Your ideal NX1 Settings

Geoff CB

man, such a huge different from post! I'd like to be such a good colorist as you seem to be!

p.s.: yours is, for sure, a pro quality video coming out from NX1.

Thank you so much, it really means a lot =) 

I havent been doing color grading for too long, and the NX1 is my first "pro/enthusiast" camera, I used the Canon 600D for about 1,5 years. I think with the NX1, its a matter of time, you need to get around its quirks, get to know its flaws, and most people just didnt bother to explore it enough.

A few pages back (I think it was this topic) we were talking about limiting yourself with gear (lenses), and I think that is the best way to evolve and progress, and the same goes for cameras, I cant afford to buy more than one camera, so when I spend 1500€ on a camera, I need to learn how to come out with the best product I possibly can, because I cant get enough money to buy another camera.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I agree, that's the right way to learn. I'm quite a newby to video editing, hence I had to learn how to use Premiere from zero. But now I know it decently. The difficult part, for me, is to get the look I'd like from a video. I'm sure the NX1 is a great piece of equipment and its fully potential has still to be unleashed. You seem to have gotten really near that potential!

Wow, the price for the NX1 just dropped again in Switzerland at my favorite vendor. Body only is 629 CHF (which is like 630 $) while it's still double the price in Germany. I'm really considering to go buy one even if the system might be soon announced dead, that price is so ridiculous. I'd probably adapt my Nikon glass and be happy.

Edit: Took me 44min of consideration and convincing the gf that there is massive reasons why I totally have to buy it. Now the 5 to 7 day wait for delivery starts... Monday I'll get my SmallHD 501 to play... looks like this year Christmas will be busy.

I find it best to underexpose if you can (situations with specular highlights and huge bright areas exceeding the sensors dynamic range). The codec does an impressive job of keeping information in the deep shadows. To the naked eye these areas look like they have no detail but somehow someway the nx1 has it stored in the files. There seems to be some sort of in camera noise reduction too so I feel safe pulling up shadows using neat video to further clean it up and then applying a layer of grain to add data to those low data areas. The end result is superb.

Im going to do a test using the standard picture profile with lower saturation and  contrast at default settings just to avoid color channel clipping and chrominance noise. I've been skeptical about the gamma dr profile because i've seen banding in certain color channels such as deep blue. Dont know if its cause of the sensor or the picture profile but ill figure it out with a little experimenting

Nice. I briefly had the understanding I could get one with the 16-50mm S (which I think is a must if you go NX, to have 1 native/electronic excellent go-to lens) for 1299 EUR (so did the employee). Unfortunately when finalizing the paperwork they figured out there was a mistake in the calculation and it was actually going to cost 1899. Missing out with a 1299 I felt was kind of a crime, but at 1899, same as elsewhere, I had to let it go...

Phil A reported about a price of 630$ for NX1, which is incredible and insane at the same time. In February, I paid 1.225€ for the body only, which is more than twice, considering the exchange rate.

Nice. I briefly had the understanding I could get one with the 16-50mm S (which I think is a must if you go NX, to have 1 native/electronic excellent go-to lens) for 1299 EUR (so did the employee). Unfortunately when finalizing the paperwork they figured out there was a mistake in the calculation and it was actually going to cost 1899. Missing out with a 1299 I felt was kind of a crime, but at 1899, same as elsewhere, I had to let it go...

1899 with the S lens was a good price anyway.

In Switzerland I checked the big online dealers and body-only price is between 629 and 1399 Chf depending on the vendor, from some it already disappeared completely. I think it's more of a dealer specific dumping of stock than a regular price cut. Actually it's easier to get an NX500 than the NX1 it seems.

The 16-50 S lens is still 1000 Chf with no discounts. But we already had offers for the kit for 2000 Chf over a few weeks in summer which is like 1850 € so prices in Switzerland for the Samsung stuff were really attractive. I'll probably buy lenses used over internet forums as I used to do in the past. Seen the 16-50 S go for below 700 € and the small 16-50 PZ for 100 €, these prices will probably rather drop even more in the new year. Could imagine getting the 16-50 S and perhaps the 16 or 20mm pancake.

