very cheap and it is a stunning piece of glass with amazing bokeh and character. Hope this helps. 

Thanks for all of it, tt definitely answers most of it. Just tiny additional question if I may: when you and others talked about the sensor being "demanding". How does it show, what difference does the camera make, when using Cine lens instead of for example Helios 44-2(which has beautiful character and bokeh, but really low IQ in terms of the resolution letting through). When we satisfy the sensor with high resolution lens, 6k for example, what does the sensor do differently? Why is the sensor "demanding"?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
17 minutes ago, Pavel D Prichystal said:

Thanks for all of it, tt definitely answers most of it. Just tiny additional question if I may: when you and others talked about the sensor being "demanding". How does it show, what difference does the camera make, when using Cine lens instead of for example Helios 44-2(which has beautiful character and bokeh, but really low IQ in terms of the resolution letting through). When we satisfy the sensor with high resolution lens, 6k for example, what does the sensor do differently? Why is the sensor "demanding"?

Kidzrevil has performed a lot of tests, if you go back through this thread and the last 15 pages of the lenses thread you will see his results. There appears to be some macroblocking and banding issues. Others haven't seen as much as him, but his tests are very thorough! As I said before, I have only used vintage lenses with the NX500, but I definitely saw a difference, had better results, with my newer, vintage lenses than with my older ones. 

3 minutes ago, mercer said:

Kidzrevil has performed a lot of tests, if you go back through this thread and the last 15 pages of the lenses thread you will see his results. There appears to be some macroblocking and banding issues. Others haven't seen as much as him, but his tests are very thorough! As I said before, I have only used vintage lenses with the NX500, but I definitely saw a difference, had better results, with my newer, vintage lenses than with my older ones. 

thank you mercer, thank you for your time and knowledge. Off I go to the page 15 ^_^

1 minute ago, Pavel D Prichystal said:

thank you mercer, thank you for your time and knowledge. Off I go to the page 15 ^_^

However, I will say, test out the lenses you have, if you like the results... Then that's all that matters. Post some of your tests. The people here are kindly honest. Good luck. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished my first Music Video, not exacly as I planned it would go, had some setbacks on filming and what not, but yet still pleased with how it turned out. Everything was shot on the NX1 and the aerials on the P3. Was a great challenge, doing something as "big" with such a tight budget, but loads of fun ! Let me know what you guys think =) 

Also, to anyone interested, heres the band iTunes page, they got some great songs =) https://itunes.apple.com/pt/album/new-dawn/id953049235?app=itunes&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

12 hours ago, ricardo_sousa11 said:

Just finished my first Music Video, not exacly as I planned it would go, had some setbacks on filming and what not, but yet still pleased with how it turned out. Everything was shot on the NX1 and the aerials on the P3. Was a great challenge, doing something as "big" with such a tight budget, but loads of fun ! Let me know what you guys think =)

Looks really really nice. Could you share some info about camera settings and grading? You made it look really filmic and organic for NX1 material.

16 hours ago, ricardo_sousa11 said:

Also, to anyone interested, heres the band iTunes page, they got some great songs =) https://itunes.apple.com/pt/album/new-dawn/id953049235?app=itunes&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

Very nice! BTW - Is it Madeira?

1 hour ago, Pavel Mašek said:

Very nice! BTW - Is it Madeira?

Thank you ! It is ! One of the "requests" from the artist was to show of the island, since this is a turistic place it would help spread around.

4 hours ago, Hene1 said:

Looks really really nice. Could you share some info about camera settings and grading? You made it look really filmic and organic for NX1 material.

Thank you =) I sure can, when I get home ill share in-cam settings and full grading for this =) 

1 minute ago, ricardo_sousa11 said:

Thank you ! It is ! One of the "requests" from the artist was to show of the island, since this is a turistic place it would help spread around.

I am heading there in first week in May - I hope I will create some nature video there with my NX1 (maybe some night timelapses in the mountains).. you are pretty lucky guy that you can live there, it is wonderful place.

Just now, Pavel Mašek said:

I am heading there in first week in May - I hope I will create some nature video there with my NX1 (maybe some night timelapses in the mountains).. you are pretty lucky guy that you can live there, it is wonderful place.

Oh wow you are ? If you want we can meet and Ill show u a few places around =) 

As promised, here are some Before-After + settings on how this was graded :

OtMdsl2.jpg

pNRiwvc.jpg

xe2gxvV.jpg

jvMB0UN.jpg

vwLMpVa.jpg

0CD6C4m.jpg

Settings :
Saturation : 53
Fade : 30,6
Sharpen: 11,1
Lut - Sunderland (DeLuts) @ 57,4 Intensity

WCeODrD.jpg

Contrast/exposure are done individually, also forgot to turn off grain for some of the before shots, sorry ! Hope you guys like it =) 

On March 4, 2016 at 2:31 PM, mercer said:

@Pavel D Prichystal correct I have run into tons of artifacts when using vintage lenses on the camera. I feel as if the camera intensifies its video processing when vintage lenses are used. You will run into oversharpening of low resolution areas and sometimes sever macroblocking. I have no clue why this is happening as vintage lenses worked great on my sony a7s and gh4. Stopped down of course they perform better but I tend to shoot wide open being that the camera is limited to 1600 for high quality video. I suspect it has something to do with downscaling from the 6k sensor. Ever since I put extremely high resolving glass from zeiss I have not encountered these problems even with diffusion filters placed on the lens. Some people have other experiences with the camera so take my findings with a grain of salt

Black and white look created with the classic picture style and curves in post

20 minutes ago, vaga said:

@kidzrevil et al, what is your opinion of usingC/Y Zeiss lenses on the NX1 for stills and video? Is it sharp or do you see any digital oversharpening in the video with these lenses?

Unfortunately I have never shot with these lenses even though I hear great things about em. I hear they are similar to the zeiss superspeeds so they should be good to go. Hopefully the rear coating doesn't reflect off of the nx1 sensor. If you have a set of contax zeiss lenses I guess it wouldn't hurt to put em to the test on the samsung body