Your ideal NX1 Settings

Geoff CB

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Excuse me guys, new NX1 owner here. Are all these setting in the camera menus or are you discussing purely post-processing?

in camera settings.

Well, I should've said that the colors weren't right until I left contrast at default. I chose to desaturate in camera.

Here's the NX500 review from cinema5d

https://***URL not allowed***/exclusive-samsung-nx500-footage/

gotcha ! I'm permanently going to leave contrast at default, just need to find the right saturation settings. I'm going to leave the saturation at default for all profiles for my next test and see if I can use the impulz lut to bring them back into a usable range. Should work in theory. The issue with desaturation in camera is that low saturated areas will suffer as they lose too much color information. That is BAD for post work especially when using LUT's. A visioncolor LUT for example will desaturate areas of high saturation and boost low saturation areas. I think you see what I'm getting at here....

in camera settings.

gotcha ! I'm permanently going to leave contrast at default, just need to find the right saturation settings. I'm going to leave the saturation at default for all profiles for my next test and see if I can use the impulz lut to bring them back into a usable range. Should work in theory. The issue with desaturation in camera is that low saturated areas will suffer as they lose too much color information. That is BAD for post work especially when using LUT's. A visioncolor LUT for example will desaturate areas of high saturation and boost low saturation areas. I think you see what I'm getting at here....

Under video settings on my NX I see the following:

Gamma control

Master Black level

Luminance Level

Where are all the other settings you guys speak of?

Under the Gamma selection select Gamma C or Gamma DR and push up on the rear scroll wheel. this brings up saturation, sharpness, color balance, contrast, and a overall color cast adjustment options.

You can also modify these options under standard Gamma by going to the picture profile menu under photos and editing them as well.

Under the Gamma selection select Gamma C or Gamma DR and push up on the rear scroll wheel. this brings up saturation, sharpness, color balance, contrast, and a overall color cast adjustment options.

You can also modify these options under standard Gamma by going to the picture profile menu under photos and editing them as well.

Sweet, thanks. I was selecting Gamma DR but I was not drilling into it any further.

I brought the Canon FD L's out to play. Left Gamma DR at default contrast and saturation with -10 sharpness and wow. Realizing some of these profiles were meant to stay at their default settings...well at least for my grading workflow. I rather reduce saturation than to add on this camera. Even with standard at default settings (-10 sharpness) viewing the camera histogram showed that it wasn't even clipping any color channels but things look vivid as hell ! All the color and highlight info was there just had to be pulled down in post ! Anyway I am getting less banding and stuff out the gamma dr profile even without neat video.

The softness of the image is coming from the super 16mm grain with FILMCONVERT btw. Helps reduce that super sharp image from the nx1 that makes fine detail and look almost aliased. Love the softness reminds me of a diffused look. Really made my wide angles sing

nx1 16mm v2.jpg

nx1 16mm.jpg

nx1 super 16mm v3.jpg

nx1 super 16mm v4.jpg

These look stunning !

Gotta try some new settings !

Interesting! Maybe it's best to keep your default contrast in-camera and stretch out your DR with low-con lenses (like Canon FDs and Contax Zeiss) and post work.

gonna try out the standard profile everything at default with -10 sharpening. No LUT's just good ol' curves. Really going to see how the NX1 holds up as its OWN film stock. The colors are pretty unique

could someone please post a quick comparison clip of nx1 1080p vs 4k.

I have the comparison footage, unfortunately can't put it up till next week(out of state). I will say the colors are the same excellent quality and the rolling shutter performance is astounding, as in better than any camera aside from Global Shutter good.

It has two problems 1)Moire: Thankfully not unusably bad, there is no color banding around the moire. But it is there. 2) Bad low light performance, you don't want to go past 1800 ISO or the footage turns to mush.

...2) Bad low light performance, you don't want to go past 1800 ISO or the footage turns to mush.

I've been shooting as high as iso 2200 and getting very clean footage. If I shot the same scenes at 1600-1800, it might look pretty sad. But opening the shadows with a higher ISO? I've found it shockingly clean. (and I own a shit-ton of lights, but I've had some no-lights-allowed commercial gigs and the NX1 has been the bomb. Had my Nikon body and a panasonic AC-160 "video" camera, never even considered breaking them out). 

