A7RII - better sharpness than A7SII?

liork

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

. Yes and in my opinion that's horrible. the a7rii have more options for recording, less rolling shutter in FF mode, who cares if the ful lreadout is crop? you can use more lenses and use the speedbooster, are they even aware of the speedboosters ? it is dissapointing that a7s is not better in video. At this point, after seeing all the test shots, I am disappointed and have to absolutely agree that a7s ii was rushed, and not needed. It is simply a rip of for the guys who bought atomos. Moreover this camera doesn't offer anything more from the a7rii but a bit better lowlight (really in all the tests i ve seen, unless you want to shoot in moonlight, which you still can with the a7s mark i) and the 120fps in 1080p which is still not that stellar. i am dissapointed, rebranded sensor for 2899USD with a major sunspot issue ? WTF SONY ?! they should have waited, bring out a mature product , and separate it from a7rii with video completely like 10bit, (i dont care if the current processors do not support it, change them) so that we dont need to hesitate between those two. oh god sony why ?! 

• Administrators

A7R II clearly better overall for versatility except if you specifically need the best world high ISO for instance. 

I think I have a different point of view.

The A7R II is really a Super 35mm camera.

The A7S II is really full frame.

The 4K in full frame on the A7R II is very poor in low light, can't even do ISO 3200 nicely and the moire & aliasing will always bite you when you least expect it.

So Super 35mm vs full frame, very different look.

Speed Booster Ultra is a good solution for the A7R II but I still think it looks pretty different.

Looking deeply into it at the moment with some real world shooting.

In my experience for daytime handheld shooting the FF 4K mode of the A7RII is almost indistinguishable from the S35 mode as far as resolution and noise performance goes. 

Add the much faster rolling shutter and I get better results in the FF mode in daytime handheld shooting that is my type of real world shooting. For others it might be different...

So for me the A7RII is mostly a FF 4K camera and becomes S35 only when I need a)Low light b)Best resolution with deep DoF mostly with tripod c)crop for handy zoom. 

Check this: 

https://***URL not allowed***/sony-a7s-ii-vs-a7r-ii-test-which-one/

A7R II clearly better overall for versatility except if you specifically need the best world high ISO for instance. 

I disagree, viewed as a dedicated 'video shooter', I think the A7SII wins:

The Sony a7S II has the following advantages:

• Slog3 Gamma Mode (not always recommended) & gamma assist feature.
  • Slightly better quality full frame mode in 4K.
  • Slightly better rolling shutter performance.
  • Better lowlight, cleaner image.
  • 120fps slow motion mode in Full HD.
  • According to user reports less prone to overheating on long recordings.
  • $200 more affordable.

And, then there's this:

https://***URL not allowed***/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/a7s-II-vs-a7r-II-lowlight.jpg

But, everyone deserves their own opinion.

• Administrators

In my experience for daytime handheld shooting the FF 4K mode of the A7RII is almost indistinguishable from the S35 mode as far as resolution and noise performance goes.

Indistinguishable is a term I wouldn't use personally speaking.

Download the original file.

The aliasing is a concern for me.

Add the much faster rolling shutter and I get better results in the FF mode in daytime handheld shooting that is my type of real world shooting. For others it might be different...

So for me the A7RII is mostly a FF 4K camera and becomes S35 only when I need a)Low light b)Best resolution with deep DoF mostly with tripod c)crop for handy zoom. 

They are the same price so if you want FF 4K why cripple yourself?

Forgetting the fantastic 42MP stills for a moment, bearing in mind both for video are roughly the same price, A7S II even a bit cheaper and with the bonus of 1080p 120fps), you'd have to really want that reduced rolling shutter (which you can fix trivially in post anyway) to put up with the aliasing.

Indistinguishable is a term I wouldn't use personally speaking.

Download the original file.

The aliasing is a concern for me.

Indistinguishable is used because of two things:

1. Your example footage falls in the high resolution deep dof shots that consist less than 20% of my type of shooting in which I would use the S35 mode. 80% of MY shooting is with humans as subjects and less dof.

2. Level of pixelpeepness. I might have different quality standards but in general a lot of people (and review sites like newsshooter and cinema5d ) agree with what I see. 

They are the same price so if you want FF 4K why cripple yourself?

1. 42MP As you mentioned.

