Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera

Jimmy

I just compared some DNGs from 4.6k in full resolution in addition to DNGs from BMPCC in last version Resolve 12 vs. RPP and found that Resolve improve their debayer algorithm compared to previous version! Aliasing became less visible and its now pixel to pixel same as VCDMF algorithm in RPP. Thats very huge step forward! Also maybe its a reason why Zak Forsman noticed less aliasing from Micro Cinema Camera when he test it.

But the Highlights are still better handled and controlled in RPP. In more-less normal expose situations Resolve comes very close to RPP when use Davinci ACES workflow, but in extreme situations or when you need to recover a lot of underexposed shadows RPP looks way better and keeps more dynamic range. Hope developers add 3:1 and 4:1 DNG support to it.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
29 minutes ago, Zak Forsman said:

12mm is pretty wide. I have a speedbooster on it that makes it nearly equivalent to a Super35 sensor, which is a field of view I'm more used to. and I have it rigged like this currently. when i go shoulder mounted the monitor gets rigged to the front with a Noga arm connected to two handles, and a shoulder pad slides onto those rear rods where the monitor is now. whole thing weighs roughly 7lbs and that's a fairly heavy lens on it. it's just enough weight to counter "micro jitters" without making it a beast to lug around.

9Dc5qaG.jpg

wow!! Great!!! thank you!

Amazing cage, follow focus and rig!! i hope I can find something similar here in Italy!

I'm thinking to Video Assist for the monitor, but maybe there are some better choices, like your smallHD one :)

3 minutes ago, shijan said:

I just compared some DNGs from 4.6k in full resolution in addition to DNGs from BMPCC in last version Resolve 12 vs. RPP and found that Resolve improve their debayer algorithm compared to previous version! Aliasing became less visible and its now pixel to pixel same as VCDMF algorithm in RPP. Thats very huge step forward! Also maybe its a reason why Zak Forsman noticed less aliasing from Micro Cinema Camera when he test it.

Interesting, that explains the reports of less moire.  I'll have to run some of my old problem Pocket footage through it and see how much it helps.

I wonder if the Micro has the improved debayer on-board in ProRes?  If not, RAW might become mandatory for me.

Here's some resolution, dynamic range, noise, FOV and DOF comparisons. Everything in the room was strategically placed for this test (took almost six months). I desaturated it to make it easier to focus on the aforementioned elements and prevent permanent blindness :)

BMMCC SLRmagic 12mm @ t1.6 800 ISO

BMMCC Sigma 20mm @ f/4 + speed booster 1600 ISO

5D MK3 raw Tokina 28-70mm @ f/5.6 6400 ISO

BMMCC-12mm-t1.6-800-ISO.jpg

BMMCC-20mm-f4-+-SB-1600-ISO

5D-35mm-f5.6-6400-ISO

BMMCC-12mm-t1.6-MFT 800-ISO

The BMMCC has slightly more dynamic range than the 5D. The speed boosted BMMCC matches the 5D for resolution in the center, but is very soft in the corners. The speed boosted BMMCC is about a stop noisier than the 5D. The BMMCC with the SLRmagic 12mm is quite soft in the center but a stop faster at the same DOF as the 20mm speed boosted, and less soft in the corners. 

2 hours ago, squig said:

The BMMCC has slightly more dynamic range than the 5D. The speed boosted BMMCC matches the 5D for resolution in the center, but is very soft in the corners. The speed boosted BMMCC is about a stop noisier than the 5D. The BMMCC with the SLRmagic 12mm is quite soft in the center but a stop faster at the same DOF as the 20mm speed boosted, and less soft in the corners. 

Something I noticed, I have two bmpcc/ef speed boosters and one was soft in the corners while the other was barely so. Noticed this with my Sigma 18-35mm wide open. Have been using the sharper of the two on my Micro ever since noticing that. The soft-cornered one gets to chill with my Pocket.

14 minutes ago, Zak Forsman said:

Something I noticed, I have two bmpcc/ef speed boosters and one was soft in the corners while the other was barely so. Noticed this with my Sigma 18-35mm wide open. Have been using the sharper of the two on my Micro ever since noticing that. The soft-cornered one gets to chill with my Pocket.