I have the comparison footage, unfortunately can't put it up till next week(out of state). I will say the colors are the same excellent quality and the rolling shutter performance is astounding, as in better than any camera aside from Global Shutter good.

It has two problems 1)Moire: Thankfully not unusably bad, there is no color banding around the moire. But it is there. 2) Bad low light performance, you don't want to go past 1800 ISO or the footage turns to mush.

do you find that the image sees a reduction in quality above 1600 in 4k or 1080 ? I mean of course an image will degrade approaching 1600+ but I hear the NX1 get's terrible especially in 1080. The ONLY reason I'm considering getting a sony a7sii for certain low light situations

ISO 2000 (or maybe 2200??) @ 4K, no grading or NR - character1.thumb.jpg.a245b08e9b9b249a6a4

Nikkor 28-70 2.8 @ 70mm, F4 or so.

2200 ISO, just playing with new baby and new lens (kit zoom) - in motion, there's very subtle noise in the soft shadows under the hair/ear/shoulder - but very tiny noise grains compared to the average DSLR, and it tends to go away when the footage is reduced to 1080:

SAM_0004.thumb.jpg.f204a8f65fbb5a15a301d

The sensor is very capable at high ISO (at least at 4K…)

Marco.

1) I was clearly describing the 1080p in my post. That is the question I was answering.

2) In your shots, especially the cute baby, there is a huge amount of compression evident in the shadows. Especially the skin tone on the arm and on the right side of his face in shadow. For web at 720p it will look fine, but not even close to good in 4K.

I love my NX1, but lowlight is a significant weakness.

2) In your shots, especially the cute baby, there is a huge amount of compression evident in the shadows. Especially the skin tone on the arm and on the right side of his face in shadow. For web at 720p it will look fine, but not even close to good in 4K.

It's not perfect, but in motion on my 22" editing bay HDTV (UHD transcoded to 1080 prores) the compression really looks very good - I really don't "see" it if the shot is compelling - and the noise pretty much disappears. And this at 1800+ iso's.

Not an Alexa killer by any means, but for a $1000-ish DSLR body, it kills anything I've used to date in that range. (OK, this week NX1 prices in the US shot back up to release-date levels, oddly enough). I do a lot of small-biz/startup work that I'd turn down if I had rental expenses, and I've generally owned APS-C Nikons or Canons for those gigs. I find it to be a ridiculous leap in quality for that market, and I'm in the midst of a no-lights corporate gig where I expected to be waiting hours for neat video renders. Footage is, in a word, "damn pretty", and I consider DSLRs my "pretty" cameras vs. my do-it-all, small-chip broadcast cameras that I use for corporate events, etc.

Certainly you can get way better high-ISO performance when you get past $2k, but for real-world business clients that usually want 720 web delivery and a 1080 file for the trade show screen or the 60" meeting room TV? It's a fantastic little tool, and if you can properly light a shot, it's pretty killer. Very surprised it's actually useable at high ISO's is my overall point.

Marco.

1) I was clearly describing the 1080p in my post. That is the question I was answering.

yup lowlith is its weokaness but it bet it could be improved if they didn't apply that heavy NR.

Some wine store I found, the christmas display was gorgeous so I just had to film it. This was graded with my previous settings that I posted (the wedding one), barely had to tweak !

oeRc4TO.jpg

TBpjKCt.jpg

rFTqXRm.jpg

nice ! Did you use LUTS on top of your gamma dr footage or is this just custom curves ?

yup lowlith is its weokaness but it bet it could be improved if they didn't apply that heavy NR.

they need to give us the option to disable nr and sharpening in a firmware update. I have a feeling they won't because it will reveal the grain of their sensor and go against the clean & sharp aesthetic the camera is known for

nice ! Did you use LUTS on top of your gamma dr footage or is this just custom curves ?

they need to give us the option to disable nr and sharpening in a firmware update. I have a feeling they won't because it will reveal the grain of their sensor and go against the clean & sharp aesthetic the camera is known for

Exacly the same settings and lut as I posted earlier.