Your ideal NX1 Settings

Geoff CB

So I took advantage of the crazy deal here in Switzerland and apparently I got one of the last ones.

I have a question regarding 4k vs uhd.

From what I gathered online 4k apparently has a little less rolling shutter than uhd, but uhd is supposed to be a little sharper.

I tested both and I can't tell the difference in image quality.

They both have the same horizontal FOV, uhd having more room in the height. Uhd also has more height framing adjustments possibilities if you crop to 2.35:1.

Since there is no horizontal FOV gain with the 4k mode,  I don't see the advantage of shooting 4k over uhd? I could not tell visually that the image was higher res as well.

appreciate some input on this thanks

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

So I took advantage of the crazy deal here in Switzerland and apparently I got one of the last ones.

From what I gathered online 4k apparently has a little less rolling shutter than uhd, but uhd is supposed to be a little sharper.

They both have the same horizontal FOV, uhd having more room in the height. Uhd also has more height framing adjustments possibilities if you crop to 2.35:1.

Since there is no horizontal FOV gain with the 4k mode,  I don't see the advantage of shooting 4k over uhd? I could not tell visually that the image was higher res as well.

what deal?

Do you know how many they still have? Looking to buy one in the end of the month

what deal?

For some reason the price dropped a lot in online stores here. It has been talked about in this thread before. There are less and less stores with the nx1 available though and the most ridiculously priced ones are all sold out and discontinued. I guess it will soon be completely discontinued here. For instance it is already almost impossible to find batteries.

Do you know how many they still have? Looking to buy one in the end of the month

The sub 600usd stores are sadly all gone now, and the best deal left at the moment is 668usd.

Only 6 stores left now that still sell it, most don't have it in stock so I'm not sure they will be capable to order. I guess it's over now...

see here : http://www.toppreise.ch/prod_388442.html

They both have the same horizontal FOV, uhd having more room in the height.

you have this a bit backwards. 4K DCI has more pixels horizontally (4096) compared to UHD (3840) both are vertically identical at 2160. UHD is 16:9 which is why it's the consumer standard as it fits the ratio everyone mostly has already. You likely are "seeing" a vertical advantage in UHD because your monitor is slightly downrezzing DCI to fit your 16:9 monitor.

you have this a bit backwards. 4K DCI has more pixels horizontally (4096) compared to UHD (3840) both are vertically identical at 2160. UHD is 16:9 which is why it's the consumer standard as it fits the ratio everyone mostly has already. You likely are "seeing" a vertical advantage in UHD because your monitor is slightly downrezzing DCI to fit your 16:9 monitor.

I don't have it backwards. I'm talking about field of view not resolution.

They both result in a 2160 pixel high image like you said, however that image is created from a different portion of the sensor.

Try for yourself. Put the nx1 on a tripod shoot once 4kdci and then uhd, the field of view is the same horizontally, you do not see more of the scene in the 4k dci mode despite the bigger horizontal file size, but the field of view is bigger vertically in uhd mode (you see more of the scene vertically in uhd mode).

Are people really clamoring to buy the official batteries?

I have 2 offbrands that I bought for $30 with a travel charger included and they've been as good as the OEM samsung battery 

did the same thing.

I don't have it backwards. I'm talking about field of view not resolution.

They both result in a 2160 pixel high image like you said, however that image is created from a different portion of the sensor.

Try for yourself. Put the nx1 on a tripod shoot once 4kdci and then uhd, the field of view is the same horizontally, you do not see more of the scene in the 4k dci mode despite the bigger horizontal file size, but the field of view is bigger vertically in uhd mode (you see more of the scene vertically in uhd mode).

did the same thing.

I must have misunderstood what you were saying

Regarding batteries - I've used the various Amazon aftermarket batteries for years on Nikons and big Panasonic broadcast-style cameras. Zero problems.

