Your ideal NX1 Settings

Geoff CB

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

yellowed super tak 50 f1.4

super tak 85 f1.9

the yellowing...woah. Skintones and leaves look awesome  

Great lenses. You should check out the 35mm f3.5 as well. It's a slower lens, but it's a performer. Probably one of my favorite lenses I've ever used. And they're cheap as shit. You can easily find one for less than 50 bucks. 

Dammit :( Yup, time to sell my 50-150. Keeping the camera and buying some spare batteries, thank god it also runs off USB power so It's still usable when the batteries die.

Edit: Keeping the camera itself until it dies for video, but no longer can I rely on it as one of my primary photo cameras.

let me know, might be in the market for one soon.

Great lenses. You should check out the 35mm f3.5 as well. It's a slower lens, but it's a performer. Probably one of my favorite lenses I've ever used. And they're cheap as shit. You can easily find one for less than 50 bucks. 

dope man ! Im looking for a good wide angle for my m42 kit. So far the m42 lenses look the closest to "film" on the nx1. I have a mir 37mm that has this soft look to it that totally counters the nx1 sharpness. A smooth organic finish to the footage

dope man ! Im looking for a good wide angle for my m42 kit. So far the m42 lenses look the closest to "film" on the nx1. I have a mir 37mm that has this soft look to it that totally counters the nx1 sharpness. A smooth organic finish to the footage

I used to have the 20mm f/4.5. A great lens as well if you don't need a fast wide angle. They also made a 28mm f3.5. I never used it but it's as highly regarded as the 35mm f3.5. And they have a 24mm f3.5... Never used it and a 35mm f2, which I am trying to get one now for a good price. I love f2 lenses... I think they're the perfect combo of speed and shallow depth, especially for narrative work.

I've always liked m42 lenses, I'll have to give them a try on the 500. Of course, I am thinking about selling it. I really think I'd like to give raw a try... Either with the 5D or a pocket. 

I used to have the 20mm f/4.5. A great lens as well if you don't need a fast wide angle. They also made a 28mm f3.5. I never used it but it's as highly regarded as the 35mm f3.5. And they have a 24mm f3.5... Never used it and a 35mm f2, which I am trying to get one now for a good price. I love f2 lenses... I think they're the perfect combo of speed and shallow depth, especially for narrative work.

I've always liked m42 lenses, I'll have to give them a try on the 500. Of course, I am thinking about selling it. I really think I'd like to give raw a try... Either with the 5D or a pocket. 

bro I swear you're a mind reader ! Im interested in the hacked 5d mark 3. I was gonna get an a7sii but hey i already have an 8bit 4k camera ! I can already see the magic in A hacked 5d mark 3 with visioncolor's visionlog profile. Im already pricing out the stuff I need for it like Loupe's and what not 

Back to basics. Default Gamma DR settings with sharpness at -10. MBL = 0. 16-235. Film Convert (Arri / Alexa / Rec 709 - Astia 100). I love using this camera. I know they are exiting but I wish they gave us one more FW update for it as a parting gift (VERY doubtful). NX1 & both "S" lenses.

1.thumb.jpg.a1b39b80ec2254431fd44b870245

2.thumb.jpg.0593d85600c1d6df49f5285f2e74

3.thumb.jpg.2c0b62e5696277bc6fd95f945a86

4.thumb.jpg.ba9bb669088b2fd706ab1910a951

bro I swear you're a mind reader ! Im interested in the hacked 5d mark 3. I was gonna get an a7sii but hey i already have an 8bit 4k camera ! I can already see the magic in A hacked 5d mark 3 with visioncolor's visionlog profile. Im already pricing out the stuff I need for it like Loupe's and what not 

I must admit I have been a little swayed by Andrew's recent post about the top 5 cameras for cinematic images. And since the raw workflow seems a lot more accessible now than it was a few years ago. I, actually, almost bought a Mark II the other day that only had 4000 actuations and it came with a zacuto loupe for less than 800, but I decided to hold off. 

Back to basics. Default Gamma DR settings with sharpness at -10. MBL = 0. 16-235. Film Convert (Arri / Alexa / Rec 709 - Astia 100). I love using this camera. I know they are exiting but I wish they gave us one more FW update for it as a parting gift (VERY doubtful). NX1 & both "S" lenses.

1.thumb.jpg.a1b39b80ec2254431fd44b870245

2.thumb.jpg.0593d85600c1d6df49f5285f2e74

3.thumb.jpg.2c0b62e5696277bc6fd95f945a86

4.thumb.jpg.ba9bb669088b2fd706ab1910a951

Dean, this looks great. The first shot with the music and the woman's expression just made me laugh... In a good way. The piece had a cool retro vibe to it. 

Dean: I just tried your setting and your grading, but my results...is very dark. Here is the input image and the resulting one. Help!

I am not sure Marco.