That's interesting, have you tried to play with the infinity adjustment helicoid of the speedbooster and see if the problems lies there? I might eventually get one of these, and if there is sample variation I will have to buy a few and keep the best one.

The 60p out of this camera is unbelievable. Shooting some stuff this afternoon. This is the camera I have always wanted. 

The level of stress I have shooting with this vs a larger setup or a 5D3 raw is so much lower. It looks great and is really fun to shoot with. The Small HD with LUT support is really needed to get the best out of it. Running Hook's Basic LUT in the still below. Obviously don't judge the quality of the image on that, just showing how effective it can be for judging exposure. Screen grab taken within Small HD monitor.

Rig:

Eazy Handle V2 (Really nice well balanced skateboard handle. Can be configured to fit basically any DSLR. Made in the USA. Really good price, multiple versions depending on your needs.) http://www.eazydolly.com

BMMCC

Small HD 501

Canon EF 35mm F2 IS

HOYA IR Cut 82mm

Singh Ray Variable ND 82mm

IMG_5537.JPG

SHD_IMG_0025.jpg

8 hours ago, Zak Forsman said:

as superb as @Brian Caldwell 's glass is, I've found that on nearly every speed booster I've used or modified the optical cell is usually not perfectly concentrically aligned in the metalwork.  the small set screw that prevents the cell rotating pushes the optics off centre and also at an angle (skewed) meaning the projected image doesn't fall onto the sensor perfectly flat.  so centre will be sharp and corners will be out of focus.   - one side will be focused forward of the in focus middle and the other side will be focused behind the in focus middle area.

my fix has been to remove the set screw all together, remove the lens cell, and then apply a heavier grease which fills the threads more effectively - this means the set screw is no longer needed since the cell wont rotate or move unless you physically adjust it by hand.  

if you want to see what I mean, follow metabones's instructions on how to adjust the back focus of the speed booster: http://www.metabones.com/article/of/infinity-adjustment-speed-booster-only 

you'll see that when you untighten/tighten the setting screw the cell will shift sideways as the screw makes contact with it.  i think it's because the thread between the optical cell and the metabones adaptor metal work is a bit too loose allowing wobble/skew of the optics.  The application of a heavy silicone based grease fills the thread up so the optic is perfectly centred.  Only then do you obtain the best from the glass in these great adaptors

Obviously without a locking screw the cell is prone to adjust through hand contact if you regularly remove and fit the adaptor, but if it remains on the camera all the time the cell won;t ever change its optimal position. 

7 hours ago, BenEricson said:

The 60p out of this camera is unbelievable. Shooting some stuff this afternoon. This is the camera I have always wanted. 

The level of stress I have shooting with this vs a larger setup or a 5D3 raw is so much lower. It looks great and is really fun to shoot with. The Small HD with LUT support is really needed to get the best out of it. Running Hook's Basic LUT in the still below. Obviously don't judge the quality of the image on that, just showing how effective it can be for judging exposure. Screen grab taken within Small HD monitor.

Rig:

Eazy Handle V2 (Really nice well balanced skateboard handle. Can be configured to fit basically any DSLR. Made in the USA. Really good price, multiple versions depending on your needs.) http://www.eazydolly.com

BMMCC

Small HD 501

Canon EF 35mm F2 IS

HOYA IR Cut 82mm

did you tested IR pollution in this camera? is it needs hoya UV-IR filter all the time same as Pocket Camera or you expect to use it only with variable ND filter?

• Administrators
7 hours ago, BenEricson said:

IMG_5537.JPG

My rig is looking similar to this but just the monitor and a top handle.

However I like your hotshoe rail and F&V ball head... where you get them from, any links to the actual items so I can order?

PS - 1.74x crop with the BMPCC Speed Booster... nice. Canon APS-C is 1.6x crop so not far off fully using the image circle of EF-S lenses.

Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 very nice on it.

35mm F2.0 IS also.