Still, if the NX system is truly dead, don't be surprised if the aftermarket stops producing accessories. I'd consider grabbing some batteries (I don't feel comfy without 5 or so for any camera). I'd also suggest getting the genuine Samsung charger (that SHOULD HAVE SHIPPED WITH THE DAMN CAMERA), for 2 reasons - 1, the aftermarkets are direct-plug so tough to have on a desk; and 2, they're about as cheap as a charger can get. They're all the same base with snap-in plates, and my plate is already falling off when I take a battery out. (Ever have a multi-day gig out of town and go to sleep in your hotel with a dozen batteries on a dozen chargers??)

I'd also think hard about what glass you may want someday, and possibly grab adapters while they're plentiful. Think you'll ever do a music video and want that crazy helios look? Get an M42. Who knows, maybe this stuff will be manufactured for years, but a $12 (or $30) adapter isn't going to get much cheaper, is it? And buy a spare for your favorite glass. (When I shot canon, I just bought adapters and rear caps for most of my Nikkors, really sped things up since the Canon adapters were a fiddly pain). It's gonna suck if you still love the NX1 three years from now and can't stick your glass on it...

Thanks for the advice, very much appreciated. Will get an NX1 next week and thinking about the rather pricey Novoflex adapter as I'm heavily invested into Nikon glass of all sorts. But probably getting one of those cheap China adapters as backup is a sensible insurance...

Regarding batteries - I've used the various Amazon aftermarket batteries for years on Nikons and big Panasonic broadcast-style cameras. Zero problems.

Still, if the NX system is truly dead, don't be surprised if the aftermarket stops producing accessories. I'd consider grabbing some batteries (I don't feel comfy without 5 or so for any camera). I'd also suggest getting the genuine Samsung charger (that SHOULD HAVE SHIPPED WITH THE DAMN CAMERA), for 2 reasons - 1, the aftermarkets are direct-plug so tough to have on a desk; and 2, they're about as cheap as a charger can get. They're all the same base with snap-in plates, and my plate is already falling off when I take a battery out. (Ever have a multi-day gig out of town and go to sleep in your hotel with a dozen batteries on a dozen chargers??)

I'd also think hard about what glass you may want someday, and possibly grab adapters while they're plentiful. Think you'll ever do a music video and want that crazy helios look? Get an M42. Who knows, maybe this stuff will be manufactured for years, but a $12 (or $30) adapter isn't going to get much cheaper, is it? And buy a spare for your favorite glass. (When I shot canon, I just bought adapters and rear caps for most of my Nikkors, really sped things up since the Canon adapters were a fiddly pain). It's gonna suck if you still love the NX1 three years from now and can't stick your glass on it...

agree on the batteries. I need to hurry up and buy the OEM batteries. I just got a fotasy m42 adapter that works great, I can live with the whole focusing past infinity thing. I am going to to get a C/Y Adapter just in case I buy some zeiss lenses

good point about adapters. Btw, I recently bought one of those fotodiox nd vizelex adapters for my g7 and it works great. I know they make them for NX, so they may drop in price soon. I highly recommend them. 

I think the Novoflex is a good adapter, tried it once and it worked very well. What I'm using at the moment is the Fotasy adapter for Nikon G lenses, does the job pretty well.

However most of the adapters I tried have slightly some play when mounted, I forgot whether the Novoflex has any play.The Fotasy (Nikon F/G), Kiwi (Canon EF) I have are tight enough but if I turn them with some force they will still move a bit. The quality doesn't differ much, however the Kiwi is not compatible with all lense/adapters with EF mount that I have, some of them just can't lock. I guess it's the chinese m42-EF NK-EF adapters that are too bad.

Maybe we can also use external battery with a usb cable, but I'm not sure whether it works.

I got dirty cheap M42 and FD, working perfectly fine. I got a telescopic Kiwi to NX, perfect. Got other cheap Chinese ones for other mounts, never had any issues. I would like to get an EF, Nikon and maybe an EF-S too. Maybe go to the Chinese solution again, except maybe the Nikon one.

Dammit :( Yup, time to sell my 50-150. Keeping the camera and buying some spare batteries, thank god it also runs off USB power so It's still usable when the batteries die.

Edit: Keeping the camera itself until it dies for video, but no longer can I rely on it as one of my primary photo cameras.