Your ideal NX1 Settings

Geoff CB

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Excellent stuff from the default profile. Have used that extensively with documentary work. Here's another go from me for a usable FLATish profile that doesn't break when grading.   

gotta try your settings. I set my saturation to -3 and contrast to -5 and had terrible results in the blue channel when adding saturation. Some of the worst macroblocking I've seen ! Boy im hoping the issue was lack of data in the color channel ! I've been getting some weird artifacting with the NX1 like detail that I intentionally clipped to black in camera suddenly appearing when a LUT was applied. This camera is becoming quite the mystery to me when it comes to post production

Does anyone of you use the NX1 with an external monitor? I tried using it with the SmallHD 501 that I just got and I can't get it to work. I tried auto, 4k, 2160p and 1080p, the result is always a "no signal" message on the monitor and the camera being extremely sluggish until I turn it on and off again.

Edit: ok, I just found out they're not compatible. Now THAT is a downer. SmallHD says they work on it for firmware  update but can't say if it will actually happen. That just makes me consider giving the NX1 back to the store. I think I'll probably  get more value out of the SmallHD in the long run than the camera.

Does anyone of you use the NX1 with an external monitor? I tried using it with the SmallHD 501 that I just got and I can't get it to work. I tried auto, 4k, 2160p and 1080p, the result is always a "no signal" message on the monitor and the camera being extremely sluggish until I turn it on and off again.

There might be a setting somewhere on the 501 that you have to change too. I've had my NX1 work with 3-5 year old Ikan and Marshall monitors that I would have thought wouldn't work. But then I've tried plugging it into a few different 1080p TVs and most of the time it worked but not always. Keep trying!

There might be a setting somewhere on the 501 that you have to change too. I've had my NX1 work with 3-5 year old Ikan and Marshall monitors that I would have thought wouldn't work. But then I've tried plugging it into a few different 1080p TVs and most of the time it worked but not always. Keep trying!

Just found out they're incompatible. Now contemplating which of the two to exchange.

Just found out they're incompatible. Now contemplating which of the two to exchange.

Me too. I came across someone on Facebook with the same issue. The problem is the SMallHD and not the NX1.

Here's what SmallHD wrote to the guy:

Unfortunately the 500 series and 700 series is not currently compatible with the nx1 camera. I will see if we can contact that news site and ask them to remove that camera from the article that they wrote.

I am sorry for the trouble - did you purchase that from us? Or from a reseller? If you purchased it from us I can set up a return for you. If you purchased it from a reseller you would need to work with them to set up a return.

I've been getting atrocious macroblocking while grading...especially with deluts ! How do you expose with the NX1 to avoid macroblocking ? Im getting it in the highs and low of the image ! Definitely gonna have to change my style of grading to accomodate this smh. Samsung is lucky this camera is so damn sexy or mines would be on ebay after today lmao

I've been getting atrocious macroblocking while grading...especially with deluts ! How do you expose with the NX1 to avoid macroblocking ? Im getting it in the highs and low of the image ! Definitely gonna have to change my style of grading to accomodate this smh. Samsung is lucky this camera is so damn sexy or mines would be on ebay after today lmao

I find that the NX1 can be very tricky to grade especially for the sky. From my experience there isn't much to do, it's just a matter of being soft on the grading. The image of the NX1 is so clean that it breaks down a bit sooner than a GH4 for instance. It's worse if you have a scene that contains tons of details, then the compression can be stronger -> and you have macroblocks even sooner. 

I find that the NX1 can be very tricky to grade especially for the sky. From my experience there isn't much to do, it's just a matter of being soft on the grading. The image of the NX1 is so clean that it breaks down a bit sooner than a GH4 for instance. It's worse if you have a scene that contains tons of details, then the compression can be stronger -> and you have macroblocks even sooner. 

absolutely ! I shot a fountain at f8 and there were so much motion and fine detail from the water droplets that the camera literally said fuck it and gave up. Macroblocking EVERYWHERE. But...that was probably a situation that would bring any compressed camera to its knees

I brought the Canon FD L's out to play. Left Gamma DR at default contrast and saturation with -10 sharpness and wow. Realizing some of these profiles were meant to stay at their default settings...well at least for my grading workflow. I rather reduce saturation than to add on this camera. Even with standard at default settings (-10 sharpness) viewing the camera histogram showed that it wasn't even clipping any color channels but things look vivid as hell ! All the color and highlight info was there just had to be pulled down in post ! Anyway I am getting less banding and stuff out the gamma dr profile even without neat video.

