First short profile: Constructive criticisms appreciated.

Ty Harper

Hey all,

Just shot/edited my first piece. I'm coming from a radio producer/documentarian background and have produced some stuff for television, but this is the first thing I've shot and edited myself.

It was done strictly as a learning exercise. I've dabbling in video in my spare time (which has been scarce and so painstakingly slow) for about 5 years now and have learned a lot on these boards. I definitely appreciate the information and experiences shared here and would greatly appreciate any constructive criticisms and advice.

Password: Malvern

I did basic color correction as I'm just beginning to learn how to grade, and honestly thought it looked decent until it got uploaded to vimeo. So any vimeo tips would be appreciated as well. 

Here's a run down of the stuff I used:

Camera: 5D MKII (ML Raw)

Lens: Canon 28mm F/2.8, Canon 100mm F/2.8 L, Canon 80-200mm F/2.8 L

Audio: Sennheiser G3, Marantz PMD661

Lights: F&V R-300, Lowel Rifa Ex-88

Conversion: MLVMystic

Edit/Basic Color Correction: Da Vinci Resolve 11 Lite

Export: ProRes 422 HQ (resized to HD 1920x1080) 

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/145473746" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="https://vimeo.com/145473746">People I Know - Kevin Jones (No Grade)</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/tyharper">Ty Harper</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hey all,

Just shot/edited my first piece. I'm coming from a radio producer/documentarian background and have produced some stuff for television, but this is the first thing I've shot and edited myself.

It was done strictly as a learning exercise. I've dabbling in video in my spare time (which has been scarce and so painstakingly slow) for about 5 years now and have learned a lot on these boards. I definitely appreciate the information and experiences shared here and would greatly appreciate any constructive criticisms and advice.

I did basic color correction as I'm just beginning to learn how to grade, and honestly thought it looked decent until it got uploaded to vimeo. So any vimeo tips would be appreciated as well. 

Password: Malvern

Video updated. 

Appreciate the feedback! 

Really hoping for critiques of the piece that'll make me a better editor/shooter.

Looks great, love the colors. I also liked the way you did the voice-over and focus. The music didn't quite work for me though. Also, I'm not sure about your goal, but if you wanted to use this as a bio/promo video, perhaps you should add (even begin with) your best pictures, we don't see much of your work. Overall, great job.

Looks great, love the colors. I also liked the way you did the voice-over and focus. The music didn't quite work for me though. Also, I'm not sure about your goal, but if you wanted to use this as a bio/promo video, perhaps you should add (even begin with) your best pictures, we don't see much of your work. Overall, great job.

Thanks Sekhar! 

I agree, it would've made sense to throw in actual examples of the photographer's work.

Unfortunately this was more an exercise in shooting/editing/getting familiar with grading than sensible storytelling :-)

Hey all,

1st grade. Just did the interview shots.

Password: Malvern

https://vimeo.com/145587099