Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera

Jimmy

1 hour ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

No there's a challenge!

What's the Exacta mount lens you are using & which adaptor, more importantly.

Edit: Sorry, i'm a dumbass! Isco-Gottingen - but still, which mount adaptor?

Also, did you think about the Schneider Light Meter Lens - not sure it would work, but if anyone could get it working, you could!

Scroll down a little:

http://captjack.exaktaphile.com/Schneider%20page.htm

yep.  it's a 24mm/4 isco lens for exakta, with a exakta-ef adaptor.  Then the ef-bmmcc is handled by a modified bmcc to leica R speed booster 0.64x.  The reason was that since I never use electronic EF lenses I couldn;t justify investing in the proper ef unit - its almost £200 more for the ef version due to the electronics.  The dumb leica version has the same glass but was cheap on ebay so I grabbed it, stuck it on the lathe, taking the thickness to the correct length, and fitted an ef mount to the front.  - the result is a dumb ef adaptor with the 0.64x speed booster glass in there.  the 24mm lens is the first ever 80degree fov lens for slr cameras.  a dog really - terrible resolution, focus direction wrong, the auto aperture knob is not very suitable for video use since it easily gets knocked and you don;t realise!  However I bloody love the body design and way the lens interacts with light.  seems a better match for the smaller sensor too.  at around a 3.5m focus point I have hyperfocal meaning everything is adequately in focus from 2m to infinity.  close shots just need me to set focus using the scale.

TBH I have never used one of those light meter lenses.  however i expect it has a little dial on the back, so wouldnt need integration to the camera itself.  great idea man!  I have to say though, that I like the idea of sticking the camera at 8ooiso, 180deg shutter, getting a light reading of the sky, and setting the exposure so at one stop closed aperture the sky peaks.  I then know I can be closed one stop to maintain highlights and open up when shots don't include the sky.  the latitude on this sensor is so good as long as it's showing peaking for the sky at 100% in the mid day sun I think the latitude allows for more than adequate exposure for at least a few hours before and after when the base exposure is set.   

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
22 minutes ago, richg101 said:

yep.  it's a 24mm/4 isco lens for exakta, with a exakta-ef adaptor.  Then the ef-bmmcc is handled by a modified bmcc to leica R speed booster 0.64x.  The reason was that since I never use electronic EF lenses I couldn;t justify investing in the proper ef unit - its almost £200 more for the ef version due to the electronics.  The dumb leica version has the same glass but was cheap on ebay so I grabbed it, stuck it on the lathe, taking the thickness to the correct length, and fitted an ef mount to the front.  - the result is a dumb ef adaptor with the 0.64x speed booster glass in there.  the 24mm lens is the first ever 80degree fov lens for slr cameras.  a dog really - terrible resolution, focus direction wrong, the auto aperture knob is not very suitable for video use since it easily gets knocked and you don;t realise!  However I bloody love the body design and way the lens interacts with light.  seems a better match for the smaller sensor too.  at around a 3.5m focus point I have hyperfocal meaning everything is adequately in focus from 2m to infinity.  close shots just need me to set focus using the scale.

TBH I have never used one of those light meter lenses.  however i expect it has a little dial on the back, so wouldnt need integration to the camera itself.  great idea man!  I have to say though, that I like the idea of sticking the camera at 8ooiso, 180deg shutter, getting a light reading of the sky, and setting the exposure so at one stop closed aperture the sky peaks.  I then know I can be closed one stop to maintain highlights and open up when shots don't include the sky.  the latitude on this sensor is so good as long as it's showing peaking for the sky at 100% in the mid day sun I think the latitude allows for more than adequate exposure for at least a few hours before and after when the base exposure is set.   

Damn, didn't really think about Exacta lenses for a long while & now they make adaptors to M4/3 - they're not fast, but there's some interesting lenses out there.

Off to ebay I go!

7 hours ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

Damn, didn't really think about Exacta lenses for a long while & now they make adaptors to M4/3 - they're not fast, but there's some interesting lenses out there.

Off to ebay I go!

exakta is the mount where you'll find all of the interesting lenses.  igahee cameras from Germany had a very nice list of third party lens manufacturers.  all of the more exotic european lens makers seemed to be manufacturing in the exakta mount

10 hours ago, richg101 said:

Looks great. 

If only there was a tiny tillable viewfinder... 

I wonder if any company will make an HDMI version. I also wonder if BM will ever allow the global shutter to work. 

Now I am looking to see if the composite output of the micro can drive an Olympus VF... 

2 hours ago, richg101 said:

exakta is the mount where you'll find all of the interesting lenses.  igahee cameras from Germany had a very nice list of third party lens manufacturers.  all of the more exotic european lens makers seemed to be manufacturing in the exakta mount

Yep, I know. When I got myself a camera, years ago, every lens that i wanted had an Exacta mount, but there weren't any adaptors yet to use them.

Instead I went the M42 way & was happy, but still a bit sad. Today I've been filming with the Meyer Lydith 30mm f3.5 & Meyer Orestor 100mm f2.8 + Iscorama 54 on the Pocket & the images may not be razor sharp, but so what because the way they render the colours & contrast absolutely blow me away every time. 

I'll see any modern lens & raise you a vintage German master piece every time!

Real lack of BMMCC footage, why is that exactly? And i'm not talking about 60fps stuff!

