Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera

Jimmy

Ive come across an issue, the ProResHQ files don't playback in Quicktime when they come straight out the camera (tried 2 different sandisk extreme pro 64gb sdxc cards in the camera).

I have to convert them to another ProResHQ file in a convertor. Is my camera creating bad files?

• 1 year later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi Andrew and folk on the forum, I thought some comprehensive hands on review on the camera was due a while back, there seems very little in terms of real production work done with the camera out there, I've been mulling the micro studio for it's 4K, and use it as I use the pocket camera. Any leads or ideas out there?

Thanks

Having used this camera a ton, I have to say I actually prefer it to the Pocket that I also own. I shot with the Micro and the Ursa Mini 4.6k Pro on a shoot last month and they looked fantastic together. The only reason I hold on to the Pocket is it is easier to use with a pistol gimbal if I don't want to use the Ronin. I'm not a review guy so I leave that to those so much more knowledgable than myself. 5abe7eaf33c07_ScreenShot2018-03-30at11_14_45AM.thumb.png.18d2c56be5d8e561d9a9fc34d4d6b213.png

11 minutes ago, graphicnatured said:

Having used this camera a ton, I have to say I actually prefer it to the Pocket that I also own. I shot with the Micro and the Ursa Mini 4.6k Pro on a shoot last month and they looked fantastic together. The only reason I hold on to the Pocket is it is easier to use with a pistol gimbal if I don't want to use the Ronin. I'm not a review guy so I leave that to those so much more knowledgable than myself. 5abe7eaf33c07_ScreenShot2018-03-30at11_14_45AM.thumb.png.18d2c56be5d8e561d9a9fc34d4d6b213.png

Wow, they just have that look to them. Well done. So is it the 60p you like, form factor, or does it have a different look to it you like better output wise over the BMPCC?

Yeah, it is a pretty great compliment to it especially if you're down resing the UM to 1080 which is the case with most delivery in my world.

The 60p is a big plus but it's also the new processing that get's that much more our of the sensor - and the sensor tweaking done for the BMMCC.

With skin tones it skews a bit green compared with the Pocket - an easy tweak in post  and there's a great LUT that we use with the Micro that gives it a great starting point.

Amazing little camera that is still way beyond any DSLR/mirrorless from Sony /Panny etc. for solid HD look, DR, color and grading.

2 hours ago, graphicnatured said:

Great looking shot. What sets the BM look apart IMO. What was your lens for this?

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Wow all three of these shots look like they came from a large sensor in Raw output! Just crazy good work with them, and BM is just amazing for what they produce output wise for the cost of these cameras.

Damn it I Need to buy another one! They are that good.

They really are amazing. Not as convenient or as loaded as some of the other cameras available, but for the price you cannot buy a nicer image. I think we all know that in this forum though.

5 hours ago, Jim Giberti said:

It reminded me of a spot I did recently. This is the Micro w/SB, Sig 18-35mm, Hoya ProND. I think your actor may have been calling mine :)

5abec9902e5ec_WRBCKCellphone.thumb.jpg.e18cbb5c293ceef8dcf6b428f4fd4c1b.jpg

THAT'S who she was calling. I thought she was calling B&H.

Yeah they really are special cameras. Every time I read too much discussion about 4K this or 4K that, I go back to my Vimeo favorites and watch some videos from the Pocket, the Micro or some ML Raw.

This was shot handheld with a 14mm f/2.5 on the Pocket... no rig... no Speedbooster... just the Pocket and a native lens... I don’t even think he used an IR filter...

1 hour ago, mercer said:

Yeah they really are special cameras. Every time I read too much discussion about 4K this or 4K that, I go back to my Vimeo favorites and watch some videos from the Pocket, the Micro or some ML Raw.

This was shot handheld with a 14mm f/2.5 on the Pocket... no rig... no Speedbooster... just the Pocket and a native lens... I don’t even think he used an IR filter...

Love this.

@anonim yeah that looks fantastic... even at 720p... even on my phone. I’ve been saying for the past year that as soon as used prices for the BMCC hit the $600 mark or less, I will most likely buy one in the EF mount.

It’s a shame more people aren’t happy with what’s already out there. Even serious BMPCC owners on the BMCuser forum are abandoning their Pocket cams for the GH5/s. If BM doesn’t make a Pocket II soon, they’re going to lose their core customer base and I’m afraid the Ursa variants will not keep them in the camera business. 

From recent interviews, we’ve learned that they’re chasing that 4K Pocket, which I think is a huge mistake for them. They could have developed a 2.5K/3K, up to 60p/72p, Pocket camera and it would have been a huge nod to their loyal customer base.

Btw, I’ve always been fond of this BMCC test, shot with a Tokina 11-16mm...

12 minutes ago, mercer said:

Thanks - not just very nice, but also pretty useful (as comparison point) for one of the projects I'm working just now...

It seems to me that BM camera constructors have a bizarre and rare talent to make their cameras as user un-friendly as possible... as they give to users an bonus addition of the free test on user patience level... So, alas, I felt down on that test 4 times... but even today I'm thinking to sell GH5 and buy again BMCC. Of course I'll not, just because Panasonic choice is on the totally opposite pole of seductiveness - absolutely reliable, user (artist) friendly and anti-betraying for going to creative war against world's entropy. So I have to continue to pretend and take a membership of poor-man praising of 10bit vs 8bit, V-log vs S-log vs F-log or vice versa, etc...

@anonim nice... is that your video?

Yeah BM cameras are very frustrating. But that “Baby Alexa” image is just undeniable. And I am a believer in simplifying the process as much as possible, so I would never rig those cameras as much as a normal user might. 

I’ve used IBIS, and 4K and all the bells and whistles. And I wasn’t happy until I took a step back and looked for pure IQ... which the BM cameras and the 5D3 have in spades. As you know, I chose the 5D3 for some of the same reasons you are choosing the GH5.

But when I was deciding between the 5D3 and GH5, I looked at as much footage as I could, as well as my own personal tests over the past couple of years, and decided that I would get a more “cinematic” image from a 5D3 a lot easier than I would from a GH5. Not one day since have I regretted that decision. But we all have different needs and skill sets, and a camera is a personal choice. I just happened to find that my emotional, artistic connection fits more with Raw video, than it does with the pedestrian look I would have achieve with the GH5... obviously your mileage may vary.

@mercer Yes, it is quite understandable - samples from 5D3 are often simply wonderful and mesmerizing to my eyes.  (And btw no, that is not my video, mine are always packed - or rather burdened - with more philosophic pretension :)

Unfortunately, for me, camera, in fact, is not at all, or very little, personal choice - it is mostly, so to say, circumstantial choice, best middle compromise at the moment... It seems to me that only when all other practical matters of shooting are under someone's control - choice of camera as final signature is indeed free. That's not my case... For example, tomorrow, or day after, I'll go on shooting some scenes with extremely interesting person - girl who graduated at fine art/painting, but at the moment she above all other her interests is triathlon champion of, I think, Middle Europa and she is preparing for Tokyo Olympic game.... I made scenario about her life's hard background as decisive power in moment of competitive crisis  - she is a a child of war refugees who lost everything but - as she also - love and memories of their lost paradise... It has to be movie equally about sportsman efforts and questions about value of memories, of dignity traces in quickly dissapearing life and brutally trivial world of humans as mostly brainwashed egoistic consumers and cruel hedonists/predators, politically still too divided into roles of imperial masters and oppressed second-race slaves.

So, despite of all of that ambitions :) I desperately have no time to repeat anything with her, her time dictate mine (in this case it doesn't mean anything that I'm person of, say, important works in literature), I have to catch moments briefly and - as most important - with bare minimum instruments at disposal in quickly changeable interior and exterior circumstances... In a word, I have to have fully reliable compromise of easy portability-moving-ness, battery life, plenty of media space, take-and-leave external monitor/record-ness in combination with inner display quality on bright sun, base low angle shot capability, of course enough DR, as much as possible flexibility in post for repairing WB or framing mistakes, and maybe above all IBIS, etc... If it is not so, if I pay that lovely girl, if I have have enough time for framing, and if she has a time and will to patiently listen my directive - I'll take dear brick of, say, BMCC and put in on a gimbal or tripod, with crane, sliders... In fact, just if bare heart of BMCC might be in GH5 ibis body I'd take it - at the moment 4k is not any important condition for me, 60p and slow motion for me doesn't mean anything, problem of RS is purists exaggerating...

Finally... unfortunately, although I have great respect and love toward Canon's achievements, I had never considering usage of Canon ("never", it means when several years ago I've found a time and spare money for more seriously play with visual messaging of mine ideas) - simply because of stupid character barrier in myself... As a company Canon always looks to me as Big boss, biggest name in a near disposable camera world, and all my life story forced me to always choose and support alternative way... Blackmagic, from the other side, and its role is for me almost revolutionary one - they offer Resolve to everybody, they resurrect Fusion which I embraced after Autodesk's killing of beloved Combustion...