Your ideal NX1 Settings

Geoff CB

Hm, i was also looking for a viable ND solution but found that:

http://havecamerawilltravel.com/photographer/tiffen-variable-filter-field-test

"problem is that the filter makes the image very soft as well as introducing new chromatic aberration. And it’s not the kind of softness that some careful sharpening can overcome. In short, it’s nowhere near the quality I need for images for clients or publication."

Umm, that's a review of one filter. Taking that one review and saying that it also applies to ALL high end variable ND is a huge leap of logic.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Umm, that's a review of one filter. Taking that one review and saying that it also applies to ALL high end variable ND is a huge leap of logic.

agreed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIzhGCzBtUQ

Shot that with the vizelex nd throttle (it has a bit of a stylized grade)  and honestly for most work I didn't find it to have any noticeable negative impact on my footage. 

Different subject, but that is a beautiful little film there. I love the clarity of those shots and the warm grade. I see you shot with Nikkor primes, Im just looking into those ones (I just bought a 28 f2.8 and a 50 1.4, I missed out on the 85 f1.4 ;( ).  Any advice on that subject? (I shoot a lot of wedding films, but starting to get into commercials more: www.vimeo.com/zoutwater)

agreed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIzhGCzBtUQ

Shot that with the vizelex nd throttle (it has a bit of a stylized grade)  and honestly for most work I didn't find it to have any noticeable negative impact on my footage. 

Very nice Casey.

I ordered one as well. I'll use it with my Nikon MF lenses.

I have been using the X3 three stop filter from Breakthrough Technology and it's the best ND I have ever used. The Vizelex probably won't be as good, but it's convenient and from the reviews I've read and the people on the thread it seems to get the job done without too much issue.

Got to try the Sigma 18-35 yesterday, and I must say, what an amazing lens, incredibly sharp at 1.8, although a bit heavy and with a heavy focus/zoom ring, still an amazing lens.

EIY948z.png

AwlUtpW.jpg

Vf7yu9J.jpg

TTiAaVm.jpg

PXdvE5o.png

Not much was put into the grading, just something simple, to test the lens !

Also took a few pics, though I dont usually photograph, heres one..

VJxdhQs.jpg

I'm curious, are any of you using external monitors and if yes, what?

As you've probably seen me ranting, the SmallHD 501/502 is not compatible with the Samsung NX1 (and probably will never be). But when you look at 5" Full HD monitors there's somehow not a lot around. Of course there's options when willing to use a external recorder in form of the BMD Video Assist (which lacks a lot of the tools SmallHD has and apparently also has a weaker screen) or the Pix-e5 (which costs 1600 €).

I'm stuck between using my D750 + the SmallHD 501 or using the NX1 with no external monitor... so I can eaither have ok usability and image wiht great easy monitoring (peaking, zebra, waveform, frame guides, ...) or a way better handling camera with a subjectively nicer image but be limited to the little flippy screen.
It seems there's a lot of sidegrade to the NX1 in form of A7rII, A7s, A7s II, GH4, BMPCC/BMMCC,... but I didn't find a equivalent alternative to the SmallHD 501 (the Pix-e5h is the closest but heavier due to recorder functions).

I'm curious, are any of you using external monitors and if yes, what?

As you've probably seen me ranting, the SmallHD 501/502 is not compatible with the Samsung NX1 (and probably will never be). But when you look at 5" Full HD monitors there's somehow not a lot around. Of course there's options when willing to use a external recorder in form of the BMD Video Assist (which lacks a lot of the tools SmallHD has and apparently also has a weaker screen) or the Pix-e5 (which costs 1600 €).

I'm stuck between using my D750 + the SmallHD 501 or using the NX1 with no external monitor... so I can eaither have ok usability and image wiht great easy monitoring (peaking, zebra, waveform, frame guides, ...) or a way better handling camera with a subjectively nicer image but be limited to the little flippy screen.
It seems there's a lot of sidegrade to the NX1 in form of A7rII, A7s, A7s II, GH4, BMPCC/BMMCC,... but I didn't find a equivalent alternative to the SmallHD 501 (the Pix-e5h is the closest but heavier due to recorder functions).

I've ordered an Aputure VS-2 FineHD, it's a 7" Full HD IPS monitor, cost about $295 on ebay. It's still on its way but I'm looking forward to it. But it's 7 inch so not as compact as SmallHD 501. I like 7" monitor, very comfortable to work with.

Got to try the Sigma 18-35 yesterday, and I must say, what an amazing lens, incredibly sharp at 1.8, although a bit heavy and with a heavy focus/zoom ring, still an amazing lens.

EIY948z.png

AwlUtpW.jpg

Vf7yu9J.jpg

TTiAaVm.jpg

PXdvE5o.png

VJxdhQs.jpg

looks great ! I hear sigma makes great lenses. How is the resolution and manual focusing on the nx1 body with this lens ?

looks great ! I hear sigma makes great lenses. How is the resolution and manual focusing on the nx1 body with this lens ?

Its probably the sharpest f1.8 lens I've ever seen, even superior to F4 L glass from canon, for example. The only thing I didnt like was the weight (810 gr) and the focus ring is incredibly smooth, but heavy, compared to my samyang 24mm f1.4, which has the best focus ring i've ever tried, very very light and very very smooth.

Still, this made me sell some of my gear, and get it asap, its really an amazing lens and when I have it, ill def. put up some more test images, I only tested it at night, so theres still much more to test.

I've ordered an Aputure VS-2 FineHD, it's a 7" Full HD IPS monitor, cost about $295 on ebay. It's still on its way but I'm looking forward to it. But it's 7 inch so not as compact as SmallHD 501. I like 7" monitor, very comfortable to work with.

shoguns are selling used for a lot less than new now, still might be more than you want to spend, but 4k recording, luts, false colors.. Lots of tools.

Its probably the sharpest f1.8 lens I've ever seen, even superior to F4 L glass from canon, for example. The only thing I didnt like was the weight (810 gr) and the focus ring is incredibly smooth, but heavy, compared to my samyang 24mm f1.4, which has the best focus ring i've ever tried, very very light and very very smooth.

Still, this made me sell some of my gear, and get it asap, its really an amazing lens and when I have it, ill def. put up some more test images, I only tested it at night, so theres still much more to test.

Can you tell me what adapter you are using for this Sigma? (it doesn't have manual exposure control, right?)

yeah I keep hearing great things about the sigma's. Think im going to sell off my lenses and invest in the art line cause I hear the resolution aint far off from the zeiss otus. One thing I notice about the nx1 you need a high resolving lens. I can get away shooting at 1.2 on an a7s but on the nx1 any and every flaw is exaggerated when using the same lens. You have a hard time shooting with these vintage lenses on this body in terms of resolution unless you stop down

EIY948z.png

AwlUtpW.jpg

Vf7yu9J.jpg

TTiAaVm.jpg

PXdvE5o.png

VJxdhQs.jpg

Looks amazing. Is the Nikon AF version?

I'm surprised the samyang 24 is smooth, my 85 is rubbish, which is why i wasn't tempted on picking any more of these (also large).

Now, the contax lenses, very smooth.

They are very inconsistant,

I've tried the 8mm, 14mm, 24mm, 35mm and 85mm. The smoothest of them all so far, is the 24mm, then the 14mm also quite smooth. The 8mm was average and the 85 was quite stiff, but smooth as well. Also, both the 8mm and 85mm were rokinon, instead of samyang.