Sirui Monopod Review

mercer

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have the Sirui P204. It's great. Super sturdy and the build quality is great. It replaced a Benro A49T Monopod which in comparison is pooh. Sometimes I'm glad a beautiful blonde left it in a cab in Tokyo.

A beautiful blonde left it in a cab in Tokyo... That right there is a great beginning to a story... Or a tragic ending. 

Either way, yeah I am really happy with it. 

Btw, I watched NOT THERE. Good job. Well written and directed. You did a lot in 3 minutes. The idea of what was real or imagined... or even wished, was woven in well... Right down to the shirt the killer was wearing. Great stage punches too!!!

thanks! that was done for an actors' workshop. they hired me to come in and write/direct three shorts in one 12 hour day. I think Not There turned out the best despite having shot it in 3 hours. The lead actress in that, I feel, is one of those actors who could be a huge breakout success just given the opportunity. and yeah, she throws a great punch. She recently was "this close" to being cast as a series regular on a new FX show that John Singleton is producing, but the went with someone else at the last minute. Heartbreaking to be so close but I'm sure she'll have more opportunities. She deserves it.

thanks! that was done for an actors' workshop. they hired me to come in and write/direct three shorts in one 12 hour day. I think Not There turned out the best despite having shot it in 3 hours. The lead actress in that, I feel, is one of those actors who could be a huge breakout success just given the opportunity. and yeah, she throws a great punch. She recently was "this close" to being cast as a series regular on a new FX show that John Singleton is producing, but the went with someone else at the last minute. Heartbreaking to be so close but I'm sure she'll have more opportunities. She deserves it.

Yeah, she was great! She has a familiar look too, I kept thinking I have seen her in something else. 

Even more impressive that it was shot in 3 hours. Kudos. Sorry I wrote kudos. But seriously, with the set ups and make up, 3 hours is admirable. What did you have a 2:1 shot ratio? Did you shoot it with the gh4? Lenses? I assume you used lenses, which ones?

I watched the other two this afternoon. Good stuff. Loved the first shot in Face the World. Just something as simple as her in focus in the foreground and him pacing out of focus in the background, with his muffled voice, while she looked on was very smart. With that one shot I knew the story.

It's funny though, Favorites and Face the World were a little more dialogue oriented, which actors love, but the strongest performance, in all three was your lead in Not There, which was more of a director's piece. Not that the other actors/actresses were bad.  There was no bad acting in any of those shorts.

Living in LA must be great for the talent pool alone. In South Jersey, where I'm from, you'll get a first time actress who won't work unless she is getting scale... And she isn't even union... Or that good. 

Anyway, good work. I love seeing people making quality work. 

• 1 year later...

@Zak Forsman....I just bought this little tripod...it's delicate...as in only I use it, but it folds down to 16"....you can balance it with a bubble level and what I like, is it fits in a backpack....like you I have a Benro monopod, but I find myself only using the head on a slider...the Manfrotto has a little fluid head...weighs 3.9 lbs and can comfortably handle 4-5 lbs...I only use it with about 3...but what I like most about it, is unlike my monopod, I can walk away from it without fear of it falling over with my camera, and it has a hook for a small sandbank or a camera bag....gets a bit wonky fully extended but for the sake of stealth I can work with it. The weakness lies in the fluid head arm, but the portability more than makes up for that.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1273964-REG/manfrotto_mvkbfr_liveus_befree_live_video.html