jacoblewis

Autofocus and the Samsung NX1

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Wow. That was brilliant. Great job. I had decided that I would pick up an NX1 a few weeks ago, and this makes my decision feel that much better. What lenses did you use for this (just the 16-50mm lens)? I ask because I was wondering about some of Samsung's other lenses that you may have worked with.

I don't usually use AF, but this was impressive. I can see a lot of situations where it would come in handy. Does the AF work well on most of Samsung's lens lineup - 30mm f2.0, 45mm f1.8... etc?

Thanks for sharing this. 

Wow. That was brilliant. Great job. I had decided that I would pick up an NX1 a few weeks ago, and this makes my decision feel that much better. What lenses did you use for this (just the 16-50mm lens)? I ask because I was wondering about some of Samsung's other lenses that you may have worked with.

I don't usually use AF, but this was impressive. I can see a lot of situations where it would come in handy. Does the AF work well on most of Samsung's lens lineup - 30mm f2.0, 45mm f1.8... etc?

Thanks for sharing this. 

The only lenses AF works this well on are the 16-50 kit lenses (both the f/3.5-5.6 and the S f/2.0-2.8, but the S lens works better) and the S 50-150 f/2.8 lens. All the older NX lenses are no good for video AF. I've tried all of them (except the 85 f/1.4).

The 30mm and the 45mm are great lenses though. Especially for the money. The AF is just okay for photos, but unusable for video. 

Good thing you can adapt pretty much anything else for it! It's a great camera. It'd be a shame if they don't continue to manufacture tech this brilliant. 

All the older NX lenses are no good for video AF. I've tried all of them (except the 85 f/1.4).

I have the 85 mm f/1.4 and its autofocus is jerky and pretty unusuable. It tracks ok, but you can clearly see the jumps in focus.

The only lenses AF works this well on are the 16-50 kit lenses (both the f/3.5-5.6 and the S f/2.0-2.8, but the S lens works better) and the S 50-150 f/2.8 lens. All the older NX lenses are no good for video AF. I've tried all of them (except the 85 f/1.4).

The 30mm and the 45mm are great lenses though. Especially for the money. The AF is just okay for photos, but unusable for video. 

Good thing you can adapt pretty much anything else for it! It's a great camera. It'd be a shame if they don't continue to manufacture tech this brilliant. 

I cannot agree - I have 16-50 3.5-5.6 and 45mm 1.8 and AF in video mode is almost the same (I think exactly the same on same apertures). I also had 30mm f2.0 and switch to 45mm just becuase 45mm is newer (support AF speed etc.) and AF is definitely better than on old 30mm. Just check video below with 45mm. 

I cannot agree - I have 16-50 3.5-5.6 and 45mm 1.8 and AF in video mode is almost the same (I think exactly the same on same apertures). I also had 30mm f2.0 and switch to 45mm just becuase 45mm is newer (support AF speed etc.) and AF is definitely better than on old 30mm. Just check video below with 45mm. 

Good to know. I own the 45mm and haven't had as much luck as I have with the kit and S zooms. There's 2 models of the 45mm f1.8. One is for 3D(?) I have the other 45mm f1.8 lens that doesn't have a 3D label on it. Wonder if that's what it is?

3D and "2D" lenses are almost the same - definitely in terms of AF. I chose 2D as it has AF/MF switch which is more helpful than limited 3D features of other version.

S lenses are probably the best (I have not tried any of these) for AF but I think that other two latest Samsung lenses - 45mm and 16-50 PZ - are also very good. 45mm is definitely worth of try - very sharp and contrasty even wide open and nice bokeh... 

For those who own the primes, are you all on the latest firmware for your lenses? Some differences in performance could be explained by old firmware.

I bought both 16-50 zooms but will buy primes for video AF but only if they'll work

ps from the firmware list, it appears 2D/3D = two versions of the same 45mm lens. And then there's a separate 45mm lens that isn't 2D or 3D.

A couple weeks ago, for the first time,  I used the face-tracking AF on the NX1 and 16-50 S lens. I was using it on dolly-in and out shots in a studio and the AF performed 100%. I was impressed that it worked so flawlessly.

very good, professional looking video! Care to share the in camera settings used and grading?

And...yes, the NX1 is a wonderful toy. I definitely hope samsung produces a MK-ii for 2016, with even faster focusing and a sensor able to handle higher iso.

Question, guys: I can't get my 30mm to work on manual focus. Despite setting it to MF through the functions menu, it automatically returns to auto focus when recording starts. Any solution?

Known bug - this is one of the reason why I change 30mm for 45mm 1.8 which has AF/MF switch on its body...

I have the 1650S lens, but in my test the tracking focus seems not to work very well when things get close.

If the subject is in a distance, say 3m-inf, the AF tracking works quite well. But if I lock the focus on a subject within about 2m and start to get close on a slider, the focus will start to lost it, and I see the AF start to show jumping.

I think the AF responsiveness and speed setting has something to do with it, but I'm not able to eliminate the jumping by changing the settings. What's the setting you guys use?