SLR Magic 10mm T2.1 best one without Speed Booster I have used and the Panasonic Leica 15mm F1.7 best ultra small option.

16 hours ago, araucaria said:

That's interesting, have you tried to play with the infinity adjustment helicoid of the speedbooster and see if the problems lies there? I might eventually get one of these, and if there is sample variation I will have to buy a few and keep the best one.

That did the trick. Mine was way off. No more soft edges. One slight problem: While I was checking infinity focus the speed booster got jammed on. When I manhandled it off I noticed I'd sheared off the adjustment screw. Oops :flushed:

On March 27, 2016 at 8:26 PM, Andrew Reid said:

However I like your hotshoe rail and F&V ball head... where you get them from, any links to the actual items so I can order?

I'm loving the 35mm f2 IS. Not the sharpest less in the world, but the IS is huge for keeping your footprint down when shooting. 

The F&V ball head is just off of amazon. I recommend this cold shoe mount as well, it came with a tool and is well built. The last one I bought was not. 

http://www.amazon.com/Cold-Mount-Blackmagic-Cinema-Cameras/dp/B014DLP51A?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

http://www.amazon.com/Lighting-Junior-Joint-Ball-Head/dp/B00PGM9RK6/ref=sr_1_1?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1459145089&sr=1-1&keywords=F+V+ball+head

The hotshot rail is a different story. The one I have actually came with the Eazy Handle V2. They do sell the cold shoe mount version, but it looks like it only comes in the 8" size. If that's too large, I bet you can email them and get a smaller size. 

Eazy Handle is a cool company. They develop handles for skateboard filmers/DSLR stuff. It is all made in the USA and their service is really awesome.

http://www.eazydolly.com/new-products/8-10-cold-shoe-bar-w-camera-mount.html

• Super Members
1 hour ago, duffman said:

Is there an ISO button? This thing, with manual lenses and a ninja on top, could be a lot of fun. Likewise, this and a ninja star would make a great high quality point and leave it for fixed rig and stuff like that. When are atomos bringing out a star with a wifi app? ;)

Shot Raw and the iso is mearly meta data.

(personaly I have never shot a single clip out of native iso on any BMD in prores either.)

• Administrators

Indeed ISO in raw is done in Resolve, there is a control for ISO in the Camera DNG box in version 12 now

However for ProRes shooting of course it would be useful to have an ISO button.... no... a dial, it should be on there but isn't.

I miss the BMCC's cute touch screen.

The Micro is pretty darn cute in itself though. Here's my rig...

blackmagic micro cinema.jpg

Kept it simple and small:

Wooden Camera top handle
Blackmagic View Assist via HDMI
Metabones Speed Booster (BMPCC) version for 1.74 crop, almost Super 35mm
Tamron 24-70mm F2.8 VC
Heliopan vari-ND with hard stops
Articulated hinge mounts the screen (I hate the spidery arms) - this part was a cheap generic part from eBay
Base is my quick release plate!! It needed something to stand on even when not on a tripod because the camera body is so insignificant!

On March 27, 2016 at 11:26 PM, Andrew Reid said:

PS - 1.74x crop with the BMPCC Speed Booster... nice. Canon APS-C is 1.6x crop so not far off fully using the image circle of EF-S lenses.

Just for accuracy, the crop on the BMPCC SB is 1.67 which is that much closer to APS-C.

It's been misunderstood using vertical vs rectangular sensor measurements and Brian's admittendly inaccruate stats on the original SB page. But the calculaion is as follows:

BMPCC SB affect on any given focal length is x .58, multiply that number by the sensor crop, which in the case of the BMPCC is 2.88 to a full 35mm sensor.

So, for instance a 50mm lens on the BMMCC with BMPCC SB is 50mm x .58 = 28mm x 2.88 = 83.52.

This is why the Sigma 18-35mm is such a great one lens solution for these two cameras with the SB ad MB dumb adapter. With the MB SB It gives you a relative 30 - 58mm f/1 lens and then with the dumb adapter a (rounding off) 52mm - 100mm f1.8