2. Amazing AF performance. Not only things like the  Eye detection but also tracking in video mode.

3. Less rolling shutter artifacts (see my comment below).

4. Ability to "zoom in" with the S35 and a prime lens. 

Forgetting the fantastic 42MP stills for a moment, bearing in mind both for video are roughly the same price

I cannot because I need it... :)

A7S II even a bit cheaper and with the bonus of 1080p 120fps)

I got my A7rii for $2700  and I have no need for 120p...

you'd have to really want that reduced rolling shutter (which you can fix trivially in post anyway) 

That is NOT correct. While you can fix the rolling shutter from panning you can not a) fix the jello effect (A7sii & A7rii are less prone than the a7sii & NX1 due to IBIS) or b) the artifacts from objects moving relative to the sensor (ibis does not help here). So that includes humans moving in your image. So for MY type of shooting yes the reduced rolling shutter is more important than the potential aliasing artifacts that I rarely notice anyways. 

Again I want to make it clear that this is my personal experience based on my personal needs. I was just commenting on your statement "a7rii is a S35 camera". For me it's both and that is an advantage. 

. Yes and in my opinion that's horrible. the a7rii have more options for recording, less rolling shutter in FF mode, who cares if the ful lreadout is crop? you can use more lenses and use the speedbooster, are they even aware of the speedboosters ? it is dissapointing that a7s is not better in video. At this point, after seeing all the test shots, I am disappointed and have to absolutely agree that a7s ii was rushed, and not needed. It is simply a rip of for the guys who bought atomos. Moreover this camera doesn't offer anything more from the a7rii but a bit better lowlight (really in all the tests i ve seen, unless you want to shoot in moonlight, which you still can with the a7s mark i) and the 120fps in 1080p which is still not that stellar. i am dissapointed, rebranded sensor for 2899USD with a major sunspot issue ? WTF SONY ?! they should have waited, bring out a mature product , and separate it from a7rii with video completely like 10bit, (i dont care if the current processors do not support it, change them) so that we dont need to hesitate between those two. oh god sony why ?! 

Definitely not true......

A7RII is good but even the original A7s is better let alone the A7s II.

In Full Frame mode A7RII and moire and aliasing, something the A7s does not. As someone who has worked with both cameras I would definitely recommend the A7s II over the A7r II.

I think I have a different point of view.

The A7R II is really a Super 35mm camera.

The A7S II is really full frame.

The 4K in full frame on the A7R II is very poor in low light, can't even do ISO 3200 nicely and the moire & aliasing will always bite you when you least expect it.

So Super 35mm vs full frame, very different look.

Speed Booster Ultra is a good solution for the A7R II but I still think it looks pretty different.

Looking deeply into it at the moment with some real world shooting.

I agree with both of you. 

We all have different perspective and different need. 
On my side S35 look in video looks fine to me (I mean, I am happy with the results and I don't need more small DoF, especially because I use 35mm 1.4 type of lenses..) 
The real thing that is a pain for me is the 120fps. I love it and need it sometimes, so it is a pain to not have it with A7R II. 

But my choice is because I do landscape photography a lot, to have the 42mpx over the 120fps. 

Anyway I have a question (Andrew or anyone who used A7RII / A7S II?)  :

Cinema5D write 1080p of A7R II is equivalent to A7S 1080p, (in FF mode), which means very good unlike let's say 1080p of A7R. 
First, is this true ? 
Secondly, and more important for me, is the 60fps 1080p of A7R II as clean as the one of A7S II (both in FF mode), and if not, is it still good and clean or bad? If it is as good it could make it up for me, for the lack of 120 fps... 
Thanks a lot. 

dpreview published their A7rii full review.

When shooting people or grass in 4K with the A7rii these are the differences you should expect between FF and S35:

4KFFvsS35.thumb.PNG.b3a75c6686013552a585

4KFFvsS35v3.thumb.PNG.8fd1791c3f3dad0690

I find them indistinguishable (unable to be recognized as different), and I see the same in my videos when shooting people and it is where I find the FF "look" most important.  

If you shoot landscapes/buildings the S35 mode is better, but there the differences between the transformation of the focal length are less important anyways. 

The surprising result from their test was the 1080p mode between A7rii in FF mode and A7s:

A7riivsA7s1080p.thumb.PNG.417b96ff055bc6

The 1080p from the A7rii looks very good! I guess I could shoot more in 1080p now... 

And for the ones that are interested between the A7rii vs the A7s here is another review: