Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera

Jimmy

2 minutes ago, richg101 said:

Often it's cheaper to just send a replacement than try to diagnose the problem only for the customer to complain online.  I've yet to send examples of what I've found with my camera since I don't think the issue is really an issue unless the footage is pushed heavily.  I'm on the fence.    I always felt amazed how much the pocket could do, and know that what I'm seeing is likely a firmware fix rather than a physical problem.    because i know how good they are with customer service I'm happy to sit back and see.  if in 1 -2 months - or 8 months for that matter I feel the camera isn;t doing what it should I'll get in touch with them.

But that's the micro which you are betatesting like all early adopters do with blackmagic stuff, giostrante has a pocket.(yes, the thread is about the micro :))

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I haven't even acknowledged those comments because he's deluded.  There's nothing wrong with his camera.  My pocket reacts exactly how his does - as does every other bmpcc.  All his actions do is increase the price of future products from BM because they have to add costs for the idiot factor.  

BM's customer service personel:-

"We got another email from a customer expecting his camera to perform with a iphone torch as lighting.  What should I do boss?"

BM's customer service manager:-

"just send him another one.  Don't bother wasting Mr Petty's time.   The sooner we get his unit back, the less time he can spend shooting crap 'low light tests' and uploading them to youtube"

LMAO! Answering stupid forum posts after I'm a few beers into my Friday night - hurt feelings? No, just venting!

Just can't be bothered with idiots, who can't even post properly or give good examples.

Its amazing how many people claim they know how to use cameras & then, well...they don't. I bet they think that they could just pick up a RED or Alexa and it will all be just fine & dandy - I mean they cost so much...!

You can push the pocket, in RAW or ProRes, quite hard, but everything has its breaking point - for £600, you've got more than enough wiggle room (not that you should ever need it!).

This has happened on BMCuser with the exact same, probably, non-problem.

I own neither the Pocket or the Micro, but from reading this thread it seems like the Micro really isn't the successor to the Pocket... Or the Pocket II. Minus the obvious differences, do you early adopters see more similarities or differences between the two? 

I ask because I am still very interested in the pocket, but I don't want to buy one yet if the actual Pocket 2 is right around the corner... Plus I am still slapping myself for not getting it during the infamous fire sale of '14. I had enough money to buy 4 of them and sell 2 or 3 for a profit, but I thought they were just clearing inventory for the newer model. When I decided to buy just one, they were unavailable. 

4 hours ago, mercer said:

I own neither the Pocket or the Micro, but from reading this thread it seems like the Micro really isn't the successor to the Pocket... Or the Pocket II. Minus the obvious differences, do you early adopters see more similarities or differences between the two? 

I ask because I am still very interested in the pocket, but I don't want to buy one yet if the actual Pocket 2 is right around the corner... Plus I am still slapping myself for not getting it during the infamous fire sale of '14. I had enough money to buy 4 of them and sell 2 or 3 for a profit, but I thought they were just clearing inventory for the newer model. When I decided to buy just one, they were unavailable. 

This is blackmagic.  Nothing is around the corner.  Even if they anounce it tomorrow you wouldn't get your hands on one for another year.

I think the differences are pretty surface level.  The pocket can be used on its own, the micro needs a monitor or viewfinder (unless you're using it as a go pro or crash cam).  The micro does 60p, In the future it may do global shutter.  The micro has a bigger battery. The micro has an expansion port that someone might design a remote control for at some point.  The micro (I think) has slightly less rolling shutter.  I think thats pretty much it.

2 hours ago, dombra said:

might be a stupido question, but how do you change iris on BMMCC? I am using BMPCC Metabones speed booster if that changes anything?

Stupid question only if you had the Metabones Nikon version, which just has an aperture ring. For the EF-version, Metabones says:

Build-in electronics to control lens aperture.

The Lens aperture is set by the controls on the camera body.

Which are: IRIS and up and down buttons. Can't tell if this works reliably though, I only ever had the Nikon speedbooster.

On April 10, 2016 at 11:24 PM, Axel said:

Stupid question only if you had the Metabones Nikon version, which just has an aperture ring. For the EF-version, Metabones says:

Which are: IRIS and up and down buttons. Can't tell if this works reliably though, I only ever had the Nikon speedbooster.

It works just fine. I've used it with M43 lenses. I feel if you have all the accessories, the micro is if not a step up from the pocket, a worthy addition to. The noise I've seen is in absolute crap light at 1600iso. I'll know more as I use it in regards to if it pops up on me often in 800, but I haven't noticed it yet. 

Turns out pins that control aperture are broken on Speed Booster. Thanks for your answers.

Another thing - once in a while there is an exclamation mark blinking in place of SD card symbol when I am recording on the screen of BMMCC. Is that frame dropping or overheating?

3 hours ago, dombra said:

Turns out pins that control aperture are broken on Speed Booster. Thanks for your answers.

Another thing - once in a while there is an exclamation mark blinking in place of SD card symbol when I am recording on the screen of BMMCC. Is that frame dropping or overheating?

That's frame dropping. What cards are you using?

2 hours ago, cojocaru27 said:

Guys, still don't get it why there is so less footage of the BMMCC out ? Except for 3 or 4 nicely done test footage, there is nothing. If you look at the mini ursa 4.6k you'll find plenty, some are shorts already.

Problems, maybe?

Or they're all out shooting so much SlowMo that time itself has started to take a toll on them & they...are...moving...so...slowly...now...

• Super Members
4 hours ago, cojocaru27 said:

Guys, still don't get it why there is so less footage of the BMMCC out ? Except for 3 or 4 nicely done test footage, there is nothing. If you look at the mini ursa 4.6k you'll find plenty, some are shorts already.

My guess.

Probably because its a niche camera in a niche segment. Ive had almost all the BMD cameras but have no intentions to buy it. Its probably not selling nearly as much as the pocket and most people buying it doesnt use it as an A-cam.

Just my guess.

6 hours ago, cojocaru27 said:

I have it at home, but I have to rig it with the monitor and I don't have a rig, so I'm waiting to buy it in order to shoot something.
Of course I made some test at home, the quality is just awesome, but it takes a little more then my other camera (GH4) to go out and shoot, because it is a part of a bigger system, it is not a DSLM.

Of course I'd love to have a little 3" monitor to just use it as a DSLM for quick work, but I've bought it for the gig where I have some time, not for run and gun situations.

2 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

My guess.

Probably because its a niche camera in a niche segment. Ive had almost all the BMD cameras but have no intentions to buy it. Its probably not selling nearly as much as the pocket and most people buying it doesnt use it as an A-cam.

Just my guess.

Had they managed to get the global shutter to work and also offer a compact EVF, sales would be much much stronger.

Just my guess :)