I mean, when the Pocket came out, you just couldn't move for footage!

Why is this? I don't care if its just Cats & Dogs (well I do actually), but why not just show us something?!

• Administrators

It's not been out very long, but it's maybe that the Pocket was a new concept and very much aimed at us, whereas the Micro is more aimed at pros who need a POV camera in a fridge.

I am as confused as you are about Blackmagic's move away from the enthusiast market.

43 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

It's not been out very long, but it's maybe that the Pocket was a new concept and very much aimed at us, whereas the Micro is more aimed at pros who need a POV camera in a fridge.

I am as confused as you are about Blackmagic's move away from the enthusiast market.

I suppose stuff will emerge, eventually. Or its just that the compressed RAW only works in Resolve & not everyone uses or wants to use Resolve.

How are you liking your copy? Is the image quality so much better than the Pocket or is it just about honours even, combined with better battery life etc...

I just really like my Pocket cam & have been experimenting loads more with it - really going bare bones & coming to terms again with what a S16 image is really all about.

Think i've finally started to crack the whole timelapse mode, which to begin with I thought was really not that great compared to a DSLR.

I think the pocket camera had a lot of things that were amazing, and a lot that needed to be improved.

1.  the lcd screen was low-resolution and off-axis viewing was hard

2. the moire was bad

3.  the battery life was very low

I think the micro improves on this.

Sure you have to buy something like the small hd 501 monitor or blackmagic assist - but really if you shot on the pocket without a monitor it was so easy to get focus off all the time.

I look forward to seeing more from this camera.  All the stuff I have seen so far has been really impressive.  No global shutter, but still the motion feels really nice on it.  It's definitely miles ahead of the Sony A7SII and the image quality is also miles ahead of it.

1 hour ago, Zak Forsman said:

I've been shooting a lot with my BMMCC for a short, but it's not test footage or I would have happily shared a ton by now. Soon though...

Think this is the thing with the Micro - everyone's just got straight to shooting something, cheers.

2 hours ago, Ed_David said:

I think the pocket camera had a lot of things that were amazing, and a lot that needed to be improved.

1.  the lcd screen was low-resolution and off-axis viewing was hard

2. the moire was bad

3.  the battery life was very low

1. Used worse screens & with a crude viewfinder, I've never ever missed focus.

2. Yes, yes & yes - stopped using RAW because of this & only vintage lenses + anamorphic lenses (also avoid moire creating things like the plague!).

3. Not a problem - swap the SD card, swap the battery.

Pocket has/had the best image out there, hands down, no question about it!

Just hoping that BM announce a camera that lies inbetween the BMCC & Pocket...

• Super Members
14 minutes ago, cantsin said:

Does anyone know whether the BMMCC suffers from the same IR pollution issue as the Pocket - i.e. do you still always need to have IR cut filters on the lens, or has the camera's internal filter stack been improved?

Ive never used an IR cut on the pocket and never had an IR issue. It depends on the ND.

15 hours ago, richg101 said:

I've hardly even had time to test the little camera.  It's soon to be fitted into forbes70, and I'm hoping global shutter gets enabled.  from some of the footage I've shot I have noticed more obvious fixed pattern shadow noise than I have seen from the pocket.  @Zak Forsman have you noticed this?

Interesting...so perhaps people aren't finding it that much of a step up after all or the better RS & 60fps has caused the sensor to take a slight hit.

So JBs statement that this isn't a Pocket replacement are correct - the Pocket, even with its very few downsides, is still a unique animal & will remain so.

Hi guys! New in the forum and in the pull-the-trigger days... Have not read all the thread but will do. I am lost because i am reading that one metabones adapter for M43, that fits in a PCC, does not in the MCC??? So, first of all: lenses like Olympus Zuiko 12mm f/2 or any other M43 lens will be working? Second and very important too... anybody can confirm a Canon FD lens adapter for this camera? Thank you very much.

49 minutes ago, jovito said:

Hi guys! New in the forum and in the pull-the-trigger days... Have not read all the thread but will do. I am lost because i am reading that one metabones adapter for M43, that fits in a PCC, does not in the MCC??? So, first of all: lenses like Olympus Zuiko 12mm f/2 or any other M43 lens will be working? Second and very important too... anybody can confirm a Canon FD lens adapter for this camera? Thank you very much.

As far as I am aware all native micro four thirds lenses will work as its an active mount.  You control aperture by the camera, focus will be manual using the lens as theres no autofocus.  And Is will work on the lens that has it.  But there will be no auto correction of distortion and chromatic aberation like there are with mft stills cameras.

As for FD adapter:

and im sure there are others.

As for the Metabones, I don't have any answers myself, but this thread on bmcuser talks about it if you haven't already seen it. http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?16702-Pocket-speedbooster-doesn-t-fit-on-BMMC

Been shooting with the Micro for over a week and have shot a ton with the Pocket, which I love. So far, I like what I see out of the Micro and the obvious plusses like 60p and battery life. As Andrew pointed out earlier, the buttons suck. I'm getting better with them, but the record button seems to suck way more than all the others which is just plain unfortunate. There are times when inside my wooden cage (which also sucks) that I fumble around trying to start or stop recording. Major pain in the ass. This wooden cage is going into the spare parts drawer for when I need some mounting options for something McGyvered. Once I do some edits I'll share footage.