Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera

Jimmy

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, dvcrn said:

Are there any small screen options that you could slap on the cam? Preferable something "micro" and a little tinier than the small HD options

I think by far and by far the best ultra low budget monitor option is the Aputure FineHD VS-2, as it gives you a massive 1920x1200 native resolution! :-o 

But it is unfortunately 7 inches, good for some ("that is what she said..."), but not everybody's cup of tea. And a small 4 or 5 inch one for an ultra compact set up would be handy, like a small high resolution smartphone screen (you'd think there would be plenty of options there for manufacturers to purchase from the smartphone screen market to turn into camera monitors!! But no :-/ ).

Next step up would be to buy a BMD Video Assist of course. 

Yep 7 inch is nice for tripod but too large for run&gun and close to eyes situations. There is also 1920x1200 7" Neway CT710HO $359 or iKan DH7 $459. Video Assist not a perfect solution for monitor too. fan noise, too heavy, low battery life, connectors at the side makes it bulky and unsafe in some situations, rumors that screen is not IPS.

4 hours ago, graphicnatured said:

Two questions Lance: Which speedbooster is that? I have both the pocket at the bmcc and neither fit. Is that the Zacuto EVF snap? If so can you shoot 60p with it? 

Hiya, it's the Snap version. I haven't tried shooting 60p yet. Well, I switched it on to 60 and got an error on the screen Unsupported Format (1080p). :( Guess not. Darn! And it says in the FAQ section. I probably should have checked that out first. I guess the Zacuto is gonna have to be swapped with the Assist.

But hey, if you have a big HDTV with a car battery attached, it works just fine!

It's the Nikon F speedbooster. It was tight on my Pocket Cam and worse on the Micro. I'm assuming I got a bad one.

3 minutes ago, Lance Thorn said:

Hiya, it's the Snap version. I haven't tried shooting 60p yet. Well, I switched it on to 60 and got an error on the screen Unsupported Format (1080p). :( Guess not. Darn! And it says in the FAQ section. I probably should have checked that out first. I guess the Zacuto is gonna have to be swapped with the Assist.

It's the Nikon F speedbooster. It was tight on my Pocket Cam and worse on the Micro. I'm assuming I got a bad one.

I have a loose one and a tight one. The latter still goes on my Micro but it is little stiff. If you want, Metabones is still offering new back mounts if your fit is too tight. I know because I just had them send me one yesterday by emailing support through their web site. no charge.

25 minutes ago, Zak Forsman said:

I have a loose one and a tight one. The latter still goes on my Micro but it is little stiff. If you want, Metabones is still offering new back mounts if your fit is too tight. I know because I just had them send me one yesterday by emailing support through their web site. no charge.

As much as I rely on their products, another $480 really freaking blows. The wooden camera cage also is not that great when operating this camera. The record button is extremely hard to press with this cage on. Just an FYI for you peeps.

19 minutes ago, graphicnatured said:

As much as I rely on their products, another $480 really freaking blows. The wooden camera cage also is not that great when operating this camera. The record button is extremely hard to press with this cage on. Just an FYI for you peeps.

they won't charge you for the new rear mount. they'll just send it to you. no shipping charge either unless you want it overnight. it will have less restrictive tolerances.

oh and I have the WC cage too. the buried rec button doesn't bother me. In fact, i like that I know I just need to jam my thumb in that little corner and press without looking to start recording. but I can see how others wouldn't like it.

2 hours ago, Lance Thorn said:

But hey, if you have a big HDTV with a car battery attached, it works just fine!

Pfff.. I can´t believe the Zacuto does not support 60p.. It was a perfect combination.. That broke my heart.. For what i have heard other EVF´s like the Cineroid does support 1080/60p

Just got the Nikon speed booster. It fits! Bonus!

So I see Premiere Pro now supports raw playback and has all the juicy raw image adjustment sliders including de-noising. I've always found Adobe camera raw to be a much better debayer than the Resolve debayer, but the After Effects workflow is painful. I'm not a huge Premiere fan but if the debayer IQ is equal to ACR I may have to switch.

1 hour ago, graphicnatured said:

Thanks for the reminder, Zak, as I believe I'v read that before in a forum but forgot. I assume we send in the BMPCC SB? Once it is switched I assume it just also fits the BMPCC better?

i believe thats one way to do it. I opted to have them send me the part so i can make the swap myself.

Basically after reading as much as I could about the Blackmagic micro camera, I still think maybe the Sony RX100 IV is the better deal and camera for small POV crash cam work.

The micro to work as a decent handheld rig requires something like a smallhd 501 and a small rig - so looking more at 2k plus cost of lenses - so around 3-4k total, vs the 1k for the sony rig.

the micro camera will definitely have a better look, no doubt about that - what I have seen looks great - but it basically needs to be rigged out and turned into a rival to the Sony FS5.

but without a small wireless option yet, it makes it even bulkier.

I'm curious why it doesn't have built in wifi to transmit to an ipad like the dji phantom?

I think until that's available, I'll hold off.

But as a camera to use vs FS5 - I think it will have a much better IQ and compact feel - and you can rig it to v mount batteries and it will still probably weigh less.

That's the comparison I'd love to see.

7 hours ago, Lance Thorn said:

Hi lance. Didn't quite understand. Are you saying the zacuto snap version doesn't work with the bmmcc at 60p or doesn't work at all? I have one and was interested to know if the set up works fine with this camera.

thanks

2 hours ago, Ed_David said:

The micro to work as a decent handheld rig requires something like a smallhd 501 and a small rig - so looking more at 2k plus cost of lenses - so around 3-4k total, vs the 1k for the sony rig.

Fair point, for sure. one benefit to it needing to be rigged out is that it lands at 5 to 8 lbs depending on what you add, which is just enough weight to nix those micro jitters you see in handheld clips from ultra light cameras. and with the Micro you *could* use a cheaper monitor option, like an Apurture VS-1 FineHD because unlike the Pocket, the Micro will let you send a "Video" feed over HDMI, while capturing in "Film" mode. With the Pocket, you needed an external monitor with LUT capability to see anything other than the flat BMDFilm image you were capturing.

3 hours ago, BenEricson said:

Just shot with the micro around town this evening. I love the bright record light RED when recording, green when in stand by. So many minor improvements that make the bmmcc so much better than the original pocket. This camera is a lot of fun to shoot with. The 60p is really awesome.

First thing I noticed about the 60p was that it had beautifully rendered clean motion, unlike what you see with many DSLRs where there is often a smeariness, regardless of shutter angle. I wonder if that's due to capturing in h.264? not sure, but it always irritated me.

28 minutes ago, Tiago Rosa-Rosso said:

Hi lance. Didn't quite understand. Are you saying the zacuto snap version doesn't work with the bmmcc at 60p or doesn't work at all? I have one and was interested to know if the set up works fine with this camera.

thanks

I think the Zacuto EVF doesnt work on 50-60p.. But it works with 24,25,30p.. I have been researching a bit, and it happens also to GH4 users.. The zacuto even in works in 4k 24p underscaled but not 1080 60p

So sad man.. I am thinking to sell mine and get a Cineroid EVF4CHE (hdmi version) If anybody else knows another nice option for evf that supports from 24p to 60p.. I would like to hear about it