The softness of the image is coming from the super 16mm grain with FILMCONVERT btw. Helps reduce that super sharp image from the nx1 that makes fine detail and look almost aliased. Love the softness reminds me of a diffused look. Really made my wide angles sing

nx1 16mm v2.jpg

nx1 16mm.jpg

nx1 super 16mm v3.jpg

nx1 super 16mm v4.jpg

Interesting! Maybe it's best to keep your default contrast in-camera and stretch out your DR with low-con lenses (like Canon FDs and Contax Zeiss) and post work.

That is what I finally figured out with the nx500. Every single person was using -5 contrast and I just wasn't getting good results. I assumed the issue was the saturation, but no matter what setting I tried, the colors were all messed up. It wasn't until I read the review by cinema5d that I realized he used default contrast, then all of a sudden everything clicked. A lot of the information out their about Samsung cameras are based on using their lenses, but they work completely different when using vintage glass. 

Interesting! Maybe it's best to keep your default contrast in-camera and stretch out your DR with low-con lenses (like Canon FDs and Contax Zeiss) and post work.

I'm thinking that could be it ! Well Ken Rockwell praises the Canon FD L set I use to be sharp and contrasty (which they are) but idk they have a different characteristic than modern lenses. It's a mystery. But yeah default settings across the board ! I'm going to try to use the standard profiles but with the gamme DR things that looked saturated to my eye were not oversaturated when I looked at the scopes. I threw impulz visionspace LUT at it and it brought the superwhites and deep blacks into a usable range revealing that this camera has a lot of hidden data in both extremes of the histogram. Agreed though...I am living by these vintage lenses...I don't even use diffusion filtration anymore to control my contrast with the nx1

That is what I finally figured out with the nx500. Every single person was using -5 contrast and I just wasn't getting good results. I assumed the issue was the saturation, but no matter what setting I tried, the colors were all messed up. It wasn't until I read the review by cinema5d that I realized he used default contrast, then all of a sudden everything clicked. A lot of the information out their about Samsung cameras are based on using their lenses, but they work completely different when using vintage glass. 

I think that cinema5d test was flawed as fuck to be honest. They went with -10 contrast (big no no) AND included the smart dr thingie in the test. Dude every filmmaker knows to stay away from those in camera settings that promise extra DR. I haven't done cinematic tests but I think my DR in gamma DR mode at default settings is giving me something equal to sony a7s cine2 & 4 profiles. The standard picture profiles are equal (to my eye) to the a7s autumn picture style that people are using now. Only so much you can do with 8 bit's anyway. Again that cinema5d test is flawed

I think that cinema5d test was flawed as fuck to be honest. They went with -10 contrast (big no no) AND included the smart dr thingie in the test. Dude every filmmaker knows to stay away from those in camera settings that promise extra DR. I haven't done cinematic tests but I think my DR in gamma DR mode at default settings is giving me something equal to sony a7s cine2 & 4 profiles. The standard picture profiles are equal (to my eye) to the a7s autumn picture style that people are using now. Only so much you can do with 8 bit's anyway. Again that cinema5d test is flawed

Good points, but I was referring to the cinema5d video test of the NX500. My bad, confusing on my part. Not enough people have the NX500, so I usually end up chiming in on the NX1 posts. In the cinema5d test of the NX500, the guy used either standard or custom profile with -4 saturation, 0 contrast, and -10 sharpness. My point was that when you leave contrast at default, you have a little more latitude with your saturation so you can bring it to a uniform standard. Unsure how it works with the NX1, but with the NX500, the colors are not right until you dial down the saturation at least 2 or 3 clicks. 

Good points, but I was referring to the cinema5d video test of the NX500. My bad, confusing on my part. Not enough people have the NX500, so I usually end up chiming in on the NX1 posts. In the cinema5d test of the NX500, the guy used either standard or custom profile with -4 saturation, 0 contrast, and -10 sharpness. My point was that when you leave contrast at default, you have a little more latitude with your saturation so you can bring it to a uniform standard. Unsure how it works with the NX1, but with the NX500, the colors are not right until you dial down the saturation at least 2 or 3 clicks. 

..hmmm....that's interesting dude. If you don't mind send me whatever info you have on those findings with the nx500. Shouldn't be that far off from the NX1. I'll look for the nx500 test on cinema5d