Your ideal NX1 Settings

Geoff CB

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Looking good Ricardo!

What are your settings for this look?

I also like the colors very much (and cool car, btw)!!!

I used the Kodak 2393 lut from the Osiris lut pack on an adjustment layer, set at 50% opacity.

Camera settings were pretty basic. Gamma control was on "normal" with luminance levels at 0-255 .

Heres my settings for the camera on these shots :

Saturation -2 // Sharpness - 10 // Contrast - 3 // Master black level 8 // 16-235 // For these frames I used the Canon 50mm f1.8 and Samyang 24mm f1.4.

As for the grading, I used no input lut, just the Sunderland (deluts) Lut at 100% // Fade 44 and Sharpen at 18,5 (though I will decrease this) !

As for the curves go, heres an image of how it looks, notice I also lowered a bit of saturation on the yellows and reds :

4ZKbgtq.jpg

Heres a few more shots with this grading :

TS0DBNY.jpg

FgNpWTg.png

H3SOscN.jpg

UcPpXxU.jpg

FNPdod6.jpg

e0M8OXs.png

qqqLVcX.png

4Jl2kRt.jpg

Some of these will require noise reduction, some are shot at 1080p others at 4k, and I will probably tweak further.

I find this grading very versatile, it fits mosty of my shots with little to no tweaking, outside, inside, church with those terrible lights and all that.

Hope you guys like it :d

Saturation -2 // Sharpness - 10 // Contrast - 3 // Master black level 8 // 16-235 // For these frames I used the Canon 50mm f1.8 and Samyang 24mm f1.4.

As for the grading, I used no input lut, just the Sunderland (deluts) Lut at 100% // Fade 44 and Sharpen at 18,5 (though I will decrease this) !

As for the curves go, heres an image of how it looks, notice I also lowered a bit of saturation on the yellows and reds :

FNPdod6.jpg

e0M8OXs.png

qqqLVcX.png

4Jl2kRt.jpg

Some of these will require noise reduction, some are shot at 1080p others at 4k, and I will probably tweak further.

I find this grading very versatile, it fits mosty of my shots with little to no tweaking, outside, inside, church with those terrible lights and all that.

This looks absolutely PHENOMENAL. Wow. You did an awesome job here. Thank you so much for sharing. This might very well be my favorite look of all the NX1 posts I have seen yet. Amazing stuff! Did you use Gamma DR or Normal Gamma in camera?

4ZKbgtq.jpg

TS0DBNY.jpg

FgNpWTg.png

H3SOscN.jpg

UcPpXxU.jpg

FNPdod6.jpg

e0M8OXs.png

qqqLVcX.png

4Jl2kRt.jpg

simply STUNNING.

4ZKbgtq.jpg

TS0DBNY.jpg

FgNpWTg.png

H3SOscN.jpg

UcPpXxU.jpg

FNPdod6.jpg

e0M8OXs.png

qqqLVcX.png

4Jl2kRt.jpg

Yeah Ricardo, those look beautiful. Really, really good stuff there. Did you use the Custom picture profile? And are you still underexposing?

Wow such great response :d I too was impressed, this is my fav grading so far, its quite filmic, with enough punch, it looks quite good when playing !

I used Gamma DR with the settings above. I do underexpose, not by a lot, but just enough to save all the highlights without having any clipping. I dont look at the metering, I just set my exposure by eye, so I dont know if I do by 1 stop or 2 stops, just make sure you're not clipping those highlights.

Hello. I registered here since i finally have a camera that might be able to do decent video (nx500). So this is a very interesting topic for me.

Nice work ricardo_sousa, some of the best stuff I've seen on nx1 if not the best (still the blacks are maybe a tad too washed). Are the deluts coming in rec709 version as well, I thought they come only for log?

From what I've seen the nx1 has a problem of oversharpening. They should have included a 0 sharpening option. If you downscale properly from 6.5k it's not good to add sharpening. Adding any to a perfectly detailed image will only have downsides with no benefit (and it will show up really fast).

But I think this can be solved if downscaling to 1080. Bicubic is a very versatile scaler since it has 2 tweakable parameters (you will get exactly how sharp or soft you need it to be). I strongly suggest people to try it (http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Resize#BicubicResize). Another idea if you want to keep 4k would be to upscale with something like nnedi (almost no added ringing when upscaling) and than custom bicubic back, the results should be very different than adding blur.

Totally agree with underexposing the NX1 : ) Just watch out for your skintones if you underexpose too much - the dynamic is not huge so sometimes you might not want to trade the hightlights for the skin tone...

On my GH4 I used to do the opposite ! Overexpose to avoid that stupid noise everywhere !

I don't wan to hijack the topic, but regarding the exposure I've read that both the NX1 and GH4 are best used up to ISO800 and only up to 1600 if necessary. But if you have to ETTR the GH4 while you underexpose the NX1, wouldn't that in fact give the NX1 the low light advantage? If you have the same lens parameters regarding f-stop and shutter speed, ETTR-ing one by 1 stop while underexposing the other by 1 stop would give you 2 stops lower ISO on the NX1. Am I doing the math wrong in my head?

The screengrabs of Ricardo are mindblowing. Beautiful stylistic grade.

Well, it would be lower ISO, but not same brightness. You would still need to midtone/shadow expose the nx1 after by 1 stop or more and lower the GH4 overall.

Now, if the shadows in nx1 would hold well to this afterexposing, that should give the nx1 a dynamic range advantage. Not sure that can be counted on, but with some denoise/regrain, you can achieve a pleasing image still.

I don't wan to hijack the topic, but regarding the exposure I've read that both the NX1 and GH4 are best used up to ISO800 and only up to 1600 if necessary. But if you have to ETTR the GH4 while you underexpose the NX1, wouldn't that in fact give the NX1 the low light advantage? If you have the same lens parameters regarding f-stop and shutter speed, ETTR-ing one by 1 stop while underexposing the other by 1 stop would give you 2 stops lower ISO on the NX1. Am I doing the math wrong in my head?

The screengrabs of Ricardo are mindblowing. Beautiful stylistic grade.

I am actually glad this came up because I just started experimenting with ETTR and since different cameras have different ways in which their exposure guides work, it can be a little confusing. Isn't it just Exposing To The Right (obviously) just below clipping, by using zebras or the histogram as your guide? If I am correct, then that's what Riccardo said he was doing.

Heres some before and after, so you can understand how i've been exposing. These were with the grade on top, without further tweak, ill reduce the yellow/orange sat. and correct the color balance.

pXczlab.jpg

z8zVmnR.jpg

IuZMBHL.jpg

JX9WjLH.jpg

On both, I pulled either the exposure or the shadows up a bit. (this ballroom reminded me of titanic !)

As you can see, they're just slightly underexposed to avoid the clipping.