Maybe lower the film colour slider. I don't think FilmConvert is a case of just whack it over the top and it always works. I to needed further editing to get the look I wanted.

Cheers.

I have the NX1 since june and I use it only for video UHD 4K. At first I used the standard gamma and got crushed blacks and blown out highlights. Then I experimented with different settings and soon I found that gamma DR at default zero looks great for my taste. My videos can be seen at YouTube (same name there). I use Cyberlink Power Director 14 which edits my files to H265 80Mbps and H264 XAVC-S 100Mbps in 1,8-2X realtime. Sometimes I use TMPGEnc6 which also edits HEVC without conversion needed but it has not hardware acceleration. I haven´t tried any color grading because I have not seen any good results anywhere. I know everybody here also always sets the sharpness down to -10. I want to keep the fantastic details on the NX1 so I leave it at zero. I see no artifacts from that. At least not in the original HEVC files or renderings. YouTube became much better last year with the VP9 codec of the HTML5 player especially when the connection speed is over 150-200Mbps. I avoid watching early evenings when the internet is too busy.

The gamma DR at default zero gives me super sharp images with depth almost like 3D. The graded images I have seen made from flat settings or LUTS always look soft and like a gray membrane or coating over it. The colours look odd too like the Hollywood movies changed at the turn of the millenium. Skintones became orange in the blockbuster movies. I used to have CRT projectors and their colour saturation and depth were so superior to the digital projectors from around 1990-2010. Colour grading with The NX1 is like that. It looks "digital" to me. Not natural. This is just my opinion and taste. Some day someone might make me change my opinion. I am swedish so my english is not so fluent.

I'd really like to find a good base 'setup' to start grading the nx1. Anybody has hints?

gamma dr at default settings with -10 sharpness. I am working on something that looks good straight out of camera but gamma dr looks the best so far. You can slightly underexpose and get a smooth roll off in the highlights

not just the nx1 sensor obviously ;) used the 28-70 2.8 on my a7s and it was beautiful.

anyways this thread has been enlightening. i'm in the process of finding where i like the settings and recently did a test with 2 very contrasty scenes (interior and exterior) and I'm blown away with the shadow detail that this camera retains... it keeps it much cleaner than on the a7s (which is why we'd always ettr).

don't judge me too much! these were scenes designed to push the video capabilities in post, and see what kind of image I could recover, not necessarily to be beautiful.

here are a few screen grabs:

nx1_test_int2.thumb.jpg.04a296f1744f324f

nx1_test_int1.thumb.jpg.7cbc44eae6d9890e

nx1_test_ext1.thumb.jpg.88324472318d18d1

nx1_test_ext2.thumb.jpg.c341db8c3625164a

settings are as follow:

gamma dr. sharpness -10, contrast -10, sat -4, black level +10

internally, this might be a bit aggressive. there is some banding on the walls of the interior shots (which were heavily underexposed btw), but i'll test it again with the shogun on saturday and see if the extra 422 helps with that.

the lenses were second gen sony cinealtas... and are almost too sharp with how much this camera sharpens. i should add to try and mitigate some of that i shot through 1/4 HWBMF

Have you tried NX1 with Shogun? How does the image from NX1 looks like (compression, banding, etc.)? Does NX1 works properly (I have heard that you cannot fully control camera with external recorder connected)? Thank you very much!

gamma dr at default settings with -10 sharpness. I am working on something that looks good straight out of camera but gamma dr looks the best so far. You can slightly underexpose and get a smooth roll off in the highlights

I use Andrews' settings which are basically what you say with a bit of tuning to rgb curves. It's not 'bad' ooc, but lacks punch and a bit of contrast. But when I try to improve on these, my results never satisfy me fully. Skin tones, banding, noise, smearing...

I'm newby to grading, that should be a big disclaimer ;-) 

I use Andrews' settings which are basically what you say with a bit of tuning to rgb curves. It's not 'bad' ooc, but lacks punch and a bit of contrast. But when I try to improve on these, my results never satisfy me fully. Skin tones, banding, noise, smearing...

I'm newby to grading, that should be a big disclaimer ;-) 

do you use noise reduction before you start your grade ?

Have you tried NX1 with Shogun? How does the image from NX1 looks like (compression, banding, etc.)? Does NX1 works properly (I have heard that you cannot fully control camera with external recorder connected)? Thank you very much!

just got my shogun back from repair yesterday, I'll try and do some tests soon. In setting it up I can tell you that some camera features are not available while the shogun is plugged in, like white balance. But ISO and shutter speed are available, and I assume aperture control as well, but I'm using pl lenses right now so that's not an option anyways.

I think my favorite thing about your method is that the stills from your video really do look just like they were snapping in photo mode. beautiful colors and very natural feeling. My one worry is that you might sacrifice some latitude with this setup? Having not actually used it yet, I don't know that for sure. How do you feel it performs in that regard?