Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera

Jimmy

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Cool set-up @Andrew Reid I feel like a kid all over again, playing Lego. 

I can imagine your left hand of course stays on the lens to focus and zoom & ND, but where do you guys put your right hand (which is the most essential stabilizing point of a camera system), on the top handle? that would feel awkward as it's on the lens plane it needs to go to the right, so a grip. 

Does the body have a screw on the right side so one could attach a grip? Seems no, so is there a perfectly fitting accessory that gives me a screw hole on the right side without blocking stuff? maybe I can use a flat long cheeseplate attached to bottom tripod socket angled to the right & make a screw hole at the bottom of the grip, 

God we're doing the work and design of what Canon/Sony/Nikon/Panasonic engineers do for us, giving the human hand a comfortable place to support the camera, 

It's fun to design your own camera though, true grown ups lego that makes beautiful imagery

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

@Ebrahim Saadawi it just needs someone to design a smart-grip for it via the COM port now... dials and buttons for aperture, shutter, etc. plus positionable record button and custom buttons. No way to attach it to the side though unless you use a cage. Blackmagic put just one thread on top of the camera, but there's 3 under the camera so it doesn't twist on the base of a cage.

Guys i have the problem that Mac OS doesnt recognize the dng files of the BMMCC, so the only way to see the files is with Resolve.. They appear black on Mac OS. Not even Photoshop or After Effects can open them.. Is anybody else having these issue?

9 minutes ago, ChemaMumford said:

Guys i have the problem that Mac OS doesnt recognize the dng files of the BMMCC, so the only way to see the files is with Resolve.. They appear black on Mac OS. Not even Photoshop or After Effects can open them.. Is anybody else having these issue?

Ah, Just realized that it only happens with the RAW 3:1

9 minutes ago, ChemaMumford said:

It is probably not the fault of your OS nor of your image manipulation programs.  Keep in mind that dng footage is essentially a bunch of raw still photo files (one for each frame of footage) consecutively named and located within a directory/folder.  So, trying to view the folder might not work in Photoshop.  However, you should be able to view an individual dng file as a raw still photo.

2 minutes ago, tupp said:

It is probably not the fault of your OS nor of your image manipulation programs.  Keep in mind that dng footage is essentially a bunch of raw still photo files (one for each frame of footage) consecutively named and located within a directory/folder.  So, trying to view the folder might not work in Photoshop.  However, you should be able to view an individual dng file as a raw still photo.

Hi Tupp, 

Of course, i mean view each individual frame... Not the folder.. I have been using the BMPCC the last two years.. But seems to be the RAW 3:1 dng files that are not possible to view except with Resolve. My OS is El Capitán... 

8 minutes ago, ChemaMumford said:

I have been using the BMPCC the last two years.. But seems to be the RAW 3:1 dng files that are not possible to view except with Resolve. My OS is El Capitán... 

If you can view the files in Resolve within the OS in question, then it is not the OS.

Can you post a link to one of both 1:1 and 3:1 dngs?

On March 26, 2016 at 2:59 AM, gsenroc said:

Zak is that a Rode VideoMic Go on you rig? How do you like this audio setup?

close. it's a rode videomicro. $60. i originally bought it for the pocket to get better reference audio. it's very, very good. I actually haven't tried the micro cinema camera's mic yet to compare the two. But I hear it's improved over the Pocket.

21 minutes ago, Zak Forsman said:

close. it's a rode videomicro. $60. i originally bought it for the pocket to get better reference audio. it's very, very good. I actually haven't tried the micro cinema camera's mic yet to compare the two. But I hear it's improved over the Pocket.

Nice! I'm going to get one as well, a great combo.

4 hours ago, Zak Forsman said:

Yeah, I have heard nothing but good things about the video micro. I have read that in a lot of instances, if you watch your levels, you can get some usable, in camera audio with it?

2 hours ago, mercer said:

Yeah, I have heard nothing but good things about the video micro. I have read that in a lot of instances, if you watch your levels, you can get some usable, in camera audio with it?

It still depends on the noise of the camera preamp,how close you are to the sound source and how noisy the environment is. 

In my experience, if the these points are somewhat satisfied then yes the videomicro can give excellent results even with in camera audio.

2 hours ago, Don Kotlos said:

It still depends on the noise of the camera preamp,how close you are to the sound source and how noisy the environment is. 

In my experience, if the these points are somewhat satisfied then yes the videomicro can give excellent results even with in camera audio.

The Micro Cinema Camera has MUCH better audio than the original pocket. 

I don't get the fascination with "cages" - it adds hundreds every time you get a new body. I've been using the same rails & baseplate setup for a couple years now. Though I don't stick a microphone on my camera, I kinda like it next to the talent (for true event and run & gun shooting without a boom op, I use a "real video camera" with mics and XLRs and NDs). I once stuck a battery-powered cheap lav inside the front of one of my rails for synch when i couldn't get a recorder-out working with a motion shot and it sounded about as good as any other mic stuck to the camera, and was invisible - I'll probably make that permanent for when I'm moving too much. I have a little 15mm rail clamp with a lock for two cables, that gets 8" HDMI and camera-in-extensions with female ends, so I'm not fiddling with the camera ports to hook up. Haven't spent a dime on camera rigging in a couple years now.

yeah, i'm the same. I only use the mic for reference audio. bought it for the Pocket because the built-in mic was trash. Wanted something better for syncing double system. I like your lav idea. I might look into doing that. prefer low profile solutions like that. 

My two arrived today.  Sweet little puppies, RGB LEDs sold me instantly (I'm a cheap date). 

Haven't had a chance to check the image out yet, but the bodies are cute, build quality seems great.  Fans, interesting.  I had them sitting on my desk, running to full-charge the batteries (I only worked out later that you can probably continue charging after powering off via the power button, still, was a nice burn in).  Strangely, the fan vibrations caused both cams to quietly hum on the wooden desk - at first I couldn't work out where these faint strange whines were coming from : ).  It was only vibration, lifting them off the desk cured it.

One thing though - a) the top inside of both boxes was marked with a kindof black friction pattern, exactly where it touches the lens mount blanking plate, as if the camera was pressing hard against it during transport (or manufacture?).  And b) the plastic receptacle holding the body was cracked with large splits, in both boxes.  Anybody else see that?

1 hour ago, _gl said:

Haven't had a chance to check the image out yet, but the bodies are cute, build quality seems great.  Fans, interesting.  I had them sitting on my desk, running to full-charge the batteries (I only worked out later that you can probably continue charging after powering off via the power button, still, was a nice burn in).  Strangely, the fan vibrations caused both cams to quietly hum on the wooden desk - at first I couldn't work out where these faint strange whines were coming from : ).  It was only vibration, lifting them off the desk cured it.

Vibrations at a small scale can act like an anti aliasing filter. Maybe that explains the difference with the pocket :)

8 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

Vibrations at a small scale can act like an anti aliasing filter. Maybe that explains the difference with the pocket :)

Interesting.  I've only had a very quick look at a ProRes clip so far (I don't have my monitoring setup working yet so it's hard to even focus), but I saw aliasing on that.  So it's possible that only RAW debayering in Resolve is improved.  That would suck a little, as PoRes does come in handy.

49 minutes ago, richg101 said:

No there's a challenge!

What's the Exacta mount lens you are using & which adaptor, more importantly.

Edit: Sorry, i'm a dumbass! Isco-Gottingen - but still, which mount adaptor?

Also, did you think about the Schneider Light Meter Lens - not sure it would work, but if anyone could get it working, you could!

Scroll down a little:

http://captjack.exaktaphile.com/Schneider%20page.htm