Heres my settings for the camera on these shots :

Saturation -2 // Sharpness - 10 // Contrast - 3 // Master black level 8 // 16-235 // For these frames I used the Canon 50mm f1.8 and Samyang 24mm f1.4.

As for the grading, I used no input lut, just the Sunderland (deluts) Lut at 100% // Fade 44 and Sharpen at 18,5 (though I will decrease this) !

As for the curves go, heres an image of how it looks, notice I also lowered a bit of saturation on the yellows and reds :

4ZKbgtq.jpg

Heres a few more shots with this grading :

TS0DBNY.jpg

FgNpWTg.png

H3SOscN.jpg

UcPpXxU.jpg

FNPdod6.jpg

e0M8OXs.png

qqqLVcX.png

4Jl2kRt.jpg

Some of these will require noise reduction, some are shot at 1080p others at 4k, and I will probably tweak further.

I find this grading very versatile, it fits mosty of my shots with little to no tweaking, outside, inside, church with those terrible lights and all that.

Hope you guys like it :d

Interesting to see a similar look on the recent Philip Bloom video promoting the FS5:

http://www.sony.co.uk/pro/article/broadcast-products-pxw-fs5-philip-bloom-review-no-limits

Both cameras look lovely if you ask me.
It really comes down to the skills of the operator/editor.
Props to both Ricardo and Philip and their craftsmanship!

Interesting to see a similar look on the recent Philip Bloom video promoting the FS5:
http://www.sony.co.uk/pro/article/broadcast-products-pxw-fs5-philip-bloom-review-no-limits

Both cameras look lovely if you ask me.
It really comes down to the skills of the operator/editor.
Props to both Ricardo and Philip and their craftsmanship!

That is a huge compliment, im a big fan of Blooms work and how he grades his footage.

My look is slightly more punchy, in the end of the day its a wedding and needs some sort of "happy" or "joyfull" appeal. But I can see similarities, indeed, which is a great thing, he has always been a professional I look up on. I think the quality we get from consumer cameras nowadays (not only the nx1 but others), is astounishing, and you dont really need to spend much money to make your footage look professional, or refined.

These are happy days for film making !

I like those grades, but the lack of any full blacks makes everything seem washed out, especially when surrounded with black framing bars. Personally, I'd work the curves to kick up the very deepest blacks. That church entryway in particular looks very washed out and strange to me.

portaat.jpg

kyltti1.jpg

kyltti2.jpg

My settings:

Normal Gamma, 0-255, Standard picture mode (0.95x green, -10 sharpness)

wowww. Standard pic profile looks awesome here !

Btw i've been playing with gamma dr lately and so far I've settled on -3 saturation and -10 sharpness. What is the lowest you guys were able to get contrast down without artifacting

The NX1 seems to be excellent at what it does, and it's sad that it isn't doing too well. I guess the price drop should be a good reason to pick up a camera now that it costs so little. 

I was just going through pics from the NX1 on various sites, and I noticed some curious things:

1. All photos, regardless of the ISO seem to have a very mildly grainy feel to them, almost like Film Convert grain had been individually added to each photo. It may have to do with the image processing, and maybe their Noise Reduction is not as aggressive or as much.

2. The lenses on the NX1 do not appear to resolve 28 MP easily. There appears to some issues with sharpness, caused by the lens (?).

3. There is a little bit of shutter shock, which I guess is apparent on almost all cameras, on some more noticeably than on other. 

What do you guys think?

The NX1 seems to be excellent at what it does, and it's sad that it isn't doing too well. I guess the price drop should be a good reason to pick up a camera now that it costs so little. 

I was just going through pics from the NX1 on various sites, and I noticed some curious things:

1. All photos, regardless of the ISO seem to have a very mildly grainy feel to them, almost like Film Convert grain had been individually added to each photo. It may have to do with the image processing, and maybe their Noise Reduction is not as aggressive or as much.

2. The lenses on the NX1 do not appear to resolve 28 MP easily. There appears to some issues with sharpness, caused by the lens (?).

3. There is a little bit of shutter shock, which I guess is apparent on almost all cameras, on some more noticeably than on other. 

What do you guys think?

haven't seen any of these issues. My canon fd L set and nikkor resolves detail nicely. I'll try some sigma art lenses to really put the camera through its paces